Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you trade Radias Keyboard for a Korg Z1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
javaj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Would you trade Radias Keyboard for a Korg Z1 Reply with quote

So I have offered a trade for my Radias and was offered a Korg Z1 (expanded) and Roland MC303. What are your thoughts on this trade? I am looking for "unique" sounds that I can use for sound design- and the physical modelling caught my attention. I love the Radias but wonder if the Z1 is just super unique and worth having in my collection.
DaniH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's up to YOU. If you like the sounds you can get from the Z1 better than the Radias than go for it.
slug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Z1 is superior in many ways if you are after something different - the physical modelling is certainly something interesting compared to the fairly typical subtractive synthesis available on the Radias, although it is also more challenging to program due to this and its fewer knob interface.

One of my favourite string sounds I ever used came off a Z1 i had in the studio in the late 90's.
thehighesttree
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both those synths...well, the mini version of each one: R3 and a Prophecy. My firsthand knowledge is limited to these two so keep that in mind if you're reading this.

First, remember that you'd be losing some big fundamentals from the Radias: Do you use the vocoder? Process audio input? The motion sequencing is pretty powerful too, and the DWGS waves, sequencer, and a multitude of the more unique/modern FX are also absent from the Z1.

However, many of the things that can be done on the Z1 simply can't be replicated with a Radias: 8-parameter envelopes (a bunch of them), cool LFOs, THE MODELLING ENGINES, a rich CC/controller-assignment matrix, the great playing interface and some other weirdo stuff. It's an ambitious tool for novel sounds, IF you take the time to coax them out. I hear the Z1 is a little nicer for programming than the Prophecy due to some more dedicated face controls, but I imagine it's still DX7-esque and hard to see a coherent idea through all the parameters. You want to start with the oscillators since that's where a lot of the depth lies, but even stuff like the Amp section contains some unexpected goodies that reward exploration. It's definitely ripe for experimentation, and one of the better synths in general for truly novel sounds. I'm happy with the Prophecy's engine and it's only mono! I can't imagine the type of pads you could make on a Z1, on top of everything else! Comb oscillators? Bowed strings modeling?! With all the mod sources! Still, I can attest that R3 is much better for programming with all the LED halos and screens (really nice!), and Radias kills the MOSS/Solo-Tri devices for a hands-on programming interface, no contest.

They have a similar sound, though the Prophecy is definitely less "wheezy" or "fizzy" than the R3. People describe the Z1's sound as more balanced for poly and less plummy than the Prophecy, but I'm only going on 3rd-hand info here. R3/Radias is great for higher-pitched sounds, pads and digital basses, and its FX engine and automation is awfully powerful in its own right. For example on the R3, you can motion sequence the DWGS oscillator waveform for some crazy wavetable-y stuff, among all kinds of other options.

Ultimately that's a tough choice....the MC-303 is chump change unless you're into its sounds, so I woudn't let that sway your decision too much. They're two really powerful instruments: The Radias with its great programming interface/FX/input processing/automation, and Z1 with a complex digital engine with unique instrument modelling, and awesome performance interface to control it all. It's a good problem to have!
Panason

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't care about having a dedicated piece of hardware, and just care about your sound design possibilities you'll get a lot more from software synths these days (assuming you have a good computer and decent audio interface).

The Radias generally sounds more industrial and is geared more towards electronic music than the Z1.
Neural Tech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Radias is an amazing synth, but it does not match up to the Z1 in my opinion. The Z1 sounds richer and has more tricks under the hood overall.

The Radias can be imitated by a number of other popular synths, but the Z1 cannot. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: