Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum Kits made from Scratch are way too quiet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIDI_1984

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Drum Kits made from Scratch are way too quiet Reply with quote

So I'm new with the Kronos and I've jumped right in by sampling my old Roland R-8M drum module. I set the levels correctly and when playing back each sample with the 12db increase selected, the drum samples are at the expected volume and sound really great.

But when I put them into a Drum Kit in Global Mode, I lose that 12db boost and I have to jack up the level of each sound to 99 to get them close to what the other preset kits sound like for volume. And still, the volume seems to fall short slightly.

I expect I'm missing something here. How can I get the drum sample levels up? They shouldn't need to get jacked up to 99 just to almost be at the other sound level of the preset kits.

Thanks!
MIDI_1984

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I narrowed it down to the 12db boost not being honored when the samples are placed into a Global Mode Drum Kit.

To reiterate, when I am playing the raw samples in Sampling Mode, I do see that all of them have the 12db selected.

Can anyone assist with getting this to work?
narf
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Programs in the Kronos can be based on Multisamples, Wavesequences and Drumkits. So you have to create a program based on the Drumkit you made in Global and modify it from Program mode. . In Program mode OSC, change Multi to Drumkit and locate your newly created Drumkit. You can boost the amp gain from the AMP mod pages.

Kronos Ultimate Covers Pack
MIDI_1984

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

When I put a single drum sound I sampled in a Multisample and play it in a Program, the +12db boost remains. When I create a Global Drum Kit and put it into a Program using Drum Kit instead of Multisample, the sound has no +12db boost. The main problem I think is that the Global Drum Kits do not keep the +12db boost like the Multisamples do.

Is this broken? A bug? A known limitation?

Since the documentation says the following, I would think this should work:

"In general, +12dB should be On for drums and loops, and Off for any sounds that you play polyphonically. For more information, see “+12dB” on page 712.
The Auto +12dB On setting is made independently for Program, Combination, Sequencer, and Sampling modes."
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parameter guide pages 796-802 cover drum kit in global mode.

One easy to make mistake to make in HD-1 or drum kit velocity layering is to overlook setting the Bottom velocity per sample. Check "bottom velocity" setting of your samples and experiment with truning it all they way up to 127 and all the way down to 0 while pressing the key to see how it goes from silent to incrementally more responsive. If it does not go to silent at any setting, it is because of true Layering going on with the 2nd program OSC active in the background and the 2nd OSC could be set to lower volume and that be what you are hearing while your edited program OSC is silent due to bottom velocity set to non responsive state.

Parameter guide mentions that first you have to select a drum kit in Program mode even if it be through combi or sequencer track. Once that is selected in program mode, you then open global drum kit and it will automatically reference the drum kit you opened in program mode.
Best to copy the drum kit program to a user program so it is edited without affecting the original drum kit which is tied to more than a few factory programs.
Open the user slot program with your copied drum kit program and then open global drum kit from there.

Once in global mode drum kit "Sample setup" tab page, the sound you are hearing there is first determined by program mode drum kit. Settings in program can affect what you hear. Double drums are possible where two program OSC are being used. Global Drum kit edits the 1st OSC of samples even though the the second OSC may still be playing along when you hit your drum notes. It could be your "bottom velocity" setting silencing your intended OSC while the 2nd OSC is playing along at a lower volume setting in program mode. You can go to the program mode kit and look at the OSC to see if it has double OSC set and then you can look at the 2nd OSC to see if it is at lower volume. Maybe just turn off 2nd OSC and work just the 1 OSC in Global to avoid any confusion of sample soundings. If your sample turns out to be silent, then work your "Bottom velocity" settings per sample.

"Sample parameters" tab page in Global Drum kit has more settings that can affect the sound coming through, there is a per sample 3 band EQ as well as other settings like drive and boost.

The next global drum kit Tab page is "Voice mixer" for voice assign mixing or sample assign mixing. Here you can assign each note/sample to an effects bus and there are effects that increase volume significantly and there are effects for EQ and more. So each note can have its own pick of effects as well as output buses like L/R or 1,2,3,4 or 1/2 & 3/4. All these can affect what you hear per each note/sample.

If you had a preset drum kit program referenced in global drum kit and you were only changing out the samples per key ,to insert your own R-8M samples without changing any settings in program kit or Global kit, then it is most likely your sampling is not recorded loud enough. If this is the case, then ask about how to get louder samples.
I think going through all program and global Drum kit tab page settings first is a good start, especially if you are new to it. The more feature details you cover, the less they can be a hidden block in progress when trying to get work done.
MIDI_1984

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that informative response.

I ended up leaving the levels at 00 in the Global Drum kit for each sound and found that increasing the Drive in Program P4 AMP/EQ to full volume, I got no distortion as far as I can tell and the louder sound I needed.

But I am discouraged that the Drum Kits do not honor the +12db checkbox.

I found the following link that goes back to the Oasis where the same problem was discussed and it sounds like it wasn't going to be fixed:

https://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?p=46746

Has anyone heard anything about this since?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: