Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Purchased a Korg PA700
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Just Purchased a Korg PA700 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I just purchased a Korg PA700 yesterday and it should arrive tomorrow.

I am no stranger to arrangers, as I use them on a daily basis in my job. I've had the Korg PA500 before but ended up selling it. It did not not 'pop' for me.

I own (2) of the Roland E-09 Arrangers (12 years old now) and while they are great, they are getting pretty dated and I felt that it was time for a change: hence, the PA700.

Once I get it and such, I will provide a report on it.

I did a lot of research on arrangers to replace my E-09 units and the Korg just blew me away with all of its functionality and portability. There is a lot that this thing can do and I plan to use most of the features.

There is also a used PA588 for sale that I thought about picking up too, and still might, if I could just hear what the main piano sounds like. I have not found a video thus far showcasing the piano in depth. I know that it's from a C720, but I've not found those either.... I've always been intrigued by the PA588 too.

Grace,
Harry Ebbeson III
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Fransman
Platinum Member

Location: Netherlands (PA4X61+PAas. Past: PA3X, PA800, Y PSR-S910, PA500, T KN1000, Y PSR-16)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Purchased a Korg PA700 Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
I've always been intrigued by the PA588 too.

Grace,
Harry Ebbeson III

Congrats with your purchase!

You could also consider a Havian (instead of PA588).
If PA500 didn't 'pop' for you, PA588 probably won't either. The're prety much the same machines.
A bit outdated now.

Enjoy your PA700, I think you made a very good choice!

Play in style. Wink
adimatis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add one of these (or similar) to your Pa700 and you're set!

https://www.thomann.de/ro/thomann_sp_5600.htm

Please do report back.

Congrats!
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Korg PA700 Reply with quote

I have an update on the Korg PA700.

First, let me explain the different scenarios in which I intend to use the unit:

1. Nursing Home Minsitry - I play songs from the 1920's to the 1970's in instrumental format; mainly big band and stuff from the 30's and 40's though. I play waltzes, country and the like that the elderly residents of the homes enjoy.
2. Party Band - we just lost our drummer in a side project that I have, and I have been programming the songs into my Korg M50 and having it talk to the others that I would bring on stage. I am hoping that since the PA700 will read MIDI files, I can download different files, change instruments if needed, and use this instead of programming everything track by track, like I am now.
3. Studio work - I own a recording studio and I can see the Korg being a very valuable tool when writing music for others and myself (although most of my original stuff is written from scratch - track by track).

I have been playing with this PA700 for the better part of a day and all I can say is that I am impressed - very impressed. A good lady friend I am in a band with has a Havian 30 and I this unit is much more flexible than hers is.

The sounds are fantastic. as are the styles. There is a sound and energy that I never had on my PA500 and the energy exceeds that in the Roland E-09 (which I've been using for over 10 years).

I cannot really even compare the PA700 and the E-09 at all. The PA700 is better in every way. Even with all of the features of the PA700, it is easy to navigate around. Anyone with any kind of experience with a Korg arranger will get used to this one very quickly. I couldn't even really compare the two, to be honest. They are light years apart in technology and such.

I have not tried the vocal or guitar input yet, but have messed around with the Master EFX, as well as the final compressed/EQ feature and it really makes a difference. The sound is big; the unit sounds much bigger than it is. I've also not really messed around with the regular EFX or the Insert EFX yet, but suspect that they will be okay. They will not be as robust as the EFX sections in my M50 or even the Kross (as far as chaining 5 Insert EFX together), but I suspect that they will work just fine.

I have already created a number of styles and presets that I would use in a typical nursing home gig and I think that they are going to sound just fine on Monday when I play at two different places.

Due to the additional amplifier output on the Korg (25w X 2) verses the Roland E-09 (7.5w X 2), I may never really need to bring external powered speakers to use in the places I currently service (which are around 50 each month).

My only concern is power spikes and how it will, if it will, affect the unit during a performance. It is a computer, after all...

I have found one glitch so far in the unit and will contact Korg to see if it is something I am doing or what. When I turn the Ensemble on and play with it, it does not register the chord change until after I have released my hands from the left side of the keyboard (I have the split on so I can make chords on the left and solo on the right). It seems as if I am making chord changes too fast for the computer to recognize what I am making to process the Ensemble feature.

Other than that, the only other gripe is that it does not have a specific style for a song called 'King of the Road' by Roger Miller. On the E-09, I use this style for about 7 different songs and so I have had to make due with something else - until I dig into the style creator or download that particular style from somewhere.

This unit is very good and I am, again, very impressed with it. With the 5-pin MIDI ports on it, I will be able to interface with all of my other MIDI gear if I need to for layering and otherwise.

I have not received a response from Korg as to the maximum size of MicroSD I can put into it, but I will start out with what I have and see if the unit sees it or not. I have an 8Gb card so I will start with that.

To respond to the other replies to me:

Since the PA588 is basically an 88-key P500 with a better piano sound, I will pass on it too. I actually have a Lowrey EZP3 being delivered tomorrow and since Kawai bought Lowrey, I know how good their sounds are. I've owned Kawai in the past and love their sound.

I would not likely be interested in the Thomann unit, as I have the Lowrey coming tomorrow. I also plan on getting another synth or two, and possibly even getting the Kross 2 in January 2018, if funds allow. It is my understanding that the Thomann branded keyboards, as well as many others, are actually made by Medeli in China. They have lots of reliability and support issues and the sounds are quite dated, even on their new stuff. I would be very careful if considering one of those types of units.

That is all for now.
Grace, and Rock On...
Harry Ebbeson III
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
menara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Korg PA700 Reply with quote

Hi Musicwithharry

Thanks for your review. How did you find the pa700's keyboard ? Are there any improvements comparing to the pa500 ?
adimatis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I am happy for you! And envious! Smile

About the USB sticks. I think 64 gb will be recommended, eventhough I did see a 128 Gb running just fine with a Pa4x.

About the style you'd like to have... Why not record a full "song" in your E-09, export it as MIDI file, then inport in Pa700 and use the Style Bot...? This way you could actually test how well the function works. Just do all the intro/variations/ending and see what comes out.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg PA700 Reply with quote

menara wrote:
Hi Musicwithharry

Thanks for your review. How did you find the pa700's keyboard ? Are there any improvements comparing to the pa500 ?

I think that the keyboard feel itself was just fine. I have been playing for over 40 years though and can pretty much adapt to any keybed for playing. While I prefer a weighted keybed, I did not experience any difficulties in playing on the PA700 at all.

Grace,
Harry
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adimatis wrote:
Great, I am happy for you! And envious! Smile

About the USB sticks. I think 64 gb will be recommended, eventhough I did see a 128 Gb running just fine with a Pa4x.

About the style you'd like to have... Why not record a full "song" in your E-09, export it as MIDI file, then inport in Pa700 and use the Style Bot...? This way you could actually test how well the function works. Just do all the intro/variations/ending and see what comes out.

Thank you for the advice on the USB sticks. I was not actually inquiring about the USB Flash drives, but rather a MicroSD card. There is an option to add a MicroSD card into the unit to use as additional storage for the PA700. The Flash drives are removable but the MicroSD can be more of a permanent install solution. This is what I was inquiring to as to the max size.

I installed an 8gb card and it recognized it immediately. I imagine that I could go up to 32Gb but wanted to know the max from Korg and they've been less than helpful through social media channels.

With regard to the Roland E-09, I may actually do that and report back with results. We will see.

Grace,
Harry
adimatis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry I missed the bit where you did say microSD. But I am pretty sure 32 gb should not be an issue.

Let us know your discoveries with this board!

How is the new KAOSS to play with?
Nev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchase. The Pa700 and 1000 look like great value for money and full of features. 32 gb SD is fine in the Pa4X as I put one in straight away. Assume the 700 will deal with it ok as well.

Korg Pa4X, PAAS, Tyros 4, Stagepas 400i, Shure headmic, Lenovo 13.5 tablet for PDF`s
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adimatis wrote:
Yes, sorry I missed the bit where you did say microSD. But I am pretty sure 32 gb should not be an issue.

Let us know your discoveries with this board!

How is the new KAOSS to play with?

On what I've played with on the Kaoss options so far, I suppose that it is okay. I would probably not us that feature too much but I will explore it more.

I did play around with hooking up a video monitor to the PA700 tonight and it works well. It can display lyrics or it can display what is on the screen; like a mirror mode. I am not too sure what the usefulness of the mirror mode would be other than to simply make the display larger. What would be really neat is to be able to hook up a touch monitor to it and have the PA700 accept the touch input from the monitor...I am not complaining though.

I did play around with the Drawbar organ program and you can only move one drawbar at a time, so I am not sure how useful that would be. Additionally, I have a Roland VR-09 clonewheel if I need to get better organ sounds anyway.

I also played with the songbook feature tonight. I know that for copyright reasons, they changed the names of the songs, but it would be neat to have the actual original song names somewhere. I could pick lots of them out, but there also many that I did not know the titles of, so I could not play them.

Additionally, my Lowrey EZP3 digital slab piano came in today so I was playing around with that too. It is going to make a nice controller for the studio and I bet the Acoustic Piano sounds on the Korg are going to really open up when played on a weighted keybed. The Lowrey organ company was bought by Kawai some time ago, so the EZP3 is basically a Kawai. Even the heavy duty sustain pedal that came with it had Kawai's name on it.

It was a no-brainer to buy at $345.00 USD, with free shipping. They said it was a customer return, but I could not find any evidence of previous usage at all. The nit normally sold for around $1,800 USD and are only available at one music store; they bought the remaining inventory from Lowrey since Lowrey has come out with a newer model based on Kawai's new sound engine. I am fine with the model I have, as I remember the piano sound well. It is identical to the MP5 and I think the MP6. I used to have the MP5 and loved it. They still have stock, both listed on eBay and at the store's website and they are selling the unit, with power supply, music rest, and pedal, for $399. I do not work for them, but do like to share information about where I get stuff, especially at really good prices. I am not sure if I can list the company name here, so I will hold off for now. I do not want to violate any rules on this forum.

Many of the styles are frighteningly real on the PA700. I am very impressed with the depth of programming Korg has put into this unit. There is one style that sounds almost exactly like 'Long Train Runnin' from the Doobie Brothers. There are others that will easily allow you to play songs from the Eagles and America. There are couple of really good ones for Dire Straits too. I may have to add Sultans of Swing to my set list at the nursing homes now... The Big Band stuff is really good, but I would recommend adding a bit of high end to the drums. They sound a bit dead when combined with all of the horn sounds.

I am impressed with the guitar sounds too. The RX technology and DNC stuff Korg uses makes the sounds really come alive, but you will have to get used to the different buttons and joystick settings to really make them come alive. I have very good lead guitar sounds that I have programmed on both my Kross and M50 and while the EFX routing on the PA700 is not as diverse as the Kross ad M50, they really have good application for distortion and delay. I was able to make a lead guitar on the PA700 and utilized the insert EFX slot for even more realism. I just need to fine-tune it now.

There are also some solo female voices on the PA700 that really struck me in a good way. They are kind of hard to explain, but it sounds like a solo female voice; not the Scat Vocals and other vocal sounds that we normally find (they are on there too, but this one is different). The ensemble string sounds are very good too. I am not a fan of the solo violin sounds; they still sound thin to me. I still use my old Ensoniq SQ-R+/32 rack units for solo violin, flute and oboe sounds on my albums. Nothing I have ever played since, even the OASYS and Kronos, does those the way Ensoniq did. Maybe it's my ear, but I do not think so. All other sounds on the Korg seem to do very well though.

I've not used the sequencer yet, and I am not sure when I will get to that one. I currently use the M50 sequencer and the Ensoniq VFXSD sequencers still, but I suspect that the sequencer on the PA700 is identical, if not a bit more functional than the M50. One obvious difference is the color screen on the PA700 vs. the b/w screen on the M50. The resolution is higher too on the PA700. The storage capacity seems to be the same though.

A future product that I think would be cool too is an arranger like this, in an 88-key format, that also has KARMA in it. How cool would that be to be able to intertwine the arranger and KARMA together...

Grace,
Harry
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nev wrote:
Congrats on your purchase. The Pa700 and 1000 look like great value for money and full of features. 32 gb SD is fine in the Pa4X as I put one in straight away. Assume the 700 will deal with it ok as well.

I figured as much as well. If the Kross, the entry level unit, can handle up to 32Gb, I would think that the PA700 would too. I'll have to get one and see how it works Smile What a great way to have break music between sets Smile

Grace,
Harry
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: I have also just got a pa700 Reply with quote

I too play in nursing homes
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I have also just got a pa700 Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
I too play in nursing homes

Very cool. I have been doing it since 2008, branching completely on my own in 2009. I average around 50 facilities a month right now. I used to do about 80-85 places a month, but toned it down a bit.

I can tell you that in my region, I've seen a slight decline in business. This was part of the reason why I got the PA700. I wanted an updated sound and for us, the best way to do it is to get a new keyboard Smile

It has been a complete honor to serve all of the residents. I am also in the ministry, with a couple of degrees as a pastor so I've also done funerals for people who I played for while they were alive.

I cannot imagine a greater honor in life than serving others and to be able to do so in this capacity is quite humbling for me.

I can tell you that the last week or so has been really fun because the residents and I are experiencing the new keyboard together Smile They still cannot get over how much music can come from one 'electric piano' Smile

Grace,
Harry
screenshot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got my pa700 coming mid November...never owned a korg before so i'm a newbie to the os...incidentally will the new pa700...or the pa1000's for that matter be on the new os version straight out of the box...or will i have to learn how to update the operating system from a youtube vid ...???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: