Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compressor Suggestion for E2S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neon Horn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Compressor Suggestion for E2S Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I'm hunting for a compressor for my korg E2S. Something to help glue the sounds together.
The only compressor I've used with the E2S was the FMR RNC... which I've had decent results... I'm just wondering if there are any other recommendations. It'll just be used on the stereo buss to help give the sound a little life.
I've considered the following (under $500.00 compressors).
DBX 266XS
DBX 166XS
Art Pro VLA II
Art Pro SCL2
and of course repurchasing the FMR RNC
Let me know your thoughts if you've had any experience with these units.
Many thanks,
Mike
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard someone say how the FMR RNL was very good and better at certain results.
May well be worth considering or auditioning against the RNC.
Neon Horn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spheric El wrote:
I heard someone say how the FMR RNL was very good and better at certain results.
May well be worth considering or auditioning against the RNC.

Thanks, I'll definitely consider the RNLA.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own 2 dbx 166xl's and they do a good job at flattening out and boosting the drums I use them for. The do have a particular sound to them.
I read up about the difference between the 166xl and 166xs and there is a click with short attacks using the xl. I have heard it, so can confirm it's there, though I tend to use rather long attacks with mine as the are passing kick drum generators. Apparently the xs circuit remedied that issue but aside that, they are the same compressors. The source of my info is a forum I can't remember the name of, but the post I read's poster claims to be some massive dbx user for years and noticed the click and wrote to them regarding it. dbx then released the xs not long after. Dunno about how true the story his story is, but knowing the click is present in the xl's I wouldn't be surprised at the part regarding them being the same compressors aside the click.

I also have a Phonic PCL3200. It's about the same as the xl's, though not as coloured. It also has a frequency setting for the gate threshold. I use mine on my Volca Beats and my Rhythm Wolf (a channel each in dual mono mode). Lots of fun setting it to a high frequency so the gate follows the hats and truncates the other instruments.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Neon Horn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Smile
Steeplemouth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
I read up about the difference between the 166xl and 166xs and there is a click with short attacks using the xl. I have heard it, so can confirm it's there, though I tend to use rather long attacks with mine as the are passing kick drum generators. Apparently the xs circuit remedied that issue but aside that, they are the same compressors.

I just picked up a used dbx 166XL at the weekend for a good price. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I read up on it before I bought it and I came across one guy on GS who mentioned the click and also had a way to fix it, but it involves electronics and it may as well have been in a foreign language to me. I have read a lot about the 266XL having an issue with clicking that was apparently fixed in the 166XL, not sure if there is some confusion there or if these are two separate issues.

Are you using your 166XL with your electribe? How serious is the clicking issue? How short does the attack have to be to reproduce it?

Cheers,
Steeplemouth
InTheAM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned an FMR RNC twice. Basically does what it says on the tin, "really nice compression" and the Really Nice mode is pretty legit--never read anything about what drives it, but you can squash stuff pretty good w/o nasty artififacts.

EDIT: I missed that you've tried a RNC out.

At this point I'd probably try out the FMR RNLA if I were to go for a cheaper, hardware compressor again. I'd suggest considering something besides a compressor to "give things a little life". I get the glueing sounds together thing, but I feel like its the saturation in some compressors that makes the glue happen, rather than the actual compressing.

EDIT: I tend to also run my samplers through some kind of saturation before they hit my sampler. I use Uhe Satin and FabFilter Saturn if I'm feeding the ES2 stuff from my DAW. On iPad I use MasterRecord. Though thinking of investing in a Strymon Deco myself (or maybe a WarmAudio Tone Beast if I can some how justify it to the missus).

Maybe something like the Strymon Deco on that stereobus instead. Strymon pedals hold vaule really well. I've owned and sold two and only lost 20 or 40 dollars each selling them locally with no shipping.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeplemouth wrote:
megamarkd wrote:
I read up about the difference between the 166xl and 166xs and there is a click with short attacks using the xl. I have heard it, so can confirm it's there, though I tend to use rather long attacks with mine as the are passing kick drum generators. Apparently the xs circuit remedied that issue but aside that, they are the same compressors.

I just picked up a used dbx 166XL at the weekend for a good price. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but I read up on it before I bought it and I came across one guy on GS who mentioned the click and also had a way to fix it, but it involves electronics and it may as well have been in a foreign language to me. I have read a lot about the 266XL having an issue with clicking that was apparently fixed in the 166XL, not sure if there is some confusion there or if these are two separate issues.

Are you using your 166XL with your electribe? How serious is the clicking issue? How short does the attack have to be to reproduce it?

Cheers,
Steeplemouth

I don't actually own an Electribe, but compression is compression and so I chimed in. Since there are no markings on the 166xl's dials I can't really give a time, but it's not really noticeable with high gain at any rate. It can be heard upto around the 8 o'clock mark on the attack dial.
I only use them with percussion so to bring this around to on topic, unless you are squashing the life out of an ER using a virutally 0ms attack in a limiting type config, you won't notice it.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting InTheAM :
" I'd suggest considering something besides a compressor to "give things a little life". I get the glueing sounds together thing, but I feel like its the saturation in some compressors that makes the glue happen, rather than the actual compressing."

You've got me gassing for Analog Heat (again) ..or a Strymon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: