Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help sending midi prog change to mixer in sequencer mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulmellors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Help sending midi prog change to mixer in sequencer mode Reply with quote

Hi

I am putting my 1st live show together on Kronos 2 and would like to insert midi program change information through a song. I need to use prg numbers to control the scenes on a X32 desk.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Paul
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

I haven't exactly done what you are asking, but I do know it is possible. The Kronos can send MIDI bank/program change commands (virtually any MIDI enabled device can do this). I have an XR18, and I know it is capable of receiving MIDI commands like the XR32.

I'd recommend connecting your Kronos with a MIDI cable to the XR32. Make sure in GLOBAL mode that bank/program send is enabled. Then just switch programs or combis or set lists on the Kronos, and the XR32 should respond to scene changes.

Once you have established that the Kronos and XR32 are successfully communicating, then the next step would be working with the sequencer to start automating the process. There are many on the forum here experienced with the sequencer if you have further Kronos-specific questions.

Also check out the pretty active and knowledgeable Behringer forum:
https://forum.music-group.com/forumdisplay.php?118-X32-Family
paulmellors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks psionic,

My previous workflow was to run tracks and automation from Ableton live but i'm hoping to get the kronos to take up that role.

I'm happy with the X32 end of things its puzzling out the Kronos:-) Thanks the tips I'll hook up the X32 today and try to get them talking.

Paul
adamburgess

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a normal MIDI cable connected from my Kronos to an X32 Rack a couple of years ago. Used the faders etc as a back up to the wireless iPad. Also used a footswitch via the Kronos' pads to mute FX etc. Worked great. Just took a bit work on the Control Surface and EXT settings. Once I established a channel, was all good.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While recording in midi sequencer, any program changes you make will be part of the recording. Those changes will be part of the playback and will come in and out where you inserted them. You may even be able to edit them to move, remove or add-to via track edit feature.

If you go into Pattern RPPR feature of sequencer, you can assign midi track lengths to patterns which get assigned to keys as you please. Those keys will run or stop the midi track run and that includes your included program changes or more. RPPR uses up midi channels and disables the bottom octave of kronos and that can be a waste of space if you need the tracks and keys for other things. Also RPPR pattern/midi-data lengths are limited but are long enough for a normal length song. At least 64 measures. "Set pattern length" feature will tell you for sure.

The Space saving way would be to make a midi track where you record in all your changes through the entire run of the song/performance and then run the song tracks to keep up with in your real time performance.
It ends up being the same as automation. Overdub mode while recording is a helpful way to go for inserting the type of changes you need. You can go over the song as many times as needed to insert parts and pieces on top.
Edit track can remove parts.
If you need just the program change data for another device and not an actual kronos internal program sound to come in at a given time, you can use an isolated track, perhaps muted track but at least a track set to an isolated midi channel for output to external device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: