Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kronos.factory Librarian 0.1 - Beta Preview Version
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: kronos.factory Librarian 0.1 - Beta Preview Version Reply with quote

Hi

It seems like an eternity since I asked Sharp if I could be an approved merchant in preparation for working on kronos.factory. Embarassed

My life has been a bit hectic/complex this year (and the PCG file format is equally complex! Smile ), so I have not gotten as far as I wanted.

Anyhow, today I think I have finished all of the major file decoding and display tasks, so I am ready to move on to the writing the editing features.

Before doing that, I decided to release a preview version to allow people who are interested to take a look at see what they think, and provide feedback on any problems seen (the more files are opened the better!), or feature suggestions are welcome.

So, what does kronos.factory give you?
  • It runs on Java so (once you have a Java run time on your computer) is cross platform: OS X, Windows and LINUX at least
  • It is Multi Window - you can have several files open at a time
  • It is based mainly on a tree structure and a view of that (you can have a table view as well), which allows you to "look inside" the Kronos data (and eventually edit at that level)
  • It will show you what data is referenced elsewhere - e.g. what Programs are used in what Combis, etc.
  • The converse of that is that it will show you what Programs a Combi is using, etc.
  • If they are available, it will read KGE and KSC files and add them to the "data tree", so, for example, you can see the names of what samples are being used when you look at HD-1 oscillators

When I complete the editing features you will then get
  • Ability to drag and drop/cut and paste data at any level (e.g. filters, controllers, oscillators, etc.)
  • Move data in a file and any referenced data is updated
  • Copy data to a new file and any referenced data is copied
  • Full library function for storing all of your data in one place (with ability to regenerate the source files)
  • Multi-Level undo/redo
  • Etc.

kronos.factory is effectively in alpha preview, and you can download via the following links
Windows Installer
OS X Installer and any Java system
Linux Installer

Instructions on how to install are here http://xfactory-librarians.co.uk/installation.html, and if you do not already have Java on your system, then follow the guide here http://xfactory-librarians.co.uk/java.html

At present, the HELP files/manuals and icons are for ex.factory - but if you read the ex.factory manual or help then you will get the gist of it.

My aim is to get a first release by Christmas, so the clock is ticking! Shocked

Anyhow, please feel free to take a look, and provide any feedback here or over on the kronos.factory Trello Board

Oh, a small note on file read/write testing. Whilst the preview version is demo only (File Save disabled) so it will not do anything to your valuable data, do please ensure you have a backup of your data before running ANY new software. I do treat this subject area very seriously, and have automated tests that run to check file reading/and writing of all of my Kronos data files to ensure that data is correctly read/copied/written. That gives me the confidence to use to on my own data Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website

Last edited by Derek Cook on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Derek
Can't wait to check this out

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
media-igor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: kronos.factory Librarian - Preview Version Reply with quote

It will be interesting! Another one of the programs that will make it easier to work with Kronos!
At this point, the program only allows you to view the contents of the PCG file? Is the program planned to work with SNG content?
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: kronos.factory Librarian - Preview Version Reply with quote

media-igor wrote:
It will be interesting! Another one of the programs that will make it easier to work with Kronos!
At this point, the program only allows you to view the contents of the PCG file? Is the program planned to work with SNG content?

Hi. Thanks for the interest. Once I have the PCG functionality complete, I will be happy to look at the SNG file as well, if the interest is there.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
media-igor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: kronos.factory Librarian - Preview Version Reply with quote

Yes, I have an interest in SNG files, because I only work with them. Sequencer mode has more features than Combi mode, I do not know why all Combi prefer. Probably because it's easier. Although - it's almost the same as Kombi, but + audio tracks.

Now I tried to load into your program Kronos_Preload_VB (this file with virtual banks). The file is downloaded and opens the contents of banks (including virtual ones!). Kronos_Preload_VB contains 84 program banks, including additional virtual banks (KRONOS itself has 20 program banks + GM banks).
In this file it is convenient to store large collections of programs that do not fit into Kronos. If you make a good search system, it will be very convenient to use Kronos_Preload_VB.
bobmusic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: kronos.factory Librarian - Preview Version Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
...Anyhow, please feel free to take a look, and provide any feedback here or over on the kronos.factory Trello Board

Very nice, I like your tool! It has a nice view into the Combinations, down to the contained Timbres.
Will the final, or a future version, also offer columns-view?

I am quoting from "Typical features within the librarians include" on your website:
"In the tree view, you can copy components of an object to another, for example the reverb settings of a voice to another voice."
That would be awesome to have for the Kronos!

Of course, as a mac user, I like the fact that no windows-emulator is needed.

I would like to use the feature of copying combinations from one pcg to another, were only these programs were copied, that are not present in the destination pcg. The programs that are already present in the destination pcg are mapped automatically. A dream!

I think PCG tools can do this.
But unfortunately it didn't get it to function properly on windows-emulator (Oracle) on macOS Sierra, yet.
Anyone else is using PCG Tools in windows-emulator?
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
SteinerJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek,

nice work so far! One thing: the application doesn't scale properly on high resolution displays. It looks fine on my 1920 x 1080 desktop, but is much too small to be readable on my 3200 x 1800 laptop
media-igor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteinerJ wrote:
Hi Derek,

nice work so far! One thing: the application doesn't scale properly on high resolution displays. It looks fine on my 1920 x 1080 desktop, but is much too small to be readable on my 3200 x 1800 laptop

I agree. I also use large monitors (resolution 3440 * 1440), the font turns out very small
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, for the kind comments guys.

Will need to look into the font issue. I am not setting anything mind, but letting Java do the work, so I might need to experiment. Also is there anything in the Java control panel on your computers that allows font size control?

Re the question about combi columns, I was thinking of maybe doing that in the Table View. Will need to look into it.

My Echoes Music Website
bobmusic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
...Also is there anything in the Java control panel on your computers that allows font size control?

No settings for font size found in Java control panel on Mac.
Trinity Pro with MOSS-Board, PBS FlashRom, HDR, Optical DI
Korg Collection 3
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobmusic wrote:
Derek Cook wrote:
...Also is there anything in the Java control panel on your computers that allows font size control?

No settings for font size found in Java control panel on Mac.

Thanks, will need to look into it more. A quick google search shows that it is a general Java issue. Java 9 (out soon) may solve it, or I may need to query the screen resolution and do some font scaling, but hopefully I can do that in a general manner. Happy to look into it

Maybe I need to buy myself a retina MAC to test (i do my development on a 5 year old Mac and it is starting to struggle....) Very Happy

My Echoes Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all

It's been a long time since I posted the last preview version, due to extreme work pressures Sad , but there is now a new preview version that is (hopefully) fully decoding all items in a PCG file (and associated KSC and KGE) to the point where I understand all of the object references, which is required when inserting/deleting/copying and moving data to ensure that links are preserved, or warnings can be issued when deleting data that is referenced.

So this is a snapshot before I get into the editing features. I have a fair bit of time off over Christmas, so I hope to make some serious progress on it (along with making some music of course)!

kronos.factory is effectively still in alpha preview, and you can download via the following links
Windows Installer
Linux Installer

Known issues
  • The screen resolution issue identified above if working on a device with a hi definition monitor (I will sort as part of a general release)
  • The software (and all my librarians) is NOT compatible with Java 9, which introduces a major change to Java which breaks several libraries that I am using. I will fix that as part of releasing kronos.factory. In the meantime, Java 7 and Java 8 are fine.
  • Now that I have introduced reference checks, then there is a performance hit when opening some tree branches. It is OK for most items on a reasonably fast computer, but there is a huge delay when opening KSC drum sample branches due to the number of items to check to see if they are referencing any sample on display. I need to look into how I can optimise for this
  • As per first alpha version, help documentation and icons are still for ex.factory.

Other than that it is looking pretty good, and ready to start on the editing features. Smile

My Echoes Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all

A little later than intended, but there is now a new snapshot 0.0.02 available, which has the following working before I move onto drag and drop copy/move (inc clipboard cut and paste)

• Insert of Items (e.g. Program Banks, Program Bank, Program)
  • Delete of Items
  • Renumbering of Banks (assuming there are "unused banks")
  • Addition of Banks (assuming there are "unused banks")
  • Sorting of Items by Name/Category
  • Editing of Name/Category (including table entry in the Table View)
  • Initialise Items
  • Listing of references (e.g. what Combis use Programs) is improved
  • You can change Program banks between HD-1 and EXi types
  • kronos.factory Help and documentation is now first cut draft for the Kronos

Whilst it is still to be fully tested, all of the above operations will preserve object references. E.g. if you change the number of a Program Bank, then the Combis and Setlists are updated

kronos.factory is effectively in alpha preview, and you can download via the following links
Windows Installer
Linux Installer

Instructions on how to install are here http://xfactory-librarians.co.uk/installation.html, and if you do not already have Java on your system, then follow the guide here http://xfactory-librarians.co.uk/java.html

Known issues
  • The screen resolution issue identified above if working on a device with a hi definition monitor (I will sort as part of a general release)
  • The software (and all my librarians) is NOT compatible with Java 9, which introduces a major change to Java which breaks several libraries that I am using. I will fix that as part of releasing kronos.factory 1.0. In the meantime, Java 7 and Java 8 are fine.
  • Now that I have introduced reference checks, then there is a performance hit when opening some tree branches. It is OK for most items on a reasonably fast computer, but there is a huge delay when opening KSC drum sample branches due to the number of items to check to see if they are referencing any sample on display. I need to look into how I can optimise for this

===

My future roadmap is as follows. Hopefully 1.0 will be out by end of Jan with the current progress I am making. Smile

• 0.1 Drag and Drop (and cut, copy and paste) on items down to "Level 3" E.g. a Program or a Combi inside a file
  • 0.2 Drag and Drop (and cut, copy and paste) down to Level 3 between file
  • 0.3 Drag and Drop of all other sub items (e.g. effects inside a Program) working
  • 0.4 - 0.9 bug fixing. Completion of documentation
  • 1.0 First release
  • 1.1 Writing of KSC and KGE files (they are currently read only to "peek" at the data in them)
  • 1.2 Song file support
  • 2.0 Library Support
  • 3.0 MIDI Support (if the demand/interest is there)

Feedback and comments are welcome.

My Echoes Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am pleased to announce (a little later than intended) that kronos.factory is now in Beta Preview, and you can download Version 0.1 via the following links
Windows Installer
Linux Installer

This is a major pre-release milestone in that drag and drop editing is now working within a PCG file down to individual voice/combi/wave sequence/etc. level (deeper editing of objects will come in V0.3). Next job is drag and drop between files including copying all referenced objects which will be released in V0.2.

Getting this release out has taken longer than intended due to the Kronos's flexible bank structure compared to other synths I have written editors for which have fixed banks (e.g. a Yamaha EX5 always has one Performance bank and two Voice banks), as there are a lot of complexities to deal with.

A lot of effort has also gone into features that I hope will be useful, such as
  • Ability to renumber banks (e.g.change Program Bank U-AA to U-BB - assuming there is no U-BB in the file!)
  • Ability to re-order banks via drag and drop
  • Ability to move data between banks

And whilst you do this, all object references are maintained! Smile

One small concern of mine is performance of operations can be a little slow at times, a draw back of the Kronos supporting so many data banks that need searching when you are updating references. I may need to look at optimisation in a later release.

Feedback welcome! Very Happy

My Echoes Music Website
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your work! Would love to give this a spin. Just wondering what version Mac OS is compatible? What’s the minimum OS that it will work with?

New Sound Libraries For Korg Synths
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: