Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4X & KRONOS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: PA4X & KRONOS Reply with quote

It seems that some of you have combined a Kronos with your 4X. I would appreciate knowing how you utilize the combined keyboards. Thanks.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron

It's a match made in heaven.
These 2 keyboards work so well in terms of having very little overlap.
I use my Kronos MIDI'd to my PA4X and often use Kronos sounds as UPPER 1 in style play mode.
Also just in SOUND play mode layering Kronos with PA4X sounds - the options are endless

PA4X with its DNC, Kaoss etc...
Kronos with its many sound engines (CX3 - love it) and SST (and KARMA of course - sometimes use KARMA combis instead of a style)
I'm sure others may use them differently.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for question a little bit of main Topic.
@Pete
What you think I lose if instead Pa4x I'll get Pa1000 to work with Kronos, of course in your experience. Wink
Fl Studio 21, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Korg Pa5x Sounds at Performers Heaven
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nemik
I don't know the full details of the PA1000 but I am sure you would be able to connect Kronos in the same manner as I mentioned above.
I would hope that master transpose and other controllers would connect OK (joystick etc) but (sorry) without a PA1000 in front of me I can't be 100% sure.

The only other things you would "lose" are basically those overall differences per the specs.

Don't know if this really helps.... Confused

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Kronos 2 for my Band gigs and I use the Pa4x for solo gigs. Rarely do I use both on the same gig unless it's a wedding and I perform the Ceremony, Cocktail hour, and then the Reception. I bring and use both for those.

Fooling around in the studio, I rarely midi them both together. I'm usually programming songs/patches/combi's on the Kronos. And because of the weighted keybed, I use it for rehearsal and finger training.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also occasionally for a quick sample of new materiel, I AUDIO-OUT KK into PA4X-AUDIO IN with PA4X_MIDI-OUT to KK-MIDI-IN then I can layer and play getting all sounds through the PA4X - great for a quick MP3 recording!!!!

Pete Very Happy
Bernie9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Pa4x as the master in split mode, how would you configure the two to be able to switch RH voices if you didn't want a layer.

Bernie
Hammond SK1
Bill1983

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Also occasionally for a quick sample of new materiel, I AUDIO-OUT KK into PA4X-AUDIO IN with PA4X_MIDI-OUT to KK-MIDI-IN then I can layer and play getting all sounds through the PA4X - great for a quick MP3 recording!!!!

Pete Very Happy

I'm doing basically the same thing with my PA4x and a DAW. It takes some time to get the mapping happy but, once that's done, it's very portable because I only need the PA4x keyboard and run my DAW outputs to the PA4x inputs as well with no discernible sound quality loss.
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
Bill1983

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie9 wrote:
With the Pa4x as the master in split mode, how would you configure the two to be able to switch RH voices if you didn't want a layer.

Bernie

I just set my upper (channel 1,2,3) outputs to output 1 or 2. It's the only way I could figure out to keep the channels midi intact (mute kills the midi out). Outputs 1 & 2 aren't going to my amp/speakers so they're muted externally but the PA4x thinks they're still doing something.
PA4x, PA500, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live 10 Standard, NI Komplete12 Ultimate, EWQL Libraries, Nektar Impact LX88, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 Gen2, Studiologic MP-117 Pedalboard
Bernie9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bill. I will try it.
Hammond SK1
Ron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
Found a very nice used KKX over the weekend. Have two weeks to decide if I want to keep it. I appreciate the earlier responses to my initial question but now have more for those of you that have both keyboards.

1. How do you arrange the two? Stacked or side by side?

2. KK audio out thru the 4X or vice-versa? Or both direct to amps? Pros/cons? Configuration?

3. Assume the KK must have it's own sustain pedal? or ...

4. If I midi 4X upper 1 to the KK, will the 4x sustain pedal also sustain the KK? Any tips on the midi setup.

5. I think I read where the KK can be split. If true, is there a way to midi the 4x to play both the upper and lower sounds on the KK?

Looking forward to trying the combined KB's later today. I'm sure I will have many more questions. Will appreciate help, suggestions, opinions. Thanks
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron:

About your questions:

1.- It depends on which way you'll feel better.- I my case i use them side by side in 90%; in front of my Kronos because it have's 88 key, and on the right my PA4x.- On the left my mackie mixer and monitor system.
2.- Audio outputs (Kronos and PA4x), goes directly to mixer.- I never conect audio outputs directly to amps; and mixer output goes to a dual direct-box, and from there to amp or mixer for full band (depending on gig: on small places i use a pair of SWR California blondie II amps; on big places my band uses a PA).- About never conect directly my keyboards to amp, is because a friend a little shortcut on the amp blown up his Kronos circuit.- Other usefull and important hardware you must have is a good UPS.- I use an APC BR1500g because is the best i could find in my country; i want a Furman F1000 but nobody imports that.- I also have a midi patchbay that let's me choose which keyboard will control the other one, or choose to not control on both ways.-
3.- Each keyboard must have it's own pedals for: damper, volume, etc.- Take in count that when you control one keyboard in link via midi with the other, you can choose what messages will be send.- Take a time to read both manuals, specific midi interconections and control.-
4.- Yes. Read my previous answer.
5.- Yes Kronos can be splited, this function was introduces on the latest OS version (which becomes by factory on Kronos 88ls) that you must upgrade. And yes you can send two separate channels upper and lower sound to Kronos from PA4x; but i think this is not usefull, why you chosse sending sounds if you can play directly on your Kronos ?

Hopping these helps you, and finally, i agree with Pete: It's a match made in heaven.-

With regards.
Eduardo
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eduardo_Arg wrote:

3.- Each keyboard must have it's own pedals for: damper, volume, etc.- Take in count that when you control one keyboard in link via midi with the other, you can choose what messages will be send.- Take a time to read both manuals, specific midi interconections and control.-

not necessary, sustain pedal can control other keyboards, for example if you set midi out to Upper 1 and press sustain, all whats coming thru this channel midi will sent also sustain, means other keyboard on same channel will receive sustain.

Wink
Fl Studio 21, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Korg Pa5x Sounds at Performers Heaven
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eduardo - thanks for your quick and thorough response. Also thanks for your comment Nemik.

I got the Kronos working last night. Used two chairs, an old table top and some blocks for a stand. Looks silly but works for now. I have no mixer so ran the audio through my 4X and it worked fine. 4X connects to four studio monitors and a sub. And Eduardo, I agree completely about the UPS. Thought I was the only paranoid user.

Anyway, the KK was overwhelming! Awesome sounds! But most have more reverb than my small room can handle. Will check to see if there is a master reverb setting like the 4x. I've got a lot of reading ahead of me if I keep this thing.

Tonight I will try to MIDI the two KB's. Wish me luck!

Thanks again.
Stilli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you that have the Kronos, would you buy the same again or something else to pair with the PA4X?

I may be looking for a new 88 weighted keyboard to replace my Yamaha S90XS in the near future and not sure which way to go although the Kronus is looking to be a favorite at the moment.
It will be my master keyboard for live and studio work, will be used with my PA4x in a 2 board setup.
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: