Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just how good the RH3 action for piano purist?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vp412

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: RH3 action difference between K1/KX vs K2 Reply with quote

Does somebody aware about RH3 action change in K2 ? It looks like sensors were moved UP in K2 comparing with K1/KX (I am talking only about 73/88 keys keyboards with RH3).
Moving sensors up means that when somebody try accelerating/slowing key near the "bottom" - results will NOT be the same in K1/KX and in K2. Since sensors placement is lower on K1/KX - this older version of RH3 will respond better on the above slight change in key movement near "bottom", some how approaching to acoustic piano action. In new RH3 velocity measurement will be done near middle position of the key, no reaction to the movement variation near bottom.
It may mean that those who want better similarity with acoustic should try to find second hand Kronos/KronosX instead of buying new Kronos2. Probably Korg did this modification to solve "sound cut-off" problem, but price of this "solution" was moving away from better similarity with acoustic action...
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth wrote:
...playing Chopin, Debussy, Rachmaninof, Prokofiev is impossible on the Kronos, the 88 RH3 keybed action will not in any manner way shape or form respond to the technical complexities of this type of music.

Totally not true from my personal experience. I mainly play classical répertoire and before I ended up choosing a Kronos 2, I actually took my time playing advanced complex pieces for hours on top models of all brands before ending up preferring the RH3. I also enjoy the RH3 to play organ and synths parts without problem, including fast and complex pieces from Emerson, Moraz, etc. I have a grand piano and used to own Hammond organs and other "vintage" gear so I know how the real instruments feel and respond.

So as it is always the case for liking a keyboard/piano or not, different people, different preferences. What is impossible or not enjoyable for someone is very likely to be different for others. As I previously mentioned, the RH3 is not a real piano action but can do an excellent job.

There are many parameters you can adjust on the Kronos to adjust how the pianos (or any other instrument) will sound controlling them with its keyboard. Just selecting a different acoustic piano sample set implies a different approach on the keys, exactly like no acoustic piano feels the same under the fingers. Concert pianists adapt to this all the time as they have no choice but to use what is available at gigs. There is also the possibility to create your own velocity maps if none of the preset ones are satisfying for one's needs.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
There is also the possibility to create your own velocity maps if none of the preset ones are satisfying for one's needs.

You can't really create a custom velocity map for the Kronos SGX-2 pianos, but there are parameters that can be modified to adjust volume and tonal response to velocity, which can go a long way towards making the Kronos pianos "feel right" to each player...but there isn't anything like the fully-definable velocity maps / curves that the Alesis Fusion had, for example...

Like everybody says, piano keyboard touch / feel / response / etc. is very much an individual preference...but still, I'm amazed when I read something like billysynth's posting above - I sure don't have that kind of sensitivity to keyboard response...

df
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
You can't really create a custom velocity map for the Kronos SGX-2 pianos

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=109628&sid=bcd902a2109317e87f53ddb08222256b
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
dfahrner wrote:
You can't really create a custom velocity map for the Kronos SGX-2 pianos

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=109628&sid=bcd902a2109317e87f53ddb08222256b

Of course, you can do just about anything you want if you use external MIDI processing..I was thinking about built-in Kronos features, since most of us probably don't want to always need some external device (especially not another computer!) between the Kronos keyboard and tone generator...but again, editing SGX-2 parameters (velocity bias and intensity, and the global velocity curve, and maybe dynamics effects) can make a big difference in keyboard feel and response...

df
Grambambuli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportuniy to play a Steinway D in the studio this weekend, what a wonderful instrument. What I noticed is that the RH3 does a very good job and comes pretty close. Of course you cannot imitate a 140k$ instrument perfectly, but playing with the real thing even made me appreciate more what a good job the Kronos does, both keybed- and soundwise.
entonio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: RH3 action difference between K1/KX vs K2 Reply with quote

vp412 wrote:
Does somebody aware about RH3 action change in K2 ? It looks like sensors were moved UP in K2 comparing with K1/KX (I am talking only about 73/88 keys keyboards with RH3).
Moving sensors up means that when somebody try accelerating/slowing key near the "bottom" - results will NOT be the same in K1/KX and in K2. Since sensors placement is lower on K1/KX - this older version of RH3 will respond better on the above slight change in key movement near "bottom", some how approaching to acoustic piano action. In new RH3 velocity measurement will be done near middle position of the key, no reaction to the movement variation near bottom.
It may mean that those who want better similarity with acoustic should try to find second hand Kronos/KronosX instead of buying new Kronos2. Probably Korg did this modification to solve "sound cut-off" problem, but price of this "solution" was moving away from better similarity with acoustic action...

Does anyone else have any input on this?
IAA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RH3 action is very good and unless you are just doing serious classical work I’d not worry about it. Though you really need to try it yourself given keyboard action is very subjective. I tried Yamaha and Roland hammer actions but the RH3 for me was the best. I’m a pianist by training and play a Yamaha grand but I really like the RH3 action on my Kronos X.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: RH3 action difference between K1/KX vs K2 Reply with quote

entonio wrote:
vp412 wrote:

Does anyone else have any input on this?

About the quoted attempt to explain how the RH3 apparently responded better before, it's actually the opposite. With shorter contacts, note offs could be sent earlier when releasing keys (and thus undesired new note ons as well) and that was what happened in a small batch of the earlier RH3 keybeds in older Kronos. Later, contacts were not moved up but simply replaced by another type to avoid this. Velocity control in the Kronos has a lot more to do with the internal software in charge of the maps and mainly, the pianist/player. Another fact is that no digital keyboard/piano including the latest from any brand can respond exactly like an acoustic piano, period. Simply try/test/play the Kronos and other instruments and figure out what is the best for you.

I practice classical piano all the time on my K2 and I have no problem rendering pieces as needed, doing fast repeats, etc. Here's one example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieRwcS_mlJI
Kilroy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about getting “the most realistic simulation of an acoustic piano” is that there isn’t any standard feel to compare to. Pianos action changes over time depending on how it’s been played, how it’s been cared for, and maybe even temperature and humidity. Not to mention the brand of the piano and other factors. I’ve played grands on which most of the resistance comes about halfway down and then goes away for the rest of the travel, and some on which it’s very smooth and consistent all the way through the strike. I have a Yamaha C3 and all I can say about the action is that I like it because I’ve gotten used to it, and maybe it’s gotten used to me.

If you buy a korg hammer action you may find that you someday play an acoustic piano that you like more and you may find some that you like less. The thing to do as suggested above, is to play the hell out of one for quite a few hours. Do your fingers feel more fatigued than you’re used to? Is it comfortable for you? Do you like how the strike feels? And can you express yourself as you are accustomed to?

The vexxing thing for me on the Kronos is the velocity curves. Somewhere between four and five is the right curve for me, but of course I can’t choose somewhere between. I just have to get used to it which is what you have to do with any action that you buy acoustic or otherwise. And it really feels different when I’m playing the East West gold pianos which have a different kind of response.

Anyway, I’m not a technician or an expert, but I have played several hundred grand pianos for many, many thousands of hours of my life.
Hector Space

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a pianist with more than 40years live work under my belt, on many of the best (and worst!) instruments out there, here’s my view:
The best stage piano/workstation keybeds for piano currently out there are
1. Roland’s PHA50 (as on RD2000)
2. Kawai's GF2 (as on MP11se),
3. Kawai’s RHIII (as on MP7SE, ES8, ES920 and Nord’s GrandStage)
4. Yamaha’s NWX ( P515)
5. Casio Privia PX5s
Korg’s RH3 (various versions of) come below these for real piano action simulation. In fact in my opinion the RH3 is only marginally better for piano than your typical FATAR TP40.

The big issue is in the precision of control affordable from the keybed. With the PHA50 you really do feel like you are totally connected to the instrument. On a TP40 it’s kind of rubbery and imprecise. This might be fine for EP but in no way does it compete with the above or indeed the real thing.

Playing the piano for me is an emotional thing.. it is about being about to convey feeling through your fingers, to be able to extract the full range of timbres and sonic beauty exactly as you command it.

Often in a loud band situation such subtly is wasted. Similarly some styles of music like Bach don’t require it. So that’s why Nord and Kurzweil can get away with only offering the average TP40.

Doesn’t suit me, I’ve spent the last 40years learning to convey the most from my fingers so I bought a K2 61 and play the pianos from either my RD2000 or my PX5S (which is the best lightweight 88 note controller for live band work there is).
Hector Space

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem with the Kronos's AP performance is down to the editing facilities provided by the SGX2 engine. On Kawai, Roland, Kurzweil and even some Yamaha’s you have the facility to edit individual notes for pitch, tone and volume. This provides the user with a chance to correct to their taste many of the issues people have with the pianos on the Kronos.

In addition on the Kurzweil Forte you can actually swap out samples. So for example if you cannot get a note to sound how you want you can actually dump it's sample and either stretch the one adjacent (normally the most effective solution) or load in your own.

The SGX2 engine also fails to provide detailed adjustment of velocity. The current two adjustment controls are a real compromise compared to the facilities you get with something like Pianotec. For such a good quality of play back the SGX2 engine should provide curve editing and offset for at least 3 zones across the keybed.

Finally the engine should do some real time interpolation between samples. As done on Kawai instruments to great effect. Ok for single note purists it may be blasphemy but to anyone who actually plays for subtlety what you want is continuous variation between ppp and fff not steps. This is something that the Roland Vpiano does beautifully along with the very realistic merging of multiple notes, something that simple playback struggles with. Korg has a lot to do!

I think the lack of in-depth customisation facilities with SGX2 make the pianos using HD1 a better option. You can change the velocity switch points and layer volumes etc! But you still can’t edit the multi samples grrr! The KApro German grands that use HD1 are much more adjustable and so provide a very good alternative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: