Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha Genos ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its not a game changer however it certainly beats in quality sounds.
Nice interface and such I'm almost thinking Yamaha wants to haul in the arranger crowds with this keyboard using an familiar fashion, guess I can hold my breath now Kronos still #1.

Sounds of the Genos can haul in studio and theater production me thinks.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Casio mzx 500 is probably the most advanced arranger where it comes to possibillities.. have a look at it.

I've started to look at it, yup. Very nice. Casio are stepping up their game in a big way.

I just hope that they do a stealth entry into really deep composer-friendly workstations as well, but for now I'm quite happy with my Casio as a performance keyboard. Don't regret the price nor the purchase.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
Nice interface and such I'm almost thinking Yamaha wants to haul in the arranger crowds with this keyboard using an familiar fashion, guess I can hold my breath now Kronos still #1.

Maybe. On the one hand, it does sound good - though in this day and age that's the price of entry, pretty much.

On the other hand, other than the fact that it's one single box that does one thing, why would I spend the money on that rather than, say, a Krome, an Integra-7 and an MPC-X? I'd still have enough cash left over to acquire cables, and the services of a lady of commercial virtue to reward myself for smart shopping.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Mr_SamDoogie wrote:

Maybe. On the one hand, it does sound good - though in this day and age that's the price of entry, pretty much.

On the other hand, other than the fact that it's one single box that does one thing, why would I spend the money on that rather than, say, a Krome, an Integra-7 and an MPC-X? I'd still have enough cash left over to acquire cables, and the services of a lady of commercial virtue to reward myself for smart shopping.

(My rambling)
The competition is mostly the crowd a musician , producer etc wants to win over even for an amateur same thing. How one does it is with the instrument and what one pulls out of it there is where the magic begins,

(What I wanted to say)
With a bit of help off course in the form of helpful addition in the keyboard arpeggio's, good sounding engines, recording capabilities anything where less is more like a workstation or 2 does. That what I've heard top musicians say they do in interviews.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial drip feed of teaser material was a distinct turn off; really not worth wasting any time on; after watching a minute or so of the first offering, it wasn't worth bothering with any further.

With the latest videos giving some proper meat to chew on, the Genos seems not to be a bad offering. Based on the evidence seen thus far, more of a fit to the arrangers market than the workstation sector.

Not reaching for the wallet, just yet.

wma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still roland did not announce a real successor of the g70 arranger workstation
loved the genos but not mush impressed and it's costs as the tyros very over rated/over priced , but loved the guitar sounds and effects yet not impressed with the acoustic pianos - a 100-200$ piano vst would sound better for cheap

hope korg do interest us with an announcement - high-end portable performane synth or a wokstation but with performace capabilities
FriskyMoose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just joined the forum as I like the discussion. I have been playing and gigging 17 years ago the last time with a Triton and i3 for years and they are still in my possession.

I wanted to get back into playing an arranger and had my eye on the PA4X for months now but wanted to see what Yamaha is releasing.

I totally agree the teaser videos did not bring anything to the table but the videos released yesterday finally gave us some idea on how the Genos sounds.

My take is that here in the U.K. the Genos is about £1500 more than the PA4X not even taking into account that a few good deals still to be had on the PA4X.

The sounds apart from the classic guitars sound all very thin to me, the grand piano sound the guy from Kraft was using was also very thin. Panning over to the 4X the piano is night and day. Maybe just a bad recording but after playing the Tyros in the shop once I had the same feeling. Even my old Triton sounded better to my ears.

The vocaliser is still the same old VH2 on the Genos, I believe the TV that Korg has in the 4X is superior to the Genos. Even the pa1000 has the advantage here.

The styling is great and display above the faders is a nice touch not relying on. The touch screen and wheel. The DSPs are nicely integrated too and the synth sounds are very good.

I am just finding it hard to justify the massive extra outlay over the 4X.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An even more overpriced new arranger keyboard waiting for the open wallets of "no matter what" buyers?

And another halfbaked concept, neither fish nor flesh, sitting in nowhere land between professional arranger users (not really finding much benefit beyond what they already have, and not seeing some main wishes fulfilled), a playing help for helpless hobbyists, desperately trying to sound like a band in their living room (and still drowning in the posibilities), and real workstation users (who will prefer a Kronos hands down, not wanting or needing loads of arranger functions or silly bells and whistles, but a flexible gigging keyboard, with a basic sound far beyond that Kitsch and Muzak atmosphere), and finally the film score writers (who will pass by after a short nod to the "Kino" strings and still keep using their software solutions).

Funny mixing-it-all-up effort at nearly 7000 bucks Laughing
Just as confused as the weird Montage concept.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post is a bit tough when it comes to performers who earn a living with a one man band gig Jim, but you are right in pointing out the confusion created by the marketing team.
It's a Tyros 6 arranger workstation after all, nothing revolutionary or game changing.
I don't know what the marketing dept of Yamaha tried to achieve, but it is best forgotten ASAP, a sheer waste of budget.

From what I hear in the demos the Genos has great onboard sounds, as could be expected from Yamaha, and for those who think the typical workstation is too complex or those who have no desire to create their own sounds, or those who need a professional arranger for their performances, this looks like a great option.

Only, when you begin to compare the possibilities and specs of for example the KRONOS with the Genos, then the differences are HUGE.
And if anyone does not like to create sounds, it is also possible to use the KRONOS as a preset machine.
All that for well over a 1000 Euros less...
Plus, there also is the lower priced PA4X.
But if money is no objection then I am sure those who blindly pre-ordered the Genos without even having browsed through the manual will not be disappointed.

I don't know any movie composer who would order a Genos to create a soundtrack, so I don't think that group fall into Yamaha's target customer base.

Personally I prefer the traditional workstation (or music production workstation as Yamaha would call it), and I'll save up my money.
pjd37

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRT Genos, there are some nice updates to the Tyros for sure: touch panel, new user interface, assignable knobs/sliders and enhanced audio signal chain (i.e., "the DAC").

Bottom line, though, if I presently had a T5, Montage, PA4x or Kronos, I wouldn't be motivated to update or switch. Until we see the manuals, we won't know if voice editing has been improved.

Korg have a good thing going with the current PA line, especially the PA4x.

As usual, more opinions on the blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-genesis/

Musikalische Grüße

-- pj
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjd37 wrote:
WRT Genos, there are some nice updates to the Tyros for sure: touch panel, new user interface, assignable knobs/sliders and enhanced audio signal chain (i.e., "the DAC").

Bottom line, though, if I presently had a T5, Montage, PA4x or Kronos, I wouldn't be motivated to update or switch. Until we see the manuals, we won't know if voice editing has been improved.

Korg have a good thing going with the current PA line, especially the PA4x.

As usual, more opinions on the blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-genesis/

Musikalische Grüße

-- pj

Could you shed some light about the arpeggio's I don't understand that part.

dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing Yamaha did right: as compared to the Tyros5-76, the Genos is 4.5 inches shorter and 6.5 lbs lighter...important to working (and older) keyboardists who will be buying or upgrading...

df
pjd37

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mr_SamDoogie"]
pjd37 wrote:

Could you shed some light about the arpeggio's I don't understand that part.

Hi --

We're still waiting for the manuals, but most folks expect the Genos to have an enhanced version of the PSR-S970 arpeggios. Here's a few thoughts.

The S970 arps trigger in the usual way by holding down keys. There is a HOLD function. The volume and gate time can be adjusted using the Live Control knobs. The arps synchronize with MIDI song playback (i.e., the MIDI clock).

The patterns are the usual sequences, strums and instrument-specific patterns (e.g., strings). The Genos adds control arpeggios which are an idea lifted from Motif. The control arps will play MIDI CC messages in order to do things like sweeps and such.

Other than this, I'd recommend taking a look at the S970 manuals until the Genos manuals are issued.

Hope this helps -- pj
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wma wrote:
still roland did not announce a real successor of the g70 arranger workstation
loved the genos but not mush impressed and it's costs as the tyros very over rated/over priced , but loved the guitar sounds and effects yet not impressed with the acoustic pianos - a 100-200$ piano vst would sound better for cheap

hope korg do interest us with an announcement - high-end portable performane synth or a wokstation but with performace capabilities

Korg left the high end expensive market..

No G70 replacement
No more Fantom
No V-piano follow up
And V-synth was their last real innovation in synth land..

They moved to cheaper parts of the market where alledgitly they can make much more money
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this new Genos I can see the well-heeled older demographic, who faithfully bought each successive Tyros iteration, splashing the considerable cash, and duly loading all their old registrations and carrying on as normal.

Yam knows their market, that's for sure. And if they can pull in some of the younger crowd with the dance heavy demos so far, then they're covering their bases. Time will tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: