Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sq-1 not sending any midi data at all

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogdigi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: sq-1 not sending any midi data at all Reply with quote

hi.
bought a used Sq-1 and the CV section works great with my ms20. i cant seem to make it output midi notes from the midi output though. i tried to trigger my volca, my electribe, and most disappointingly my juno 106.

there's very little info in either manual about midi functionality but i did check that all devices were set to channel 1.

i can only assume that
1. there's something i'm missing
2. both 1/8 to midi cords i bought on ebay are dead
3. it's broken

help a dude out.

thanks,
roger

instagram.com/rogerpaulmason
LM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MIDI settings are covered under the Global section on the manual.

Are the MIDI adapters that you bought on ebay specified as compatible with the SQ-1? Unfortunately not all manufacturers follow the same standard when it comes to MIDI and 1/8" connections. I believe a similar cable from an Arturia Beatstep won't work with the SQ-1, for example.
Weirdofromouterspace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: sq-1 not sending any midi data at all Reply with quote

rogdigi wrote:
1. there's something i'm missing

LM wrote:
I believe a similar cable from an Arturia Beatstep won't work with the SQ-1, for example.

LM is right. There are indeed different wirings, and the MIDI adapters for the SQ-1 are definitely not compatible with the Beatstep (Pro).

This is how the SQ-1 adapter is wired (sorry for the poor image quality, it's just a quick pencil sketch I drew after having measured mine).

The tip and ring wiring is switched in other adapters. So just get your DVM with continuity checker and/or Ohm meter function out and check your adapters. You can convert a non-matching adapter by cutting the cable and resoldering the wires in the correct positions.
Kawai: K1
Roland: JX-03
DIY: MFOS Sound Lab Mini Synth Plus | MFOS Sound Lab Ultimate & Expander | MFOS 12-Band Vocoder | TTSH | Jasper | ARP 1601 Sequencer
van_hands

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey rogdigi. Did you figure out what was going wrong here? I am having a similar problem. I have the SQ-1 connected to my Volca Keys via the midi adapter. All I can do from the sq-1 is start and stop and change tempo. none of the step buttons or knobs are sending any data to the Volca keys. Both units are on the same midi channel.
Interested to know if you managed to figure out the problem?
Which volca are you connecting to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: