Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha Genos ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giner wrote:
With this new Genos I can see the well-heeled older demographic, who faithfully bought each successive Tyros iteration, splashing the considerable cash, and duly loading all their old registrations and carrying on as normal.

Yam knows their market, that's for sure. And if they can pull in some of the younger crowd with the dance heavy demos so far, then they're covering their bases. Time will tell.

They made some demo’s to pull the young crowd
Also some demo’s to pull composers..

And then they forgot to add the features that would be needed to pull these groups

- no daw integration at all, which makes the genos a nice scratchboard for composers, but does not give them a modern way to take that scratch into their daw ...

- they fancy the Genos has arps.. untill you look into the feature and find it is no more then a toy with just 200 arps and no way to expand.. the feature is exactly the same as the one in the €400 psr keyboard... and way way more limited the the one in the €400 MX keyboard...

I think for that kind of money, one deserves to only get the best.. and not minimalistic watered down features from other keyboards...

I think yamaha could have blowed korg away, if they would have taken the montage and added styles and other arranger features to it.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Giner wrote:

Yam knows their market, that's for sure. And if they can pull in some of the younger crowd with the dance heavy demos so far, then they're covering their bases. Time will tell.

They made some demo’s to pull the young crowd
Also some demo’s to pull composers..

And then they forgot to add the features that would be needed to pull these groups

- no daw integration at all, which makes the genos a nice scratchboard for composers, but does not give them a modern way to take that scratch into their daw ...

I think for that kind of money, one deserves to only get the best.. and not minimalistic watered down features from other keyboards...

I think yamaha could have blowed korg away, if they would have taken the montage and added styles and other arranger features to it.

I write Songs. An arranger is a mismatch for my tunes and my multi track approach. Genos is no different. Unlikely I would use most of the various styles, fills, etc.

I don't get a composer song writer slapping to gather a demo on a Genos then finishing the work on another platform. Makes no sense. If I needed a multi track demo, I start and finish on the same platform.

And it makes less money sense to start a draft on a Genos piano or a Genos guitar. Seems like a pricey way to do that.

I can understand a home studio musician wanting to put together some quick song ideas or experiments on an arranger. That happens all the time. Thats much different than a finished product with average complexity.
I can see a home studio keyboardist getting inspired by a few things on the Genos. Or an arranger. Thats totally normal. But I don't see an arranger as a constant spur to ongoing creativity.

I am interested in a song writer(multi track) correcting me , informing me differently.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC, I kind of agree with you.

From the perspective of "I just need a virtual band to support this song while I bang it out." you might as well just use a microArranger. One tenth the price, or less, and it will slap out perfectly usable styles with recorded chord changes, no problem. It will also dump out MIDI so you can fool around with it in the DAW of your choice - no problem.

From the perspective of "I shall craft this into a thing of ineluctable beauty with my nonpareil high technology." a Kronos will do it for thousands less, or a laptop with just about any modern DAW.

The Genos seems to come into its own as the one-man-band performing solution, but from everything I can see, the PA4X is still better, and for less money (again).
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg you are missing the whole point. The arranger does not limit you from rolling your own so go speak . It actually frees you to play with musical ideas and chord progressions BEFORE you decide to roll your own .

Furthermore not every piece of work as a musician has to be a work of art or even to your tastes . They only have to be sometimes to the taste of the client/ clientele you are making music for . So if I am required to put together a backing track for a singer and they want a jazz or blues style track , I can rough one out in minutes , send it to them the same day and either get paid sooner or get their feed back about what they like or don’t like about the track and edit it accordingly . No longer am I a slave to spending hours laying down track by track to try and meet a deadline .
Think about radio jingles , sound tracks for promotional videos , corporate events .

At the end of the day an arranger is still just a keyboard but as a tool , it opens up income generating possibilities that are less amenable via the traditional workstation computer route .

Try one and see
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="worth"]//

Last edited by GregC on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was expecting more bravado but it went quiet quickly.
After the weeks long teasers this is it new keyboard here it is go get.

I'm expecting people getting things done when it comes to presentation,
This a slow build up of an expensive "workstation" not getting a more proper show.

Even the website has come up slowly no information nothing. The sounds are o.k but this keyboard doesn't speak for itself of what it can do.

No offense to Yamaha maybe I'm impatient but they baked bread the smell of it
got promising it's out of the oven but were the rest????.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
worth wrote:
Greg you are missing the whole point. The arranger does not limit you from rolling your own so go speak . It actually frees you to play with musical ideas and chord progressions BEFORE you decide to roll your own .

Furthermore not every piece of work as a musician has to be a work of art or even to your tastes . They only have to be sometimes to the taste of the client/ clientele you are making music for . So if I am required to put together a backing track for a singer and they want a jazz or blues style track , I can rough one out in minutes , send it to them the same day and either get paid sooner or get their feed back about what they like or don’t like about the track and edit it accordingly . No longer am I a slave to spending hours laying down track by track to try and meet a deadline .
Think about radio jingles , sound tracks for promotional videos , corporate events .

At the end of the day an arranger is still just a keyboard but as a tool , it opens up income generating possibilities that are less amenable via the traditional workstation computer route .

Try one and see

I am still looking forward to hearing from folks that actually would use a $5000 arranger for video demos, ad jingles, etc. I read the manufacturer assertions or target markets, etc. I much prefer to read or hear from the performer himself/herself.

IMO, I see limitations consistently relying on scenes, styles, etc.

Plus this isn't just about hustling $ for an ad track. I cringe when I hear a backing track for a low budget ad. Not great examples of musical skill/style. I don't have any problem if thats your gig. everyone needs to make a living somehow. And the demo stuff is all over YT, lots of copy cats.

I think a $5k-$6k keyboard seems excessive for a basic ad track or video demo. Demos can be done very reasonably these days. I don't have any problem if someone prefers to spend $5k. Its a preference.

In addition, there are creative song writers like myself, that
are not into multiple canned tracks. I find the styles to be not useful or they don't fit my creative drive.

There is more than 1 point. Things are not mutually exclusive.

D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Montage & korg PA4X as well as others seen below (Genos may or may not be a contender pending some demo time with it which is all personal preference)... So i feel to say most important of all is the positive effects of playing or creating Music with whatever type of keyboard we may have and that is what matters most of all... So who ever you are or wherever your background with music you maybe from and with out diminishing anybody... then the instruments we use are just the vehicles to get us to that destination and both Concepts discussed here together or on their own are great ways to do that ... Music is the language of the Universe ((((A@424hz)))) and the language of music can cross many barriers and that is what this world needs more than ever to save us from are self.......Great forum, I would be lost with out It with my korg...all the best to you all Smile
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/tag/genos/
wma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/7/1130977/genos_en_om_b0.pdf
pjd37

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi --

I had a chance to think a little more about the Genos specs. There is quite a big jump in the number of Mega Voices, Super Articulation voices, and Super Articulation 2 voices -- a bigger increase than we've seen with previous Tyros-to-Tyros upgrades.

This is enabled by the new tone generation hardware.

I think the end result will be highly detailed, expressive voices that are fun to play. It ain't no accident that Yamaha added a third articulation button in addition to the knobs and sliders.

I can't wait to play this thing!

More at: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-articulation-future/

All the best -- pj
Niki_Keyz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 13 years of supporting the PA series, I will be leaving Korg for Yamaha. I am very excited about jumping into the Genos. I know there are a few features that I will miss from Korg but I know that time with the genos will help and get better.

I just felt like Korg was lacking quality. From the pa80 down to the 4x, very little has changed as far as sounds, styles and quality over the years. I feel like they just take the last arranger give it a little facelift and call it a new arranger. That’s just my opinion.

But the operating system in Korg pa series is phenomenal. It cannot be touched. The full onboard editing of styles and sounds will be missed. But let’s be honest, lots of people that have had a Korg, switched and are switching over to yamaha.

Good luck to Korg in the near future. You had a great fan base and great supporters through all these years, but now it’s time to make the jump into something higher quality.
afr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundwise Genos seems interesting I don't want to say better than PA4X but sounds good

But .... When you talk about quality what are you referring to?

Just talking about materials, pa4x is full metal body and genos is plastic....what is better?

Niki_Keyz wrote:
After 13 years of supporting the PA series, I will be leaving Korg for Yamaha. I am very excited about jumping into the Genos. I know there are a few features that I will miss from Korg but I know that time with the genos will help and get better.

I just felt like Korg was lacking quality. From the pa80 down to the 4x, very little has changed as far as sounds, styles and quality over the years. I feel like they just take the last arranger give it a little facelift and call it a new arranger. That’s just my opinion.

But the operating system in Korg pa series is phenomenal. It cannot be touched. The full onboard editing of styles and sounds will be missed. But let’s be honest, lots of people that have had a Korg, switched and are switching over to yamaha.

Good luck to Korg in the near future. You had a great fan base and great supporters through all these years, but now it’s time to make the jump into something higher quality.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niki

Congratulations on your choice to go Genos.
It is always about personal needs tastes and what is important to you.

Not arguing at all or getting into A vs B etc.. but just a friendly suggestion:-

If you use Korg fingered 1, or
If you use tempo lock,
If you like selecting FILLS individually,
If you like full control with DNC (compared to SA)
If you like immediate access to bass inversion
...Genos does not have or support these in the same way.

Genos and Tyros are not conducive to live performance and recording due to poor accessibility within the OS and insufficient control surface

There are many other differences so please choose very carefully. Search back through these forums - there are many who have jumped to Tyros and jumped back.
It's an expensive change.. take care

I wish you all the best

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niki_Keyz wrote:

Maybe you're a bit tired of Korg at the moment, but stating that very little has changed since PA80 of course is not true at all.
In fact, a lot of people would state your argument about Tyros.
I sincerely hope you won't regret your switch. I switched to Yamaha a few years ago and was very, very disappointed about it.
Within a few months I switched back to Korg with a very big smile on my face.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Yam's keyboards are crap at all!
I think they make superb keyboards! But when you are used to a Korg, switching to Yamaha can be ... well... very disappointing.

About switching: I do think lots of people that have had a Korg, switched to Yamaha BUT ALSO VICE VERSA, just read the postings on several forums and you'll see what I mean.
For me, it did't work out well with Yam, I sincerely hope for you it will do, not being sarcastic at all!
All the best!

Play in style. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: