Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polysix program - need aftertouch!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrylh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Polysix program - need aftertouch! Reply with quote

I'm using Polysix program as part of a complex combination for song.

I have to play the outro solo while chording with my left hand, and am unable to use the joystick for modulation (wavy-ness...).

I also need to keep rock solid time during the fast passage, so I need to stamp my right foot, eliminating the possibility of using a pedal.

I really need to use aftertouch to trigger the Joystick + Y.

Anyone know if this can be achieved?

thx!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of modulation do you want ? Tremolo, Vibrato, pitch bend, filter sweep, pulse width modulation etc... ?
In any case, for the most Polysix controls, as soon as you select a knob, you can assign an AMS in the corresponding window.
Among the AMS list you just want to choose "Aftertouch".

Here's an example with VCF Cutoff :

darrylh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Polysix program - need aftertouch! Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the help.

It's the vibrato that I need to activate with the aftertouch.

When I highlight the vibrato knob in VCO section, the AMS mixer is "off", so when I choose "aftertouch" or "polyaftertouch", nothing happens.

Aftertouch is enabled, I can get it to work using your "cutoff" example below.

Any ideas?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Polysix program - need aftertouch! Reply with quote

darrylh wrote:
Thanks so much for the help.

It's the vibrato that I need to activate with the aftertouch.

When I highlight the vibrato knob in VCO section, the AMS mixer is "off", so when I choose "aftertouch" or "polyaftertouch", nothing happens.

Aftertouch is enabled, I can get it to work using your "cutoff" example below.

Any ideas?

Intensity setting has to be adjusted in most cases. Not sure why it worked in Cutoff but not Vibrato. Maybe Cutoff doesn't need intensity or already had intensity -or it is something else?
Anyway, just to try- start with an intensity setting of 25 and adjust from there.
If intensity does not solve it, maybe try Vibrato to other AMS options to see if it responds to other AMS. If it is just trouble with Aftertouch as Vibrato AMS, then you may need to see after-touch in global settings. If all AMS for Vibrato are giving no response, then that is another issue beyond me right now.

Page 754-755 parameter guide covers aftertouch curve. Settings 1 to 8.
Settings in Global basics page in the top left section with Master tune and velocity curve, you will have "After Touch Curve". You want to start with either 3,4 or 5 to be sure to get trouble free response. Other settings are either too hard or too soft or too random for testing purposes.
After touch also is affected by Global Midi page "convert position" settings. It affects how After touch responds but does not stop it from responding.
darrylh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Polysix program - need aftertouch! Reply with quote

Hmmm....no luck.

Aftertouch is clearly working, I can use it with other aspects of this program perfectly using Liviou2004's method.

When I highlight "vibrato int", change the AMS & Int mod to "aftertouch", put any amount of intensity, still nothing.

Any further advice?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vibrato is a cyclic modulation of pitch.
So you have to give a look at Pitch section of Polysix EX (see Parameters Guide, page 337 and 338)

As it is said there, you can't modulate Bend Range with an AMS. However, you can modulate two parameters with AMS : Transpose and Tune.
So try to apply Aftertouch at one of the both.
Doing that you'll apply a only bend up or down but not a modulation one.

You'll have to trigger one modulation (LFO for a Vibrato) with another one (AFtertouch). For that purpose, you'll have to use the AMS Mixer. A very powerful feature of the Kronos. See Parameters Guide, from page 102.

You choose "AMS Mixer 1" as a AMS source for Tune parameter.
Then, go to "AMS Mixer" tab.
Chose Mixer type "A * B"
LFO as "AMS A" with Amount to 00
Aftertouch as "AMS B" with Amount to what you want.
Chose Mixer type "A * B"
LFO as "AMS A" with Amount to 00
Aftertouch as "AMS B" with Amount to what you want.

Here is a graphic excerpt from the Parameters Guide (with EG as the second source but just imagine replacing it with Aftertouch):

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: