Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Controlling AKAI MPC Live/MPCX with Korg PA4x
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
armaan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Controlling AKAI MPC Live/MPCX with Korg PA4x Reply with quote

Planning to purchase either the MPCX or LIVE for more sampling capability.

On page 904 of the KORG PA4x manual the PC messages are clearly defined: Intro 1 = PC80, Intro 2 = PC81. I intend to chop loops on the MPC, assign each loop to Pads 1 - 16 of the MPCX or LIVE and use Korg to turn on/off the pads on the MPC. For example: Press intro 1 on KORG PA4x to turn Pad 1 ON on MPC, Press Intro 2 on KORG and turn off pad 1 and turn ON pad 2 on the MPC

Here's what I think I know so far:
1. Connect Midi wire to Korg pa4x MIDI out to MPC MIDI IN.
2. On KORG PA4x, go to GLOBAL menu, MIDI settings, assign 'CONTROL' on channel 16 MIDI OUT/ Set channel 16 MIDI IN of the MPC - to receive 'control message'

First of all is this possible? If yes, how? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armaan,

I am not familiar with the AKAI equipment, but I had a quick look at the User Manual for the AKAI MCPX. Surprisingly, I could not find anything in the midi section that describes how to turn a Pad On/Off with an external midi command (but maybe I was looking in the wrong place). So you need to satisfy yourself on this first.

The next question is whether the AKAI midi can be remapped so that it responds in the way you want to the midi which the PA4X sends as you select the various VARS, ENDINGS, etc. Again, I could not find any midi remapping in the AKAI User Manual.

So... I think the next step is to research the midi capabilities of the AKAI in detail.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not positive, but both Akai MPCX and Live is not supporting sending external PC midi message.
armaan wrote:
Planning to purchase either the MPCX or LIVE for more sampling capability.

I'm not sure what you mean, but Akai MPCX or MPC Live will not extend Korg sample capability, those devices is complete independent samplers, means they have storage for own audio samples, but is complete different samples kind as Korg used for sounds.
and price of Akai MPCX=22000$ or Akai MPC Live1100$ Surprised for something is not really design to work with Professional Arranger in my opinion doesn't make any sense.
For controlling elements or other Korg Pa events you can used much cheaper and very easy to program controller from Akai MPK family, like Akai MPK49 or smaller MPK225 which new cost only 250$ and will control anything is possible to control on Korg.
...or Midi Foot controller FBC 1010 which is only 150$. Wink
Fl Studio 21, Ableton Live 10 Suite.
Korg Pa5x Sounds at Performers Heaven
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Controlling AKAI MPC Live/MPCX with Korg PA4x Reply with quote

armaan wrote:
On page 904 of the KORG PA4x manual the PC messages are clearly defined: Intro 1 = PC80, Intro 2 = PC81. ......

As far as I know these Program change messages are reserved for controlling the Pa4x functions and not the other way around.

Ex: You can use a nanoPAD2 controller to remotely trigger Intros/Endings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz8LLCkdAyg

armaan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your assistance!

Korg PA4x offers 400mb of sampling, hence the need for a independent sampler. I was hoping that I could trigger the AKAI pads from Korg PA4x using midi. The samples would reside independently on the MPC - since it has all of the sampling capability as the Korg, perhaps more control when slicing samples. Each sliced loop would be assigned to the MPC pads that would be triggered ON/OFF via MIDI using Korg PA4x. I would load a style on PA4x and each variations/fills/ intros and ends would trigger a specific pad ON/OFF on the MPC. The samples would be of course synchronized with PA4x MIDI clock and programmed with same time signature and tempo - we have these sampling capabilities available on PA4x, but 400 or 600 mb is not sufficient for the project I am working on.

I did not know that the PC messages 80 -94 works one-way; PA4x only receives MIDI messages from DAW or NANO and not the other way around.

I hope that in the future OS updates could can make PC message 80 -94 (not sure about exact number) two-way transmission.

Any other ideas are always welcome Wink
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armaan wrote:

I did not know that the PC messages 80 -94 works one-way; PA4x only receives MIDI messages from DAW or NANO and not the other way around.

I hope that in the future OS updates could can make PC message 80 -94 (not sure about exact number) two-way transmission.

Any other ideas are always welcome Wink

Is always the way Razz
but is very complicate because you trying make work together 2 different kind devices, Akai MPC is DJ equipment and Pa4x is Arranger, is hard to sync together, but is possible.
MPC sending and receiving notes via MIDI, means i very easy control MPC from Korg,... but using MPC Pads to control PC on Korg you need use something between to change note for PC message.
armaan wrote:
....The samples would be of course synchronized with PA4x MIDI clock and programmed with same time signature and tempo - we have these sampling capabilities available on PA4x, but 400 or 600 mb is not sufficient for the project I am working on.

I'm not sure if you fully understand how sampling on Korg works, is complete different that the way is on MPC.
Wink
armaan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using KORG arrangers for the past twenty years or so. I owned the I30, then the PA1X, PA800, PA3X and now the PA4X. The sampling feature on PA4X, other than RAM, and PA1X hasn't changed much. If I had 1GB of RAM I would have not considered another external sampler.

The MPC can slice samples, assign the corresponding MIDI events to each sampled Slice and you can assign the final loop to a PAD (similar concept as the KORG PA sampler). MPC has 8 banks of 16 pads (128 pads total).

My intent is to independently sample loops on MPC, assign each loop to MPC pads and only trigger the MPC pads ON/OFF using MIDI PC messages, this way I can play a Style on Korg PA and all the Intros/fills/variations would be mapped to MPC pads. MIDI PC messages would only turn ON/OFF the corresponding PAD on MPC. The MPC would play the sampled loops internally.

The difference between MPC and KORG (other than the obvious; Arranger with Sampling capability and the other an external Sampler, Sequencer) is that on the KORG you don't have pads, but you do have:

1. Intro 1
2. Intro 2
3. Count-In
4. Variation 1
5. Variation 2
6. Variation 3
7. Variation 4
8. Fill 1
9. Fill 2
10. Fill 3
11. Fill 4
12. Break
13. End 1
14. End 2

Each of the above-mentioned can possibly mapped to a corresponding PAD on the MPC. The only MIDI transmission from KORG MIDI OUT to MPC MIDI IN would be PC messages, MIDI Clock. Each sample loop would independently stored and played from the MPC.

I think in theory this is possible - both instruments; KORG and MPC use MIDI. The question is if KORG or MPC would allow transmission of MIDI PC Message and how it can be mapped.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armaan wrote:
The difference between MPC and KORG (other than the obvious; Arranger with Sampling capability and the other an external Sampler, Sequencer) is that on the KORG you don't have pads,

Just FYI,
In Pa4X there are 4 Pads that can play single-track hits or sequences, that you can instantly play with the dedicated PADS buttons.
They can either play single sounds or short, cycling sequences that play in time with the Style or the MIDI Song. In Style Play mode, sequences are transposed according to the recognized chords.
armaan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for pointing the obvious Very Happy

My original question was about MIDI. Is it possible to transmit PC Messages from KORG PA MIDI OUT to MPC MIDI IN to trigger the 16 pads on the MPC ON/OFF?

Thanks to KORG PA4x, he even checked the MPC Manual and SAM CA that responded to my specific question.
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I can see what you trying to do. Wink
before I try to explain you, I can tell you for money you going to pay for MPC you can get Ableton Live software and Launchpad MK2 or Launchpad Pro (better) and do anything you want.
...but I try now give you idea , put you in right direction how I would be do to make work.
to access program on MPC you can use custom sound on Korg, but on track control you need to change Int/Ext from Both to External and set exactly same as you program on MPC.
You can use one of Style track for this.
same track you set to midi out for same Channels as Midi In on MPC.
you can keep mute this track or if this is Intro set only on Intro.
Korg allow you set different sounds for each elements.
now you need to create midi track with notes for fire your samples on MPC depending how is set there (Pad1=note C2, Pad2=note C#2 etc) you create same notes on Korg track.
Only problem is you must set this track on No transpose and Style track will be always follow style clock, means will be not perfect on fills and breaks, but will start from beginning on Intros, Vars and Ending.
Better way is using Pads for this, but will be tricky to set Program Change sequence (121:000:000),

Of course all this I'm basing on my experience using Korg Pa600, can be a little different on Pa4x,also never use MPC, just briefly read manual.
I hope this put you on right track how can be done. Wink
armaan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nemic.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armaan wrote:
Thank you for pointing the obvious Very Happy

Your welcome.
I just replied to what you mentioned; "on the KORG you don't have pads" and I thought it's was not obvious for you that the Pa4X has Pads....Smile
Sorry if that didn't help to your original question.
amiri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to everyone, I’m not trying to be disrespectful to anyone but KORG Co. I am very disappointed just like everyone else for all these years that I’m purchasing PA series starting withPa80/Pa1x/2X/3X/4X and I am very frustrated because of the same issues. unfortunately KORG never delivered what consumer wants the same subject repeatedly being posted on the forum the consumer always asked for more ram Memory which never happened all these years please stop monopoly’s the consumer by giving minimum ram memory in every new Pa series releases . Second problem, blocking midi messages to send to an external device using Pa by intro variations fills and endings buttons to sync with another external drum machine or external apps .thats the reason I walked away from KORG product , not only me also all my other musician friends that I know to walk away from KORG products . Also all other musicians that I know not to buy KORG anymore . Soon KORG will be obsolete if they don’t act right and not take care of their business check this video Guy’s soon an app will replace KORG Pa arranger keyboard just like this Computer software .....🤔
Think twice make one right decision before you lose everyone .
Peace.....

https://youtu.be/kYR7WYUa-w
Nemik
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amiri wrote:
Hello to everyone, I’m not trying to be disrespectful to anyone but KORG Co. I am very disappointed just like everyone else for all these years that I’m purchasing PA series starting withPa80/Pa1x/2X/3X/4X and I am very frustrated because of the same issues. unfortunately KORG never delivered what consumer wants the same subject repeatedly being posted on the forum the consumer always asked for more ram Memory which never happened all these years please stop monopoly’s the consumer by giving minimum ram memory in every new Pa series releases . Second problem, blocking midi messages to send to an external device using Pa by intro variations fills and endings buttons to sync with another external drum machine or external apps .thats the reason I walked away from KORG product , not only me also all my other musician friends that I know to walk away from KORG products . Also all other musicians that I know not to buy KORG anymore . Soon KORG will be obsolete if they don’t act right and not take care of their business check this video Guy’s soon an app will replace KORG Pa arranger keyboard just like this Computer software .....🤔
Think twice make one right decision before you lose everyone .
Peace.....

https://youtu.be/kYR7WYUa-w

Good luck with this software. ROFL ROFL ROFL
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amiri

Sorry to hear about your frustrations...
Quote:
I am very disappointed just like everyone else for all these years that I’m purchasing PA series starting withPa80/Pa1x/2X/3X/4X and I am very frustrated because of the same issues.

...are you sure about everyone else?
If you have been frustrated for all those years why keep buying the Korgs? I'm not sure I understand Confused

Sorry you are over Korg - hope you find a good solution to suit your needs.
Genos and Audya may be worth trying (serious suggestion - not being sarcastic)

All the best

Pete Very Happy

@armaan - sorry - now hopefully back to your topic... Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: