Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's get this baby moving!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Let's get this baby moving! Reply with quote

I'll be the first to admit that I'm really not using my KK as much as I should.
Even though every time I play it I'm thoroughly blown away. The sounds are off the scale great! The sheer depth and harmonic content are seriously mind blowing.
Back in the summer I had my KK set up as a back up keyboard just in case my Kronos failed. We have a song that starts with the whole band and the keyboard places a low D plus the D up; just a basic octave in the left hand.
For some reason I just decided to do this part on the KK as opposed to my Kronos which I had always used in rehearsal.
The sound was way better! The concrete stage shook! My lead guitar player just grinned, looked back, smiled and nodded.

So what I'd like to get to here is to get all of us KK users to try and help each other to maybe get some idea and sounds that help make this truly amazing little synth some respect.
My goal right now is to get a seriously good version of Derek Sherinian"s Monster lead sound. I don't see anything or any reason as to why it can't be done complete with all of the growl and scream that his sound has.
If anybody can help me with this, that would be awesome!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Averagebear6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jeremykeys,

I appreciate your post. This is an amazing machine, and it's a drag that it's not a hot topic with users like a Roland System 8, for example.

Anyways, I am interested in encouraging other KK users and myself to enjoy this killer synth.

I am a big fan of Derek Sherinian and DT, BCC and I'm checking out Sons Of Apollo and his solo work.

What do you think of the free samples for the KK that Korg released?

Peace
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a big fan of those bands. In fact, In about 3 1/2 hours I get to see Dream Theater live!

I'm not familiar with the free samples though. Lately I've just been fooling around and coming up with my own sounds. I'd love to be abole top come up with a ripping lead sound but so far I haven't but I also haven't tried to much. I just wish I could have the pitch bender do a full octave down and just a whole tone up the way I can on my Kronos.
The KingKorg is still an amazing synth. I think people really underestimate just how powerful it really is.
I'm using it a lot more in my original songs now.

Have fun!

Jermykeys
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Averagebear6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Dream Theater is phenomenal. I have every cd and dvd. Have a great time!,
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! We will!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hate to say it but the show sucked huge! We left after the first set. The sound was great and the band played great but WTF is up with everybody standing up for the whole show? My wife is just 5 feet tall so she never ever saw Jordan or John Myung once. I barely did. I say jrodan when he came out front for a solo.
We decided to stand at the back so we had the wall to lean on but as soon as the band came on for the second set, everybody stood up again. We said screw this and left. No point in staying if all you can see is the back of the person in front of you.

Really very angry right now.

Why bother paying for a seat if you're never going to use it?
Averagebear6

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey jeremykeys,

Sorry to hear that. I fully agree, standing the whole show is a huge drag. I saw Duran Duran (my wife loves them). I got bumped in the head a couple of times because I was sitting. Not cool, and not a good situation to put myself in and test my tolerance and self-control!!

I'm sure they will have a dvd of the tour, but what a drag to spend the cash...
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. $80 a ticket. I bought a beer for $12 and a water for my wife for $3. The only truly good part was parking was only $6.
The couple that we we with had 2 seats closer to the stage but they had the same problem, plus they had to guys beside them who had hygiene issues. They stank like really bad body odor. What's up with that anyway?

At least we didn't have that, but when I go to a show, I want to WATCH the band as well as hear them.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's what just happened. I was watching some vids on YouTube and ran across the Waldorf Quantum. I watched a bit more and then thought that sure it looks and sounds cool but can I get sounds out of my KK that are equally rich? I think so but I'm sure others will disagree.
So I took one of the synth sounds, "Synth Ranger" and messed around a bit with it and as far as I can tell it's a freaking huge sound now.
I guess what I'm doing is trying to justify why I bought the King Korg in the first place. I know it's an amazing little machine but even I keep forgetting to play around with it but every time I do I'm never ever disappointed.

We don't need no steenking Waldorf!
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeremy,

I won't comment on the new Waldorf, but I will agree with you that the KK is capable of MASSIVE sounds. I'll never forget the first day I took mine to rehearsal: As soon as I started using it the rest of the band just stared at me, slack jawed. "What is that little gold keyboard you've got? It sounds incredible!" Late last year we did a sound check and the engineer came running down from his console to check it out. He'd never heard one before and it's fair to say he was drooling!

Generally I find it doesn't get a lot of love - possibly to do with its strange name, ugly looks, unamazing keybed, plasticky feel and slightly challenging interface.

BUT - I'm yet to find a VA that can come close to it for the sounds it can produce, and if you set it up correctly, it's a very easy to use live performance weapon.

So mate - no justification needed for your purchase. And remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Cheers!
noguud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail the king! 😆

The quantum looks like a beast.

Still digging the king though.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, Cowboy. When I played the large outdoor festival last summer, I brough my KK as a backup just in case my Kronos went for a poop. Our first song has a big low D octave synth thing and since I'm a "fly by the seat of my pants at a live show" kind of guy, I decided to do the bass part on my KK. It was freaking amazing! The stage shook! It was of earthquake magnitudes! The rest of the band all looked around at me grinning but also asking WTF?
Yup, The King Korg can do HUGE!

Friends in the audience had to wonder how a band know for it's soft rock hits can come across like a prog band with serious bass pedals.
Averagebear6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Enya & Tangerine Dream Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has ideas or patches for Enya and Tangerine Dream patches?
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made some patches that started out with the factory pre-sets and then tweaked them by, say for example using the LFO to have a filter sweep, using a long tape delay and adding maybe a flanger or phaser.
You can really get some nice spacey swooshie sounds that way.

I'm still fooling around with trying to get the clock in my Cubase DAW to run the arpegiator in my King Korg but I haven't tried very hard so still no luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: