Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to use any engines as AL-1 Audio Input

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: How to use any engines as AL-1 Audio Input Reply with quote

Hello, here is a little tip to use any engine or even a complete program and even more several programs as AL-1 engine Audio source.
As you know, several sound sources can be used in AL-1 engines : Osc 1, Osc 2, Noise, Sub Osc, Audio Input, Ring Mod. (a choice has to be done between Sub Osc and Audio Input). On the Mixer Tab we can adjust them all.

Open any EXi Program you want, or an Initialized one and set engine to AL-1. Throughout this test, I set all sources volume to 0, except the Sub Osc / Audio In one, set to 99. "Mode" was set to "EXternal Audio Input" and "External Audio" to "Audio Input 1". That way, the only sound source in this Program was the back Audio analog input 1 (of course wze must set the entry level accurately in order to avoid any clip)

Open a Initialized Combi and placed this previous Program into channel 1 for example. Of course, for now, as sound source is only Analog Audio In, we don't hear anything.

Choose any Program you want and place it on Chanel 2 of the Combi. Of course you can even choose a HD-1 Program.

Make sure the both timbre are placed on the same Midi Channel.

On IFX/Routing 1 tab, set the Timbre 2 "Bus Select" to "1" (Individual Output 1). Thus, the audio signal of this Program won't be directly heard anymore, you can still adjust the output level with the corresponding fader.

The last thing to be done is to plug in a jack cable patch on the back of the Kronos, between Output 1 and Audio In 1 (as I said, adjust its level).
There, you should hear that timbre through the first AL-1 Program.
Then, it's up to you to get into "Edit Program" on Page Menu in order to do any settings you want as you would do with any Osc of the AL-1 engine.

We could even imagine a second or a third Program routed to the same Individual Output 1 and so, routed to a single AL-1 input. And so, doing a relative mixing with the main Combi faders. You see what I mean !!
Furthermore, why not imagine using a second AL-1 program, using the Individual Output 2, plugged into the Analog Audio Input 2. All in the same Combi !!

The possibilities of the Kronos are quite infinite !

I tried to be as clear as possible but do not hesitate to ask for more explanation.
Hope you'll enjoy that tip....
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought your title heading was a question. I was reading it as, "How to use any engines as AL-1 Audio Input??" I was about to post what you just wrote, above! In fact, I was going to make a video for you, but you clearly understand. I still might, as it would help others.

Yes, the Kronos is very modular. The OASYS even more so, as you have 8 individual outputs, plus 4 inputs (not including digital). Add some external FX processors it all starts looking like analogue patch cables.

Also, the Ring Modulator's CARRIER can be set to "EXT. Input," regardless of what mode the Sub-Oscillator is set to.

It's easier to patch into MOD-7 and MS-20, without physical cables. I showed a little of that in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtYByUzKqxo
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
I thought your title heading was a question. I was reading it as, "How to use any engines as AL-1 Audio Input??" I was about to post what you just wrote, above! In fact, I was going to make a video for you, but you clearly understand. I still might, as it would help others.

Yes, the Kronos is very modular. The OASYS even more so, as you have 8 individual outputs, plus 4 inputs (not including digital). Add some external FX processors it all starts looking like analogue patch cables.

Also, the Ring Modulator's CARRIER can be set to "EXT. Input," regardless of what mode the Sub-Oscillator is set to.

Yes, there was not any "?" in the title Very Happy

Yes, it's esaier with MOD-7, MS-20 and STR-1 too. Moreover I've never understood why the AL-1 engine doesn't have the same audio input options as the three others. Is it an omission, is it a technical boundary ? I don't know. The fact is that we can get around this limitation.

Thank you too for the clarification about the Ring Modulatior.

Quote:
It's easier to patch into MOD-7 and MS-20, without physical cables. I showed a little of that in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtYByUzKqxo

Sorry, I didn't match your Youtube Channel with your messages in this forum. I like your tutos very much, all very pedagogic, thanks a lot for your work.

Here is a good tuto from Coyote14. It is in French but there are many graphs and picture so I suppose it could be easily understandable by non francophone people : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70_74JN-b6M&t=461s

Last edited by Liviou2004 on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:00 am; edited 4 times in total
Rigel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot use external audio signals in MOD7. The reference manual lacks this info, it simply states that "you can use external audio to modulate another operator.." etc. The Audio in source on patchbay page of MOD7 does not seem to have any effect on eitherthe mixers or other operators. I asked opinions for this on many forums, but nobody cared, or nobody knew more..
Any ideas?
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
I cannot use external audio signals in MOD7. The reference manual lacks this info, it simply states that "you can use external audio to modulate another operator.." etc. The Audio in source on patchbay page of MOD7 does not seem to have any effect on eitherthe mixers or other operators. I asked opinions for this on many forums, but nobody cared, or nobody knew more..
Any ideas?

Hello,

As far as I know, the MOD-7 Audio Input is an Exi Audio Input, not an external one. See diagram page 346 Paramters Guide, Audio Input section.
Quote:

The Audio in source on patchbay page of MOD7 does not seem to have any effect

What "effect" are you speaking about ? The Audio Input is only a sound source, as PCM Osc, Noise Generator, VPM and so on. You can patch it as you want : directly ouput, on a filter input or in a VPM input as Waveshaper or Modulator.
Then you add effects (IFX, MFX, TFX) as you would do with any EXi.

Perhaps I didn't understand your issue.
Rigel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Liviou. I must have missed the point that audio-in is actually the intrinsic sound from another EXi inside the Kronos, not external audio input signal from the back of the Kronos. This is my ignorance, damn ! That solves all my understanding problems on this. I love you Smile

I am looking forward to arriving home from work and experimenting with modulation of FM operators from another EXi sound sources. Maybe external audio processed by AL-1, as you've described above, can be routed so that it -then- can be used as a modulator, what do you say?
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Maybe external audio processed by AL-1, as you've described above, can be routed so that it -then- can be used as a modulator, what do you say?

Well, I guess it should work, interisting to try.
Rigel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the solution for the audio input into MOD7 (or any other EXi):

In program mode select Common>Basic/Vector>EXi Audio Input>Input Source:Audio Input 1/2

This parameter is available in all EXi's. Now I can modulate a VPM Osc with my own voice, and apply filtering, envelope it, or use any of the effects on it in any combination I'd like.

Now I have to see what I can produce using these..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: