Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio Glitches with new MBP. Could it be a USB-c issue?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nwebb123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Audio Glitches with new MBP. Could it be a USB-c issue? Reply with quote

Hello. I want to check if there are any known issues with the Kronos interfacing with USB-c while I’m still within the 30-day period and have the option to send my new MBP back! Having read the forums this looks more like an issue with Sierra, but I just want to double-check, just in case.

I’ve been using my new Kronos without issue on my old laptop for a few weeks now (a 2009 MBP running El Capitan), using Logic as my DAW. I had the USB attaching to the MBP using a type A to type B USB connector.

I’ve just bought a new MBP (running Sierra 10.12.6). I attached it via USB using a USB-B to USB-c converter (of which I have 3, so the connector itself is not likely the problem). At first, when I tried to use the Kronos I got a completely distorted “fuzz” sound. I managed to get the Kronos working by manually swapping away from and back to the Kronos input driver in SYSTEM > AUDIO > INPUT and doing likewise in LOGIC > PREFERENCES > AUDIO and the correction worked for the rest of the day. This morning when I opened my laptop I had the same issue and resetting the drivers seems to have worked again, but I have no idea if this will always work or whether things will degrade.

If it’s an issue caused by the new USB interfaces I may consider sending the mac back.

If it’s a Sierra issue I guess a workaround would be to get an external audio interface? Hopefully that means I can record sounds from the Kronos as well as midi signals?

Thanks in advance.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure you'll find anyone with a MBP with usb-c that could confirm this, as I think they appeared last year at a similar time to the Sierra update, which has the audio sync problem. I stand corrected, but I'm not sure anyone has had El Capitan running on a usb-c vintage machine.

I have a 2017 MBP with usb-c I purchased earlier in the year, but of course have always had the audio sync problem with it. However, given the nature of the problem, I would think it unlikely that the usb-c would present any problem once the software side has been sorted out. I'm certainly counting on it.
TomasDemcak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue on my Macbook Pro mid 2012. I tried almost everything but after 5 minutes it will start distorting. It's interesting that Firewire card from M3 still works fine... I want to know, when this Kronos audio interface will work on Sierra...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio Glitches with new MBP. Could it be a USB-c issue? Reply with quote

Nwebb123 wrote:
Hello. I want to check if there are any known issues with the Kronos interfacing with USB-c while I’m still within the 30-day period and have the option to send my new MBP back! Having read the forums this looks more like an issue with Sierra, but I just want to double-check, just in case.

. I managed to get the Kronos working by manually swapping away from and back to the Kronos input driver in SYSTEM > AUDIO > INPUT and doing likewise in LOGIC > PREFERENCES > AUDIO and the correction worked for the rest of the day. This morning when I opened my laptop I had the same issue and resetting the drivers seems to have worked again, but I have no idea if this will always work or whether things will degrade.

If it’s an issue caused by the new USB interfaces I may consider sending the mac back.

If it’s a Sierra issue I guess a workaround would be to get an external audio interface? Hopefully that means I can record sounds from the Kronos as well as midi signals?

Thanks in advance.

its a known issue. Looks like you researched the forum and the problem is Sierra- Apple ' deprecated ' the audio on Sierra, back in Feb of this year.

I don't know about your workaround. It appears an audio interface is the only workaround. Korg understands the issue but there has been no update from them for some time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: