Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CURRENT Electribes, Volca Sample comparison FOR DATO DUO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theecaptain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: CURRENT Electribes, Volca Sample comparison FOR DATO DUO Reply with quote

I know this has probably been covered, but I'm new to the forums and can't find quite what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a sampler and/or sequencer, and in comparing the current Electribes (blue and red) and the Volca Sample, I'm unclear which is for me.

I will be pre-ordering a Dato DUO. Here: http://dato.mu/

They use a Volca Sample in the linked video, and I'm wondering if one of the Electribes can achieve the same thing, and/or better, with more options, et cetera....

Thanks so much!
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much info whatsoever in that link, so I followed another link to the kickstarter page, where there is more. Cute little box with a nice sounding little mono synth and 8 step sequencer. Can't find a manual or anything to describe what it actually does besides an FAQ page with three FAQ's. It has MIDI in and out via DIN ports, but what it actually responds to is not stated though it can send it's sequencer notes and gates out via MIDI (on what channel is not mentioned).

Now with regards to you question of Electribe2 connection, from what I can work out about it, it sends a Korg/TE compatible analogue clock to sync other instruments to. It also does MIDI out so you are covered for stuff pretending to be from the 70's and stuff from the 80's onwards with those to forms of synchronisation. As far as notes coming out of the DUO, it only does MIDI note with no CV pitch output of any form. Also from what I could discern from their FAQ, it only does the clock via the analogue sync out, so no triggering via analogue, only synchronisation. But that is all from trying to piece together how it works without a manual. Get one of them and thing will become much clearer.....
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
theecaptain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
Not much info whatsoever in that link, so I followed another link to the kickstarter page, where there is more. Cute little box with a nice sounding little mono synth and 8 step sequencer. Can't find a manual or anything to describe what it actually does besides an FAQ page with three FAQ's. It has MIDI in and out via DIN ports, but what it actually responds to is not stated though it can send it's sequencer notes and gates out via MIDI (on what channel is not mentioned).

Now with regards to you question of Electribe2 connection, from what I can work out about it, it sends a Korg/TE compatible analogue clock to sync other instruments to. It also does MIDI out so you are covered for stuff pretending to be from the 70's and stuff from the 80's onwards with those to forms of synchronisation. As far as notes coming out of the DUO, it only does MIDI note with no CV pitch output of any form. Also from what I could discern from their FAQ, it only does the clock via the analogue sync out, so no triggering via analogue, only synchronisation. But that is all from trying to piece together how it works without a manual. Get one of them and thing will become much clearer.....

check this video....it's short but a better eye than mine can figure out what the Volca Sample is doing.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgyAASXtZj8
DatoDavid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David from Dato replying here. I'll try my best to answer your questions.

I agree that our FAQ is a little sparse, but bear with us as we have only just started shipping Dato DUO's.

The DUO has sync in and outputs that work nicely with the Korg Volcas. It's tempo only – no CV or gate. You can however use the MIDI in and out for that. It sends clock, note data and CC's, and accepts both clock and notes. We haven't tried it with an Electribe 2, but it should work.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DatoDavid wrote:
David from Dato replying here. I'll try my best to answer your questions.

I agree that our FAQ is a little sparse, but bear with us as we have only just started shipping Dato DUO's.

The DUO has sync in and outputs that work nicely with the Korg Volcas. It's tempo only – no CV or gate. You can however use the MIDI in and out for that. It sends clock, note data and CC's, and accepts both clock and notes. We haven't tried it with an Electribe 2, but it should work.

Very cool! Thank you for the response, nice to hear the lowdown straight from the horse's mouth. It really does sound nice, btw, even through the internet.

I love that you are making a device that kids can have fun playing with while learning about synthesis as well as something seasoned synthesists can enjoy also. My nephew and niece may end up with one, just have to consult my brother first, heheh.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: