Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos - questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teashea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos - questions Reply with quote

I have never owned a Korg before and am considering getting a Kronos. It seems great. I have searched the forum and web and cannot find out it it has a metal or plastic panel. Also, there is not much on the pipe organ sound or the B3 sound or Leslie sound. Can anyone fill me in a bit?

Thanks

Tom
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi teashea,

My Kronos-2 has a metal panel. I'm pretty sure the older Kronos models do as well. The church organs are nice and of course you can buy many more sounds if you need more than the stock sounds. What's more, the Kronos is a sampler so you can import your own or create new multisamples, etc.

The Korg CX-3 tonewheel organ and its dedicated effects and Leslie are excellent as well. You can use the sliders as drawbars, etc. You can't go wrong with a Kronos ! Cool
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos - questions Reply with quote

teashea wrote:
Also, there is not much on the pipe organ sound or the B3 sound or Leslie sound. Can anyone fill me in a bit?

Thanks

Tom

The pipe organ sounds good to me- but thats subjective.

I posted this last week- The term or instruments " B3" and "leslie " are trademarked. Thus Korg cannot state them

Instead, the Kronos has 'drawbars' and " niacin ", "barbarian " , Joey D", "coster" and other descriptors. Go thru the Program list to find them.

rotary speaker is the term to replace Leslie

Korgs CX-3 engine sounds very good. My songs using the organ sounds show that the "hammond/Leslie" sounds are realistic.

There are likely about 100 YT's showing this also.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An entire synth engine dedicated to Organ sounds with emulation of B3 as main part of it. Leslie and more included.

That is just one of 9 symth engines for everything from Piano, to advanced synthesis for simulating acoustic and synth sounds.

A new Kronos comes stock with lots of organs or many kinds. You can just open the basic program selection oage and play away. Then comes learning the system for all the flexibility it has for customizing every sound.
Including the mentioned bringing in new sounds.

Combi mode where you can layer several sounds to play as one thick sound. If organs are not meeting your need, you can layer several organs.
I was making layers where the organ had the bass i needed, the electric piano had the mid range i needed and the top range was a mix of two sounds.
So organ bass on the bottom two octaves, electric piano from the bottom to the top octave and another sound at the top to all layer together to sound like one seamless sound with all the best qualities of several sounds.
Kronos is the best options unless you have a unique need that Kronos does not meet. Organs are not Kronos weak point when it comes to workstations.
Kronos is great to habe with another keyboard too.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teashea wrote:
...pipe organ sound or the B3 sound or Leslie sound..."

Several have posted comments regarding the B3 and Leslie sounds. Here's a c&p from the OG:
----------
Based on Korg’s ground‐breaking CX‐3 keyboard (with additional refinements), the CX‐3 is a detailed tone‐ wheel organ model with live drawbar control,

Perfect tone‐wheel phase coherency means solid, powerful sounding chords just like the real thing. A choice of tone wheel types, adjustable overtones, leakage, noise, and key‐click modeling provide unparalleled realism.

Amp modeling, Vibrato/Chorus, and Rotary Speaker effects are built in. EX mode lets you introduce additional drawbar and percussion harmonics, for new timbres unavailable on traditional organs.
----------

In addition, you'll find several church organ configurations along with male/female choirs of various vowels. Combi's allow you to stack, balance (position on stage), and then fade in or out - one at a time or several at a time.

The IFX additionally allows you to resize the room to your liking. It's so good you can put the choir at the back of the stage, the organ pipes behind them on the back wall, the piano center front, a couple harps rear left, violins stage left, violas and cellos stage right...well, you get the idea.

I've had my K2 for about 9 months. I'd say I have probably gotten 10% of what it can do. Amazing instrument.

Best to ya,
4God
laandodeman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the hammond sound on the Kronos better than for example the Nords.

However, for rock-organs, I don't like the leslie simulation so much - it misses "body". I found the overdrive makes the hammond sound thin and screamy in the wrong sense of the word. IMHO of course. Perhaps is this is related to my lack of understanding of sound programming.

My solution to get a rock organ that cuts through the mix is to add the Neo-Ventilator to the Kronos.

For the rest I can really recommend to buy the Kronos. It's simply the best keyboard/synth/workstation around.
pete.m

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg also gave away a free bank's worth of additional organ sounds which you might like to check out. Take a look here for more details - https://shop.korg.com/Kronos/KRS-06.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laandodeman wrote:
I like the hammond sound on the Kronos better than for example the Nords.

However, for rock-organs, I don't like the leslie simulation so much - it misses "body". I found the overdrive makes the hammond sound thin and screamy in the wrong sense of the word. IMHO of course. Perhaps is this is related to my lack of understanding of sound programming.

My solution to get a rock organ that cuts through the mix is to add the Neo-Ventilator to the Kronos.

For the rest I can really recommend to buy the Kronos. It's simply the best keyboard/synth/workstation around.

also depends on your use, application of Kronos. If you gig, play in a band, I can see where the Vent is useful.

For recording, song writing, I don't need to over drive Kronos organs to scream, etc, . The organ programs plus FX do a fine job adding punch .

for strictly home use of Kronos, its more subjective if a Vent is needed. I have 2 friends locally who mostly use their Kronos for home stuff, and the Vent does not get utilized much.
Sweat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a Vent with my K quite a bit, but just got the Organimation library from K-sounds last week. It has been highly recommended here for outstanding leslie sim using the internal rotary fx. Been too busy to try it yet, but plan to this week.
GrahamBanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Korg Kronos - questions Reply with quote

Currently there are a few quite good B-3 emulations, and a few out of production but available used. In order of quality, in my opinion:

1. Korg Kronos
2. Hammond SK-2
3. E-mu b3
4. Korg cx-3
5. Kurzweil pc-3
6. Nord elect\\

teashea wrote:
I have never owned a Korg before and am considering getting a Kronos. It seems great. I have searched the forum and web and cannot find out it it has a metal or plastic panel. Also, there is not much on the pipe organ sound or the B3 sound or Leslie sound. Can anyone fill me in a bit?

Thanks

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: