Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to control portamento rate with controllers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: How to control portamento rate with controllers? Reply with quote

I've done this before, but for some reason, I just cannot get my head around how to set up a knob or slider to control portamento rate in real time. Can it be done in Set List mode as well?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to control portamento rate with controllers? Reply with quote

musicbysterling wrote:
I've done this before, but for some reason, I just cannot get my head around how to set up a knob or slider to control portamento rate in real time. Can it be done in Set List mode as well?

Portamento Rate is CC#05, if I recall correctly.

Moonglow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My band does "Magic Man" by Heart, and I programmed the data slider so I can control the portamento rate in real time to do the "dive bomb" ending for that Moog lead in the middle of the song. It resides in a Combi which I access while in Set List mode. Sorry but I don't remember exactly how I did it...I do recall having to screw around with it for a while.
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Did you assign the data slider in the Combi or in Set List?
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go to the Program I want to use for portamento control, I open up the Control and go into the menu under the Knob #8. As I go through the pages of controller destinations, I do not see Portamento as a destination. Am I looking in the correct place?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to look into controls for a place to assign portamento function, the more comprehensive selection will be under "tone adjust". You will find every option to cover every control(switches, sliders and knobs).

The other thing may depend on the synth engine you are in, where you may find the edit cell for Portamento or Portamento-time and then you may see AMS setting option for it. If you see that, then tap the AMS edit cell next to you synth engine portamento setting section. You should see the list of AMS options and any of those can control your portamento.

Tone adjust page -or go directly to Portamento in your synth engine and look for AMS to assign.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicbysterling wrote:
When I go to the Program I want to use for portamento control, I open up the Control and go into the menu under the Knob #8. As I go through the pages of controller destinations, I do not see Portamento as a destination. Am I looking in the correct place?

I told you already. Just assign CC#05 and it should work. Not every MIDI controller has a convenient name.

Moonglow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicbysterling wrote:
Thank you.
Did you assign the data slider in the Combi or in Set List?

I just recalled that I answered a question about how I created this Program (used within in a Combi) a while back, after I posted a question here about a problem I was having with this Combi when I was in Set List mode. It turned out to be something stupid I was overlooking in Set List mode. I hope this at least gets you going in the right direction!

Moonglow wrote:
timg11 wrote:
Moonglow, could you explain how you programmed the Combi so the Value slider controls portamento time?

I finally was able to investigate this. The program I'm using is called "Pure Square Lead." In Exi1, under the "Pitch Common" tab, the Portamento settings are as follows:

Enable
Time 053
Mode Constant Rate
AMS Value Slider cc #18
Intensity +27

I'm using this program within the context of a Combi because I have the same program split to a lower register so I can play the harmony for the Magic Man lead. I did not discover any settings in Combi mode that relate to portamento time/Value slider. Seems everything is done at the Program level, but I may have missed something.

I discovered that the Value slider can control portamento time while in Setlist mode, which is in stark contrast to what I reported in my OP. I followed Dan's suggestion (Help + Value slider) and found that the Value slider can be used as a modulation source, but only when the following are true:

-You're on the Program mode PO-Main Page and the big Program name is selected,or

- You're on the Combination mode PO-Prog Select/Mixer page and the big Combination name is selected, or

-You're on the Setlist PO-Play Page

It seems I was in Setlist mode, but on the Edit page. So at the gig I went for the Value slider to increase the portamento time for the dive-bomb and nothing happened. Embarassed I will never make that mistake again.....

Thanks to all who responded!
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Moonglow, for your kind assistance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: