Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the best thing your kronos does?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but to be absolutely fair....doesn't Roland or even Yamaha offer these features?

Sequencing a great idea can be done anywhere!!

So i ask again ....why Korg ? or to be more specific why Kronos>?

hint.... I'm still searching for why? ( and to be honest, I am a Korg nut....check out my gear !!!)[/i]
Korg Kronos 61, M3-73, Karma (all-time classic), X5, Wavestate, Roland Juno Gi, JV, D110, Arturia Microfreak, Modal Skulpt, IK Uno. Nanopad2, M-Audio Venom, Deepmind 12D, Crave, TB3, Maschine Mk3, Moog Werkstat and a few other bits
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a major difference, (and this applies only to the Kronos 73 vs the Montage 76) it's the keybed.

I've played for over 40 years, from Farfisas to B3s, from Mini-Moog Ds and ARP Oddessys to Yamaha and Young-Chang acoustics, from Mellotrons to Fender Rhodes and Wurlitzers. Include plenty of junk electric pianos along the way that neither felt nor sounded like a piano. I currently own a couple of Roland arrangers that have terrible keybeds, as well as an old Alesis that has a nice Fatar keyboard (similar to the old Moogs) plus, I have a Kurzweil Mark 12 at home as well as a Young Chang acoustic. Both have great keybeds.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to decide between Kronos and Montage. Listened to every YT video I could find and read a lot on both. I finally got the opportunity to play a Montage. Stood up and walked out of the store after 30 seconds and bought the Kronos.

Love it!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drdave2002 wrote:
but to be absolutely fair....doesn't Roland or even Yamaha offer these features?

Sequencing a great idea can be done anywhere!!

So i ask again ....why Korg ? or to be more specific why Kronos>?

l!!!)[/i]

I think I understand your question about the SEQ- you are asking why ?

Its work flow. I am comfortable using the SEQ for my Songs. Kronos is absolutely necessary for my creative process and for getting it wrapped up.
I am happy with the end result.

I think Roland came close to having a great SEQ on the Fantom but fell short- but that was 8-9 yrs ago. Yamaha ? SEQ on a Motif ? It just did not click for me.
And the Montage ? Please. Not happening.

I know many are very comfortable with their DAWS- absolutely valid. So its a question of personal preference. Either direction is perfectly ok
holdsg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its user-friendliness.

I know, it still has a learning curve, but so much more accessible and easily tweak able than Yam and Kurz, IME and YMMV.
theshinenz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: What's the best thing your kronos does? Reply with quote

drdave2002 wrote:
Was just reading a Yamaha Montage moan about their flagship not having a set list feature and that got me thinking......There is far too much on the Kronos (original) that I still don't know about!!!!

I'm sure there is a ton of stuff that I've no clue about.

What's your favourite "thing" ?

But Montage DOES have a setlist feature? LOL
caneparelli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I went from Montage to Kronos for 15 days, Why?

Because Montage is a great synthesizer, but difficult to program.
If you are satisfied with preset sounds or Motif libraries, okay. As soon as you try to enter the thousand
edit parameters and set the Super Knob .... You lose!

I had the opportunity to play them simultaneously both attached to a headset listening mixer.

Montage has more Reverb and WIDE sounds, but nothing that can not be replicated with KRONOS.

The Kronos has:

1) - True sequencer 16 MIDI - 16 AUDIO
2) - the Split-Layer function that allows you to create step-by-step Combination with simplicity;
3) - version 61 (mine) with a good keybed (sensitivity set to 9 and aftertouch to 8)
4) - Immediate sound programming (8 "more comprehensible display)
5) - Sound sampling, in fact, the 5 sounds I use in the band from the Montage already sampled and sound the same)
6) - the Karma.

against Kronos libraries linked to an ID, and start times a little longer (1.30 minutes)

The Montage has beautiful sounds, but only 8 parts real-time executable on 16 parts available in Performance mode.

Montage has Arpeggiotore with 10000 models, but includes fill-in and few rhythmic variations, which are to be found.

The Montage SetList is just a simple non-tracking performance link for Song continuity, if you change sound during song, the base stops.

Kronos's setlist in Song mode allows you to change the sound with the song's continuation.
EXCELLENT.

So Kronos more complete than Montage !!!!
drdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I turn it on and it turns me on"

Simple really
Korg Kronos 61, M3-73, Karma (all-time classic), X5, Wavestate, Roland Juno Gi, JV, D110, Arturia Microfreak, Modal Skulpt, IK Uno. Nanopad2, M-Audio Venom, Deepmind 12D, Crave, TB3, Maschine Mk3, Moog Werkstat and a few other bits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: