Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My X3 Unexpectedly Detunes During Performances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefmiker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: My X3 Unexpectedly Detunes During Performances Reply with quote

A sudden, unexpected detuning of my X3 has been occuring during performances and rehearsals. It only has ever occurred when I have other active MIDI devices connected to it and only after I've been playing for a while (e.g. middle to end of the second set). Right in the middle of working the keys during a song, the whole keyboard detunes a few notes. Restarting the X3 alone doesn't resolve the problem. Things return to normal only after I power off the X3 along with the other devices and then power them up again. After I do that, things are usually fine for the rest of the show.

I saw no anomalies when I checked the X3's global settings while the keyboard was in this detuned state, including the master tuning which remained at 440. The X3 also remains detuned when changing programs and combinations - only powering off and on seems to resolve it.

The problem hasn't occurred when the X3 is not connected to active MIDI devices. I've gotten no low battery warning messages on the X3. My current idea is that a MIDI message may be getting corrupted and causing the detuning.

My MIDI setup has 2 connections: Alesis QI49 (MIDI out) to X3 (MIDI in) and X3 (MIDI thru) to Alesis QSR (MIDI in). The QI49 keybed is using the QSR sound banks (channel 2) and sending program change messages to the X3 (channel 1). The detuning has always occured while I'm playing the X3's keybed. My MIDI cables are fairly new and the connections are tight.

This is a strange one. Any ideas?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitch bending behaviour could be caused by a faulty joystick. Taking a look at the MIDI signals coming out of the X3's MIDI out port might help to confirm this.

chiefmiker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea voip. My challenge is catching the behavior while monitoring. It's never occurred in my home practice space unfortunately. Being able to reproduce the problem will be a big step in determining the cause.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any strong transmitters near the location(s) used for rehearsals and performances? Police, fire, broadcast. cellphone, or is there a mobile phone/smartphone placed close to the keyboard?

chiefmiker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting thought. I don't know but I'll have to look into that (broadcast stations). None that I'm aware of anyway. I do keep my cellphone on top of the X3 when I'm playing. I'll keep it off there going forward and see what happens.
SoundWerx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like the X3 is receiving MIDI control information from the Alesis QI49. Is it always the same place while playing a particular song?

I can't recall if the X3 has global effects or not. It's possible a control change code is changing an effect. CC 94 (5Eh) Effects 4 Depth (previously Detune Depth) could possibly do that.

You could set the X3 to ignore control information or take a look at the Alesis settings.
chiefmiker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.... my first thought was that it was a rogue or corrupted MIDI message from either the Alesis (sorry, it's actually a VI61 - don't know why I typed QI49) or the QSR unit. Good call on disabling CC messages on the X3! I'm currently only using the VI61 to perform program changes on the X3. So long as I limit things to that type of control, disabling CC messages should do the trick - given that this is in fact the cause.

I've kept my cell phone away from the X3 for the last couple weeks and the problem hasn't reoccurred. If it does, I'll try disabling CC and hope it does the trick.

The problem occurs in different songs, but always after I've been playing for a while - an hour or so. That's the only consistent factor that I've recognized so far.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: