Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

playing external devices + internal sounds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
babyface2500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: playing external devices + internal sounds Reply with quote

Hello Korg forums! This is my first post here & it's a bit of a specific question.

Without turning Local Off & controlling from FL Studio, I'm trying to use the Kross to play back it's own sounds, as well as have it's keys play soft synths, such as Sylenth & FM8, on different MIDI channels.

So I believe Combi mode is what I'd be looking for. So a total of 16 channels/sounds can be played.

So, is it possible, after setting up correct MIDI routings within FL Studio & the synths themselves, to have a setup like the following:

Kross Channel/Timbre #1= Triggers Sylenth inside FL Studio only
Kross Channel/Timbre #2= Triggers FM8 inside FL Studio only
Kross Channel/Timbre #3= Triggers an internal Kross E.Piano only
Kross Channel/Timbre #4= Triggers an internal Kross String only

Then, have each part be MIDI sequenced separately in FL Studio?

A user on Reddit told me to look into the Korg Kross options called "INT, EXT,EX2,Off"

But I don't own a Kross yet, so I can't try anything out myself.

EXT & EX2... do those mean external devices? So, only 2 external devices can be played?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describe is possible.

I frequently use my own Kross to take MIDI from an external sequencer or controller, and play certain channels from the Kross, while also driving other synths elsewhere.

It's easiest to do this with plain old MIDI.

You can run as many external channels from the Kross as you like, up to its limit of 16. The EXT and EX2 settings are different in that EX2 lets you set things like Bank Select data. It has nothing to do with only using two external channels.

Hope this helps. Short answer: the Kross will do everything you ask.
SuperKons

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using my Kross to play its own internal sounds, and a few sample libraries loaded up in Sample Tank 3, via MIDI. As koekepan rightly indicated, you would set EXT/EXT2 for those channel you want them to use the external sounds. Also, make sure the MIDI channel numbers on the Kross match those in FL. In my setup, I am using channel 1G, as I do not need a particular configuration. It also gives me the ability to use the Kross arpeggiator with the samples Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: