Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External MIDI control using Function Assign

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: External MIDI control using Function Assign Reply with quote

Typically you could use a foot switch to start/stop a song, or go to the next program, switch up an octave, turn the drum track on/off, etc.

But you used to be able to do those only one at a time. Now with Function Assign, you can set up an external MIDI controller to access any or all of those functions using MIDI CCs. These functions include:

Program Up/Down
Song Start/Stop, song punch-in, drum track on/off, tap tempo
Octave Up/Down
Ribbon, Joystick, and Aftertouch lock
Real time knobs 1-8
Pads 1-8, chord switch on/off
Switch 1 and 2, Value Slider inc/dec
(remember the DW8000)

I've successfully programmed 8 buttons on an iPad in MIDI Designer to play Kronos Pads 1-8. What's more, the pad chords are sent to MIDI OUT and control an external sound module!

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up for this nifty little feature buried in GLOBAL mode on the Controllers/Scales tab. HTH
Opit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell me how to do that ?
I'm trying to control Kronos with Behringer Motor MIDI controller which can send only MIDI CC or Makie data.
Apple Logic Pro X
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do, so I will have to guess. For example, let's suppose with your Motor 61 you want to use the 8 pads and 8 rotary knobs to play the Kronos pads and the Kronos real time knobs.

On the Function Assign page of the Kronos, let's use MIDI CCs 111-118 to control the pads (these are unused MIDI CCs in the MIDI standard). On the GLOBAL => Controllers/Scales page => Function Assign, change Pad1 to CC 111, Pad2 to 112, etc.

Now on your Motor61, change pad 1 to transmit CC 111, pad 2 to 112, etc. Now you should be able to play the Kronos pads from your Motor61 pads.

For the 8 rotary knobs, let's use MIDI CCs 21-28. On the Kronos GLOBAL page, now change RT knob 1 to CC 21, RT knob2 to CC 22, etc. Similarly, on the Motor61, change your first knob to transmit CC 21, the 2nd knob to CC22, etc.

Now you should be able to play the Kronos pads and realtime rotary knobs from your Motor61.

Here's a link to all the MIDI CCs and what they are used for. At the bottom of the page it shows the unused CCs that you can use however you want.
http://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: