Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Velocity Sensitivity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
renaud.denis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Velocity Sensitivity Reply with quote

Hi,

I have some thoughts to share about Keybed Velocity Sensitivity on the Korg Kronos.

I own a Korg Kronos 88, which is wonderful in many many ways, but I'm currently struggling to find out the perfect sound/feel to my ears and fingers, and it's related to the keybed velocity sensitivity.

I've read posts here and there about this topic (notably this one), and after some time spent on testing different curves, this is what I've found out.

The default velocity curve (4) is pretty much ok for all sounds, but for piano sounds, I like to be able to reach a softer sound, which makes the velocity curve 9 perfect to me.

On the other hand, for electric pianos like rhodes and wurlys, I find those curves slightly to hard, and I struggle to reach the crunchy effect I expect on this type of keyboards. For thoses engines, the velocity curve 5 is perfect to me.

However, changing the velocity curve between piano sounds (9) and other sounds (5) troughout the global settings is not comfortable, and it doesn't solve the problem of combinations, in which different types of engines can be mixed up, although I'm tied to one velocity curve response for all instruments.

Which leads me to thinking that all would be nice if I had the ability to calibrate the keybed sensitivity, just as well as I can calibrate the aftertouch response.

In my opinion, whatever the velocity curve you choose, you should be able to reach the minimum/maximum level (0-127) at your taste. The velocity curve settings being there just to adjust the output midi level according to the strength you apply on the keys in a non-linear way. In addition, we're talking about hardware, and I assume it can be different from one device to another depending on various external factors; or it changes over time (for instance because of natural wear and tear), or simply because one will like (or be able) to play harder than one other.

So, I'm making a suggestion, if at any rate some Korg people are reading this, that a future version of the Kronos firmware would allow us to simply calibrate the keybed sensitivity the same way we do it with aftertouch. Press a key at what you consider your lowest level, then press a key at what you consider your hardest level, and let the velocity curves do their jobs according to this.

If I would have this ability, I think I could select the velocity curve I like most (9), allowing to play ppp pianos, while being able to reach the crunchy effect I'm expecting from electric pianos.

Or even better, but harder I think: let us customize the global velocity curve at our taste.
pete.m

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice idea. I agree with you.
JoeyL

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed; To me this is the only drawback to the Kronos.

I suggest a velocity curve per program would be best for me.

The main problem I have is with EP's. I set my velocity curve at 9 for everything, and adjust every electric piano to taste using amp settings and ifx which works superb. But, this could definitely be enhanced by a per program velocity curve. If Korg would implement this feature I think kronos
EP's would far surpass even Nord EP's, which is quite a statement.

So I agree with you
renaud.denis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeyL wrote:

The main problem I have is with EP's. I set my velocity curve at 9 for everything, and adjust every electric piano to taste using amp settings and ifx which works superb. But, this could definitely be enhanced by a per program velocity curve. If Korg would implement this feature I think kronos

So I agree with you

I like this idea very much as well, though I hesitated to mention it since it's likely to be a costlier improvement for Korg. But that would also solve all the problems indeed.

And I also second your comment regarding the Nord EP's. In my opinion, the Kronos is often underrated in Kronos vs. XXX comparisons because I'm convinced it's compared to the default (harder) Kronos velocity curve for those instruments, plus Korg has a tendency to have slightly darker sound presets than other manufacturers such as Nord or Yamaha (which is a matter of taste of course and may be fixed using the Kronos's set lists' 9 band EQs)
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already discussed this some months ago with a Korg tech/rep and unfortunately they can not promise anything about this in a future update for now. The possibility of choosing a given velocity curve per program, including at least one custom or user defined one, would be ideal.

In the meantime, there is a solution I've found if you happen to use a PC nearby your Kronos. Using the MIDI-OX freeware, one can create custom velocity curves and even call them per program. Read the help file which comes with the freeware. It's rather easy, but of course takes some time to program. Ideally, such features should be added in the next Kronos update.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=718129#718129
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is top and bottom velocity setting per timbre and even in OSC, maybe not in every synth engine.
Am i assuming wrong that if you set global velocity curve to Max/9 and then adjust top and bottom velocity in timbres, you can have each timbre respond differently uniquely to velocity?
I'm not sure how a graph of velocity curve 1-9 aligns with the velocity top to bottom range 1-127.
Without knowing this, i cannot even be sure the two can compensate for each other per timbre.
I somehow doubt that velocity curve is that far off form from what top and bottom setting is for timbre velocity, and then add the slope settings to that. It gets even more detailed.

Below is what parameter guide says for Setting velocity per timbre, it allows to hold "enter" and hit the key at intended velocity and the system will set it to that.
~~~~~~~~~
“Top Velocity” and “Bottom Velocity” settings can also be input by holding down the ENTER switch and playing a note on the keyboard.
Timbres 02...16
These are the velocity zone settings for timbres 2 through 16. They are the same as for timbre 1. See “Timbre 01”.
~~~~~~~~~

I just read about global velocity curve also and it seems 1,2,3 make top velocity respond and then as you go up in number, the bottom side of velocity sets in incrementally towards the soft played feel. 4 being the mid point -mix of bottom and top response ,and 8 being the full range where soft touch and hardtouch produce the same response of volume and tone, equally.
It says 9 is a setting out of line with the 1 through 8 order. 9 matches the softest touch through the hardest touch with corresponding sound response.
Seems to me it should work well with Velocity settings in Timbre and some of the program OSC. HD-1 naturally does 8 velocity zones and that matches global velocity curve of 1-8 ,where 9 is a special addition for more realistic piano response.

Since some OSC have velocity settings, it makes me wonder at what level does global velocity curve actually affect a program? Does it affect the entire program via each OSC and does it get overidden when HD-1 velocity layers set up? Or maybe HD-1 velocity layers slot into global velocity curve?
If global is at 4 but HD-1 use 8 even velocity layers, do half the layers get ignored due to Global velocity range restictions? What if Global is at 9 and HD-1 is set to 4 velocity layers? Does each layer get two velocity range units?

How do all the program, timbre and global velocity settings cooperate or interfere with each other? I think the answer to that will lead the way to getting Per-timbre velocity curve flexibility.
I wish i had my kronos to experiment with. Soon.
JoeyL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renaud.denis wrote:
JoeyL wrote:

So I agree with you

I like this idea very much as well, though I hesitated to mention it since it's likely to be a costlier improvement for Korg. But that would also solve all the problems indeed.

And I also second your comment regarding the Nord EP's. In my opinion, the Kronos is often underrated in Kronos vs. XXX comparisons because I'm convinced it's compared to the default (harder) Kronos velocity curve for those instruments, plus Korg has a tendency to have slightly darker sound presets than other manufacturers such as Nord or Yamaha (which is a matter of taste of course and may be fixed using the Kronos's set lists' 9 band EQs)

That's the thing about this keyboard. It lets you do anything you want, so if it doesn't sound good it's completely your own fault.

I still love looking at peoples faces in the audience when I start, they look at me with mouths open, then I smile knowing I've only pressed one note.

Now that I've thought about this velocity thing a bit, I guess I would be satisfied with adjustable velocity on Electric Pianos only. Although, every program would be nice. 6 years with this keyboard and it still makes even my jaw drop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: