Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos LS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zippydog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: LS POV Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha Motif and wanted to add s second board.
I did a lot of reading and playing and landed on Kronos.
The Motif is a pig to move, so the LS had appeal for its svelt design and light weight. I also thought a lighter key bed would be a nice compliment to the Motif. I couldn’t find an LS to try locally, so I took a big leap of faith and ordered one. I loved the color and the sunburst end caps and hey...it was a kronos.

I played it a few hours the first night. I tried to like it. “You’ll get used to it” I said to myself. After a wrestless night, I was up again at 4 am trying to like the key bed. Just couldn’t get there and returned it the next day for the weighted Kronos 88.

Why? The key bed was fast and nimble. Organs and synth leads were amazing to play, but for me, the keys just felt wrong and cheesy. There is a springiness to the keys that nearly pushes your fingers up. For hammered sounds like piano and EP, It just felt as if I was controlling an amazing sound engine with a detached, lifeless MIDI controller. I could coax good dynamics from the keybed, but yet it felt disconnected somehow from the music I was playing.

Some may say I didn’t give the LS a chance. That I didn’t wait get used to it. That could be true, but I’ve played many instruments over many years and really believe that immediately connecting with an instrument is a “feel” thing and it’s either there for you or it’s not.

My strong advice is play an LS before you buy one or be darn sure you can return it if it’s not your vibe.

I couldn’t be happier with the weighted Kronos 2 88!
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: LS POV Reply with quote

Zippydog wrote:
I have a Yamaha Motif and wanted to add s second board.
I did a lot of reading and playing and landed on Kronos.
The Motif is a pig to move, so the LS had appeal for its svelt design and light weight. I also thought a lighter key bed would be a nice compliment to the Motif. I couldn’t find an LS to try locally, so I took a big leap of faith and ordered one. I loved the color and the sunburst end caps and hey...it was a kronos.

I played it a few hours the first night. I tried to like it. “You’ll get used to it” I said to myself. After a wrestless night, I was up again at 4 am trying to like the key bed. Just couldn’t get there and returned it the next day for the weighted Kronos 88.

Why? The key bed was fast and nimble. Organs and synth leads were amazing to play, but for me, the keys just felt wrong and cheesy. There is a springiness to the keys that nearly pushes your fingers up. For hammered sounds like piano and EP, It just felt as if I was controlling an amazing sound engine with a detached, lifeless MIDI controller. I could coax good dynamics from the keybed, but yet it felt disconnected somehow from the music I was playing.

Some may say I didn’t give the LS a chance. That I didn’t wait get used to it. That could be true, but I’ve played many instruments over many years and really believe that immediately connecting with an instrument is a “feel” thing and it’s either there for you or it’s not.

My strong advice is play an LS before you buy one or be darn sure you can return it if it’s not your vibe.

I couldn’t be happier with the weighted Kronos 2 88!

I second that you've have said it way better.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Rajt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys ,

Decided to go with korg Ls 88.
Checked with my local dealer, whether i can exchange kronos 2 if i don't like the kronos LS 88 , he said once the product sold i cannot exchange.
I don't know what will happen. Iam afraid whether i will get value for money or i will be dissappointed.

God only will save me.
Zippydog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rajt wrote:
Hi guys ,

Decided to go with korg Ls 88.
Checked with my local dealer, whether i can exchange kronos 2 if i don't like the kronos LS 88 , he said once the product sold i cannot exchange.
I don't know what will happen. Iam afraid whether i will get value for money or i will be dissappointed.

God only will save me.

Please post back here to let us know how it goes!
johneyjoe25

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude ,
All the best .

I was just watching YouTube videos of Korg Kronos 2 88 weighted action keys, few people were able to play the glissandos and fast music . So i suppose that i should go with kronos 2 88 instead of going for korg ls 88. Ofcourse that's my personal decision as of now.

Group members,
With practice i should be able to play some fast stuff on hammer action keys. But how about the keys response to fast music, ? Till now never tried a weighted action keyboard.
Hope u guys can comment on this
tomto66

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I can do ripping electric guitar solo's on my K88 weighted keyboard. But then again I have NEVER played on a waterfall keyboard in my life ... so I'm used to it. I do Hammond slides on the K88 as well (admittedly I don't play organ all that often) - it's doable but not especially comfortable. YMMV of course.
Perilous

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johneyjoe25 wrote:
I was just watching YouTube videos of Korg Kronos 2 88 weighted action keys, few people were able to play the glissandos and fast music . So i suppose that i should go with kronos 2 88 instead of going for korg ls 88. Ofcourse that's my personal decision as of now.

Group members,
With practice i should be able to play some fast stuff on hammer action keys. But how about the keys response to fast music, ? Till now never tried a weighted action keyboard.
Hope u guys can comment on this

Yes, you can play very natural and quick glissando. No problems with fast music or response. I wasn't able to go fast at all on a Casio Priva PX-5S which has Tri-Sensor Scaled Hammer Action, so it depends on your strength, technique, energy and what you're used to. I've a bad recording on youtube of playing as fast as I can on the Kronos. It's bad, but maybe helpful in a small way: https://youtu.be/PN21DLJsoCw
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johneyjoe25 wrote:
With practice i should be able to play some fast stuff on hammer action keys. But how about the keys response to fast music, ?

Yes, but it will take a LOT of practice. Rick Wakeman plays mostly weighted 88 keyboards, but he started almost 60 years ago and has developed the finger strength/technique.

Playing quickly is easy; playing quickly WELL take a lot of practice.

..Joe
johneyjoe25

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you dude.

Basis on this , i think i should go with Kronos LS 88. That should be a safe bet.

What do you say ? Would u like advise anything if i wanna go with Kronos LS 88.
johneyjoe25

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi joe awaiting for your reply.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what it sounds like, the LS will be great for you if you don't like (or can do without) the feel of weighted keys or if you don't value aftertouch control. If either of these are important to you, you really should reconsider the Kronos 2 88 with RH3. It makes no sense to me why thy didn't just put in an 88-key semiweighted keyboard.
johneyjoe25

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks .
Its pretty clear now.

Any one has any idea , about NAMM 2018. Will Korg release any new upgrade of Kronos or any new workstation.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="johneyjoe25"]Thanks .
Its pretty clear now.

Any one has any idea , about NAMM 2018. Will Korg release any new upgrade of Kronos or any new workstation.[/quote]

Nothing yet. But let's hope.
Zippydog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomto66 wrote:
FWIW I can do ripping electric guitar solo's on my K88 weighted keyboard. But then again I have NEVER played on a waterfall keyboard in my life ... so I'm used to it. I do Hammond slides on the K88 as well (admittedly I don't play organ all that often) - it's doable but not especially comfortable. YMMV of course.

My trick for playing Hammond/B3 glissandos on weighted keys is to play them with my palm at the base of my thumb. No pain and nice, fast and smooth results. YMMV
Professor Clud

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: The key feel of the Kronos LS Reply with quote

Concerning the ever present question about the key bed feel of the Kronos LS, I may be able to shed some light on the issue since I've just had mine for a little over a week. First my assessment then I'll copy/paste the review I posted on the Sweetwater site reviewing the LS. I've asked on this forum similar questions before I bought mine and mentioned that I have all of the types of key beds to compare with. For me the LS is great, so smooth to play. From the lightest to the heaviest that I own, Kross61...very light weight, the M3....semi-weighted as most others, slight resistance to play,
like pressing levers, then comes the Kronos LS... semi-weighted with push back resistance, more weight feel than the M3, The LS feels between the M3 and the older SV-1 with RH3 keys, then 4th come my SV-1 with RH3, definite heavier feel and lastly a Yamaha with piano weighted keys I use for strength building. So the LS having piano sized keys which push up on your fingers, the keys stay with your fingers giving the sense of a real piano but no effort needed to press back. My heavier weights have a bounce when keys are let go, the LS has almost no bounce when let go.
Hope this can answer some of the questions. I'll now post my review if this blog will allow me the space. Thanks everyone.

Kronos LS-88
I've had mine for about a week now and it's time for a review. Everyone knows of the quality of build, the superb sounds and in the case of the LS, the elegant wood sides and brown body color. But what I want to focus on has been a continuous question about the keys. How are the keys. I own multiple Korgs with all the different keys feel types. RH3, semi-weighted and a light weight key. With those 3 types, as well as a piano weighted Yamaha, I have the choice of all the weights of keyboard feel. I researched due to all the comments on the LS. The LS is in one word, fabulous and I am so glad I got it. Korg has a home run with this one. Piano sized keys with a semi-weighted feel. Not like my M3 semi-weighted keys which are like levers. Most SW keys I've played are like pressing on a lever. Not the LS, it has full sized piano keys, easy to play and to rip out lead lines. There is enough weight to play good piano and light enough for synth and organ leads. I'm not classically trained so I don't have to have heavy weighted keys. Have not been a keyboard player for too long. So if you're like me this keyboard would be perfect fit. Kudos to KORG.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: