Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Controlling Master Volume on triton Rack from Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfootjim159

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Controlling Master Volume on triton Rack from Kronos Reply with quote

I am using a Triton Rack with my Kronos because I have some programs on it that I still want to use . When I used it with my Triton Studio I just programed Knob 1 on the Studio to Master Volume, which let me control the volume of the Triton Rack from my Triton Studio. I can't seem to get this to work with the Kronos. I have created a Combi on the Kronos that is silent so I can use it as a midi controller for the Rack. I would like to be able to adjust the volume FROM the Kronos because it's kind of hard to reach down to the Rack after I've already started playing. I know the Volume pedal can do this but on some of my Combi's the volume pedal is programmed to only adjust the volume of one or two of the patches in the Combi. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Jim
PS. I am only able to assign different control parameters to Knobs 5-8 on the Kronos. Since the Rack only has Knobs 1-4 I'm thinking this could be the problem
mikelees

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've played all those pieces of kit at one time - was a big fan of the Triton Studio and Triton Rack!

I'm guessing you had Knob #1 on the Triton Studio assigned to Midi CC 07 (volume) which controlled the volume of the Triton Rack.

Kronos is somewhat more complex than Triton Studio - so there are a number of ways to set this up on Kronos. The two easiest ways would be:

Method 1: Using Knobs 5-8 in RT KNOBS/KARMA mode: The Kronos control surface needs to be in RT KNOBS/KARMA mode (RT KNOBS/KARMA button on the left). In your program on Kronos, go to the Basic/Vector -> Controllers tab -> P1: Basic/Vector– Set Up Controllers page, and set up the midi CC for one of knobs 5-8 to volume CC 07. Page 44 of the Kronos Operation Guide.

Method 2: Using any of the control surface controllers (knobs, faders) in EXT mode. The Kronos control surface needs to be in EXT mode (EXT button on the left). To map controllers in EXT mode to midi CCs, you need to go to GLOBAL mode -> P1: MIDI page -> External1. Here you can map any of the controllers (faders or knobs) to Midi CC 07, and use this to control Triton Rack volume. Operation Guide page 180. I control MainStage from the Kronos this way.

For either method, whatever control surface mode you use (RT KNOBS/KARMA or EXT), if that mode is active when you save your silent Combi, then it should store that setting.

Technically, I don't think there are any sounds in the Triton Rack that the Kronos can't reproduce, since it has all the same samples in HD1. Various people have created recreations of some Triton sounds for Kronos - a bit of searching on the web and in this forum should locate them. In my experience, there are still some sonic differences, even if the sample and all the various program settings are the same, so your mileage may vary. Personally, I think it's down to filter and effect differences, and the sample compression in the Triton giving sounds a certain "smudgy" quality, so sample looping etc. seems to be a bit more obvious in Kronos.
bigfootjim159

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Controlling Master Volume on triton Rack from Kronos Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I am trying to reproduce these patches on the Kronos but (as I'm sure you know) it's VERY time consuming! Also many of my patches use the installed MOSS board. These are the ones I'm having the most trouble reproducing. I am finding many awesome new patches though! Thanks again for the reply!!!
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: