Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Note number for pad assign.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Note number for pad assign. Reply with quote

I just ordered my wish-list midi device and have been studying up on what i am on for midi-wise.
It is a 20 velocity pad midi drum machine. Dr.880

I already know how to go about making specially mapped kronos drum kits to match the Drum machine kit mapping used for its preset patterns.
That way i can use the drum machine to drive kronos kits and put its midi data to kronos user drum patterns. Make the patterns on the drum machine and store them in kronos as user patterns.

The drum machine has 20 pads and they are listed in midi note numbers instead of midi #CC. Kronos pads list as note number or midi CC numbers.
I looked up kronos Pad feature and see that i can set midi note numbers to match the pad note number of the drum machine so i can use it as a pad controller for kronos pads.
The drum machine does not allow me to change the note numbers on its pads and it has 3 banks of 20 pads. 3 banks of 20 pads allows some flexibility but not enough if the note numbers are fixed to each pad in each pad bank.
Looks like kronos keybed note map is also fixed because i cannot find where to change it. Kronos allows midi CC# mapping for pads but my drum machines does not as far as i have searched (Boss Dr.880).

All this means that i think i will be running into issues where kronos will assign note numbers to pads that my drum machine can work with, but the midi notes assigned to kronos pads will be disabled from regular kronos program play use. The notes i can assign to kronos pads are fixed in my drum machine so they will end up dictating totally what notes will be disabled or not along kronos keys. I may have some flexbility between three pad banks but still it only allows me midi note numbers 35 to 97.

I guess note numbers 35-97 probably fall somewhere in Kronos note playing sweet spot and will put a dent in my playing if i use it as Pad controller... ?

I think i know how to make the drum pattern aspect of it work well for me, which is exactly why i got it.
But now that i see that it can also work as a pad controller for kronos pads, i am wondering if anyone can fill me in on what to expect with a controller that has 3 banks of 20 pads. I can use 20 at a time(kronos only needs 8)but each bank of 20 has a fixed note number to each pad. No changing Pad note number or CC number from the drum machine.
Also the note mapping across the pads seem to be mapped in an areangement more for fret board scales(it is also an arranger with bass accompaniment) rather than key board scales.
So i have all pads in all 3 banks, using note numbers 35-97 with 43 ,48 and 88 left out.
Am i right to asume this kind of arrangement is going to pock holes on my kronos key board if i use it as a pad controller?
Note numbered pads to simulate bass fret notes, don't mesh with keyboard note number layout.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
I already know getting a nano pad to daisy chain will take care of the problem, but i am womdering if there is another way to make the drum machine work around the note number issue.

Thanks.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll notice on the Pads page of a combi or program that next to the number of the pad you can select which MIDI channel to use. You can change this for each combi/program, but I would make it your personal standard operating procedure to reserve MIDI channel 10 to be controlled by your drum machine.

You can still play your keyboard notes on all other channels normally.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
You'll notice on the Pads page of a combi or program that next to the number of the pad you can select which MIDI channel to use. You can change this for each combi/program, but I would make it your personal standard operating procedure to reserve MIDI channel 10 to be controlled by your drum machine.

You can still play your keyboard notes on all other channels normally.

So i read in the kronos manual that when i set up pads in global mode to respond to certain note numbers from my midi drum pads, it all works off of global channel.
Combi timbres also work on only global channel when set with kronos internal program sounds. I will also look into Karma for a midi channel, and note mapping work around.

The drum machine itself has the drum section set to channel 10 just like kronos drum track and yes i will stick to that standard. Drum machine has a bass section also -set to a different midi channel. I may use that with karma if i can get karma note mapping to work it out.

I will keep in mind what you said about combi mode pad midi channel settings.
Will Experiment with that when i get back to Kronos. Soon. Half my problem is i am away from kronos trying to sort it all out by what i can dig out of both user manuals.

Good thing the drum machine only has one book, the user manual and it is hardly 150 pages total, including blank pages and preface. Kronos parameter guide has conditioned me well and that makes the drum machine guide easy.
Will probably cover the whole DM user manual on the flight back to where my kronos waits.
Thanks.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears Kronos has on the global midi page, a pad setup for external. Allows midi channel assign for each pad. I have to plug in and find out if external set up means the kronos on screen pads control an external device or if an external device will control the kronos screen pads. Or boths.

I found combi mode midi channel settings for each pad. Had to disable pad play to access settings for the pads.

Still waiting for my drum machine to arrive.
I got an iPad drum machine to try out but not having luck getting the iPad drum machine app to play kronos or even kronos keys to play the drum machine app. Not confident to buy the full version app if i am not sure it works well for midi. Garage band and Krog gadget are working just fine over midi, so i know it is the drum machine app having issues with midi connection. I even entered the app midi page and tried every channel setting for response.
I have a lot of work ahead tryong things out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: