Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using loop tracks in overdub mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thepoliskey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Using loop tracks in overdub mode Reply with quote

Hi,

In a sequencer mode I've recorded short midi performance and made it loop. Now I want re-record this the way it will be playing looped and I can just change filter cutoff. So now I changed recording to overdub. But it plays the loopjust once. What am I doing wrong?
Please advise, I'm newbie.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loop just doesn't have any more data than what you originally recorded into it. So when you try to overdub by using what you originally recorded into it, it only has the original looped measure or measures to record from. The loop cycle plays the set measures/length and then resets back to the play again at start point, not allowing overdub to go any farther either. Loop locks the start and end points to the limits of the looped musical data intended. You can changed loop start and end but you will have to add musical data to the expanded start-end range. You want to repeat your musical data into further measures rather than loop the same measure in a track that ends up locked to the length of the original loop. Parameter guide page 528 covers Midi track Loop. It is rather short which means Loop is limited with no details on recording in the way you want.

Easier and quicker way is "repeat measure". Just a few setting inputs and you can have a full length track of your loop repeated in full midi data across every measure you want.
"Parameter guide" pages 647-650.
You want to go to "Track Edit " tab page and from there to the drop down menu at top right of the screen. Page menu commands drop down to include "Repeat Measure".
You set which track to edit, then set the measures to repeat and then set number of times to repeat them. So "repeat" is just like looping the measures except with the benefit of actually writing all the repetitions as midi or musical data into a continuum of measures rather than a start, end and restart cycle that Loop configuration uses.
Be sure song length is set to maximum track length you will need.
Once your "repeat measure" setup is done, you can disable track loop or adjust track loop to an expanded start and end range to match you repeated measures added.
Look into "Copy measure" and "move measure" as well, but first of all save all your song data to disk mode file in case your exploration leads to mistakes or loss of data.

"Parameter guide" can be found as pdf file at korg.com and it is the most detailed guide for kronos. Pages 647-650 and of course read and experiment beyond those pages. Just get in the habit of saving every stage of work progress to disk mode file, in case you mess up or lose data in a new stage of experimenting or trying feature out.
Thepoliskey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for this very informative reply. And sorry for my late reaction to it, I have been away for a while.

May I have one more question in this topic, as I dont understand it:

I set a new song and make some changes to realtime controler. When satisfied with the sound result i want to record it now, with this changes applied. But when playback this new track all controlers are in default state. What the problem is?

thanks in advance
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thepoliskey wrote:
thank you for this very informative reply. And sorry for my late reaction to it, I have been away for a while.

May I have one more question in this topic, as I dont understand it:

I set a new song and make some changes to realtime controler. When satisfied with the sound result i want to record it now, with this changes applied. But when playback this new track all controlers are in default state. What the problem is?

thanks in advance

I never had experience with this in sequencer before but from my experience in Combi where everything is identical to what you have in Sequencer, the system is set to return to default any control change that has not been saved.
So if you make track changes, Knobs, VJS, SW, Karma, drum tracks and Tone adjust or whatever else, and you didn't save the program level changes in "write program", or save the combi level changes in "write combi" function, everything will always go back to default. That is at program and combi level. Sequencer track could be different. ?

There are differences in sequencer mode such as where you would "write combi", there is not the same for song setups unless you copy from Combi or copy from program.

If your realtime controller changes were at the program level even for tone adjust page per each program in track, you may still need to save those changes at the program level. Save each program in the new state before you record. But with midi recording, i am not sure if it really needs to be saved to be captured by sequencer.
I know midi tracks do not record the programs or their sound. It records midi data which then cues the programs as they are stored in program mode bit also sends midi signals that fill in the program settings regardless of how they are set by default. I am not so sure what your issue is.

If the realtime control changes you made are at the track level, such as track volume, Track EQ, Track parameters and such, they should all record.

Details of what controls are going back to default will help make better sense
of what is going on.
Is the playback itself missing the sound adjustments or just the position of the controllers are moved to default?
I don't have much expereince with how sequencer differs from Combi.
I work in Combi and then copy to Song when ready to record, or i work in RPPR. I have never had issues like you described -unless i am not understanding exactly what you described.
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that you haven't set the real time controllers to the same MIDI channel that you are recording on. You can tell whether or not your intended control changes (and/or sysex) have been correctly recorded on the right track by going into Event Edit, and seeing what is there.
Remember also that you can use the edit/compare function to undo your last pass at recording if you are unhappy with what you have done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: