Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just how good the RH3 action for piano purist?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hag01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Just how good the RH3 action for piano purist? Reply with quote

My first priority is to get a keyboard with the most realistic simulatation of acoustic piano action.

Then to get a gigging board with many features.

About 50% of the time I play classical music with traditional piano technique.

Korg Kronos has insane mass of features, this is great and I'm sure it's lots of fun and very useful in many gigs.
But all this is worthless if I don't have something to play Bach and Chopin silent at nights with headphones.

I see now two options:
1. Buying now a high end Kawai, and after that maybe some day to buy a Kronos.
2. Buying Kronos now and not buying Kawai.

The question is whether the Kronos action is comrable to Kawai wooden actions, for piano purist who want to play classical piano with traditional piano technique on a digital instrument.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to try and find a KRONOS K2 88 and try it. If as you say you’re a “purist “ then would a synth workstation really work for you?

I have the RH3 key bed on my board and like it. I also have a baby grand. Comparing the 2 it’s like night and day for me. The baby grand is actually much lighter than the KRONOS in terms of velocity etc. Granted my piano is not a high end Kawai but it’s still pretty nice.

I see this as one of those things as being a personal judgement and preference. I would never buy a car without driving it first. It’s about 3600.00 to buy a KRONOS so not a cheap investment. On the other hand neither is a KAWAI.

So hopefully you’ll find someone that has one, or somewhere to try it out. Only you know what is right for you.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Kronos-2 last fall after testing all available top digital models (synths & DPs) from other brands. I had no bias towards Korg or any other brand, so took my decision after testing the keyboards in shops. I ended up choosing the RH3 because I really like it.

I mainly play piano classical répertoire on it (I'd say 75% of the time) and also of course enjoy using the myriads of other sounds offered. Even though different from my acoustic grand piano, I really like the feel of the RH3, even though it uses only two sensors per key. In fact, I do not believe in most purely theoretical specs commonly advertised as superior by many DP manufacturers. The best way to figure out if you like the RH3 is to try it extensively. Using a custom velocity map on my Kronos, I have no problem reproducing all dynamic nuances required in advanced répertoire on it, including fast trills, very quick repetitive notes, etc.

If you go ahead with a Kronos 2, you will also have to buy the Korg DS-1H pedal though for half-damper switching. The on-board Berlin grand (with Bechstein samples) is IMHO the best one and uses a different set of samples for una corda.

Of course, no DP responds nor feel exactly like a grand, and the Kronos is no exception. But it is an incredible machine for any sound, including grand piano. Also, there are many parameters you can modify in the SGX-2 engine to fit the piano sounds vs keyboard touch.
hag01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think I should try the Kronos to get a wise decision, unfortunately I don't have anywhere to test it.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how good the RH3 action for piano purist? Reply with quote

hag01 wrote:
My first priority is to get a keyboard with the most realistic simulatation of acoustic piano action.

Then to get a gigging board with many features.

About 50% of the time I play classical music with traditional piano technique.

Korg Kronos has insane mass of features, this is great and I'm sure it's lots of fun and very useful in many gigs.
But all this is worthless if I don't have something to play Bach and Chopin silent at nights with headphones.

I see now two options:
1. Buying now a high end Kawai, and after that maybe some day to buy a Kronos.
2. Buying Kronos now and not buying Kawai.

The question is whether the Kronos action is comrable to Kawai wooden actions, for piano purist who want to play classical piano with traditional piano technique on a digital instrument.

I think its up to you- whether or not you want to ' adapt ' to the RH3.

Its not realistic IMO to expect the RH3 to be a perfect replacement for whatever acoustic piano you have trained on, spent many years playing.

I also suggest waiting for Dec/Jan to see if Korg has anything grandiose to announce and promote.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RH3 may seem a little "sluggish" when compared directly to a real acoustic piano, but it is possible to adapt to the feel of the keys.

Another option might be to get a Kronos K2 61, which is considerably more portable than the 88 key version, together with an 88-key piano action MIDI keyboard, such as the Roland A-88, and use that to trigger the Kronos' piano sounds. Take a look at Cory Henry playing Spectrasonics Keyscape with one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa1KR1weoFc

Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos doesn't get shown off in every music store because of it's high price tag, but you could also try another Korg keyboard with the RH3 keybed such as:

M3 88
M50 88
SV1
Any of Korg's LP-series digital Pianos
GrandStage

You may not get the authentic Kronos experience, but it would help you make a decision based on the feel.

I'm sure there are others. The 88-key versions Krome, Kross, and a number of Korg's digital pianos use something called an "NH (Natural Hammer)" action. I have no idea how this compares, but hoping someone will offer some input on the subject.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played on a variety of wood based acoustic pianos and it can be night and day from one wooden piano to the next. Different makes of acoustic painos are more often different in key feel, to an extent greater than between many different digital pianos.
Still no purist substitute for feeling the actual hammers like RH3 tries to simulate. RH3 is rather heavy for a digital but very smooth.

I was playing acoustic when i got my first Korg.88 workstation and i liked it better than my cheap acoustic piano. I decided it was better to have a keybed that stays the same through the years and weather changes. My playing got conditioned to Korg 88 keys and i never looked back.

Of course you are asking about the electric Kawai 88 key action. It is not that much better than kronos when i factor in all the adjustments you can do to kronos sound and touch sense response as well as so many features.

https://youtu.be/v-yO6caa1z0

Piano man chuck does the key feel comparisons you are looking for.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIANO MAN CHUCK does the comparisons you want.

https://youtu.be/v-yO6caa1z0

This video below has him showing the actual Kawaii key mechanism which is the closest you will get to a real grand piano.

https://youtu.be/mjHfKmwIMm8

I don't like the wood used in Kawaii keys as i have had issues with woode keys over time, losing consistency due to warp during weather changes. I just don't trust wooden keys anymore. Ignore my opinion on that if you would have Kawaii stationary in a well controlled atmosphere.

I conditioned my fingers/playing to Korg 88 action and never looked back.
RH3 is a heavier action than most. Kronos has so much adjustment to sound and touch response in addition to all the features. RH3 is just the surface. Kawaii would have to be a good midi controller over DAW synths to make it worth it. Kawaii plus all the best virtual piano plugins with 16 velocity points to outdo kronos' SGX pianos.
lonelagranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Kronos x and Roland A88 controller driving a iMac with Synthogy's Ivory Piano. The Kronos is certainly acceptable and I play classical music on it with no problem. I think the pianos sound good. The Roland A88 and Ivory is definitely a step up. The A88 is a wonderful controller. It responds from the lightest touch to the heaviest. Playing Ivory with the A88 is the closet I have come to a acoustic piano, and I have played a number of 9ft concert grands. However, this is just my opinion. The piano and how it sounds and feels is such a personal preference that you almost have to try them out for yourself. Wishing you the best of luck in your search. Half the fun is window shopping.
Perilous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonelagranger wrote:
The A88 is a wonderful controller. It responds from the lightest touch to the heaviest. Playing Ivory with the A88 is the closet I have come to a acoustic piano, and I have played a number of 9ft concert grands. However, this is just my opinion. The piano and how it sounds and feels is such a personal preference that you almost have to try them out for yourself.

The A88 did have great response and very useful velocity settings, but I found pressing the keys down took more effort than I'd like. Also it seemed to take much more time for the key to return back up to its normal position--longer than I'm used to, anyway. Felt sluggish at first, nearly won me over the more I played with it. In the end, I'm much happier with RH3 or Kawai action.
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to leave my 2 cents...

I have a Kronos 2 88, and I'm coming from a Kawai MP7 keyboard. The difference between the two key actions is noticeable. The MP7 feels more like a real piano, while the Kronos action feels more light and easier to play. For example, it was really difficult for me to play organ sounds on the MP7.

I think it all depends on your capacity as a pianist --I have not much use for the escapement capabilities of the MP7 keybed. So I'm happier with my Kronos Wink
wma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if somebody tried both kronos 88 & roland rd-2000 please tell me how the key-action differs .. few hours ago i've tried the rd-2000 'turned off' loved the quality and the feel and the weight of the action and there was the fa-08 & juno-ds88 above it 'all turned off' and compared them and easily could notice the difference with the rd-2000 - i loved it's key-action very much over any othe tried other than it .. but uptill now a had no chance to play to touch any korg hardware - i'd like to know howthe korg's RH3 differs than the roland's pha-50

i also after the rd-2000 tried a real grand piano 'samick'- the keys are heavy - but the key return is ok but its keys are heavier than roland's keys
and then tried an upright piano - did't know what make it is - it's keys are abit heaver than the real grand but the return was slow which i didn't like

i preffered that action of rd-2000 although on the side of piano sounds i liked the pianos on the nord over any other keyboard

i'm not buy at the time any keyboard, waiting for korg next releases maybe - i just wonder about the korg's RH3 how it is
billysynth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry haven’t read all the posts, but, I can tell you what I think of RH3 verses Roland 2000 from a classical pianist perspective. The Roland is superior by far.

If you play Mozart Sonatas or Bach preludes you can play this style of music reasonably well on the Kronos, playing Chopin, Debussy, Rachmaninof, Prokofiev is impossible on the Kronos, the 88 RH3 keybed action will not in any manner way shape or form respond to the technical complexities of this type of music. Although I must admit I can play Rachmaninof C sharp min op 3 no2 prelude on the RH3 without experiencing keybed action inconsistencies, however, the RH3 cannot take the pounding of Rach Etude E flat min op39 no5, these pieces can be played without response and sustain pedal imperfections on the Roland’s I mention below.

The Roland V Piano, and Roland V Grand Piano, along with the R2000 keybed handle this complex music with far greater and superior response. I have played all three Roland’s and you can see others on the net playing complex classical piano pieces on the V Grand in particular.

If you’re playing at the level of, say, Jordan Rudess, or Derek Sherinian, then you shouldn’t have too much problems on the RH3. Sustain pedal usage also plays a significant part along with the keybed, a lot more sustain is required with the RH3 to ‘clean out’ the sound.

I only use the Kronos 88 RH3 as my left hand keyboard for complex left hand patterns while improvising, my right hand is on other keyboards, with only one hand at a time on the Kronos the keybed responds ok.

Regards
Billy
wma

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you sir / billysynth, your response was really helpful, would be amasing if roland make a midi controller as the a88 but with their pha-50 keybed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: