Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any rumblings of a new Kronos replacement at NAMM...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Any rumblings of a new Kronos replacement at NAMM...? Reply with quote

Any rumblings of a new Kronos replacement at the upcoming NAMM...?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not even a decent rumor...
@bay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed that gc has been clearing out it’s Kronos store inventories in NY & LA. Hoping that’s a good sign...
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only rumor so far...

There will be a new product
The name is 8 letters long
And starts with a P

Most people assume that this rumor is aboput a polyphonic analogue synth

But what reason is there to upgrade the Kronos..
It still has no competitiuon in the high end workstation market

And the only thing i could think off that really could use some improvement, is the addition of limitless encoders and drumpads, so i can get rid of the nanopad.. and add a modern slightly bigger touchscreen to that

And offcourse there is a huge plethora of wishes.. like the interface(screen part) is really getting dated, and the still missing piano roll editor.. but those things could be added as software patches to the Kronos

I dont see any reason for Korg to upgrade the Kronos, a new Montage is atleast 2 years away.. and Roland and Kurzweil have left the high end workstation market.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
The only rumor so far...

And the only thing i could think off that really could use some improvement, is the addition of limitless encoders and drumpads, so i can get rid of the nanopad.. and add a modern slightly bigger touchscreen to that

And offcourse there is a huge plethora of wishes.. like the interface(screen part) is really getting dated, and the still missing piano roll editor.. but those things could be added as software patches to the Kronos

I dont see any reason for Korg to upgrade the Kronos, a new Montage is atleast 2 years away.. and Roland and Kurzweil have left the high end workstation market.

Many of the more important improvements should have been done long ago. Being a realist, since they did not happen, they are very unlikely to happen on a +6 yr old W/s which has strong roots to a 12 yr old W/s.

Waiting for + 18 years for certain improvements on Kronos which are not ground breaking any more.

I like the Nanopad on my 88. To me, that was the right move. Sure I would like more pads. But not a big clunky 24 pad Nano built into the chassis.

I am bothered paying $3000 for old tech in a W/s in 2018. If Korg does nothing,
it might be time to get off the old platform. While we love our Kronos, it has a list of limitations effecting practical creating/work flow. I multi track heavily so that is my context. If I played in a cover band, I might not be as picky about the limitations.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to do something soon I guess, not necessarily to fend off the competition but to set themselves up for the future.

They could easily up the cpu power by at least a factor of 2 now with the new low power intel chips, less power usage and temp as well so get rid of the fan, better touch screen, a few software changes here and there and the jobs done.

I can't believe they have been doing nothing in the years since the Kronos release.

Last edited by BobTheDog on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
They need to do something soon I guess, not necasarily to fend off the competition but to set themselves up for the future.

They could easily up the cpu power by at least a factor of 2 now with the new low power intel chips, less power usage and temp as well so get rid of the fan, better touch screen, a few software changes here and there and the jobs done.

I can't believe they have been doing nothing in the years since the Kronos release.

Definitely needed. f they redesign the UI ( vs a few tweaks) I think that is a priority.

Hardware upgrades are relatively simple to execute- a software re-write becomes complex.

A major re-write would be a new grand machine.
1-2 yrs to produce.

tweaks and better hardware
1 year or less to produce. This would be a Kronos 3, IMO.

Should be interesting what happens. A good chance nothing/little will change.
( 1 chance in 3 is my guess).
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is with the new intel chips you wouldn't need much of a rewrite of the existing code as long as they had a bit of sense when they wrote the original code, if they didn't and they can't scale easily to double the cores then maybe that is a different scenario but then a get out of jail would maybe be just to have two "Kronos" running in the new one side by side. Still I guess a fair bit of work but they need to do something.

Real upgrades to the engines or extra engines would take a bit of time but looking at the frequency they are knocking out iOS stuff I guess it is not past their ability. I guess the real question is how many development staff they have for the Kronos compared to iOS.

I'm guessing if they knocked out a machine with double the power, a better screen and a couple of new engines and some basic improvements quite a few of us would upgrade.

I agree though, maybe nothing changing soon.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
The thing is with the new intel chips you wouldn't need much of a rewrite of the existing code as long as they had a bit of sense when they wrote the original code, if they didn't and they can't scale easily to double the cores then maybe that is a different scenario but then a get out of jail would maybe be just to have two "Kronos" running in the new one side by side. Still I guess a fair bit of work but they need to do something.

Real upgrades to the engines or extra engines would take a bit of time but looking at the frequency they are knocking out iOS stuff I guess it is not past their ability. I guess the real question is how many development staff they have for the Kronos compared to iOS.

I'm guessing if they knocked out a machine with double the power, a better screen and a couple of new engines and some basic improvements quite a few of us would upgrade.

I agree though, maybe nothing changing soon.

I have a software bias. I think, develop the OS and sound programming(more engines) and UI and blow us off the planet with that talent and skill. Then insert the coordinated hardware and controls to support it.

I also agree how they direct their programming staff is key. The president might be more into IOS, other products and not interested in us codgers who want a new W/s.

I am a 6 yr owner and would welcome a K3 or whatever dream W/s by January.
I would prefer some inkling by Dec for my planning purposes. So far, its crickets.

Another poster was speculating on what Guitar Center does. GC is not any arbiter of a model change based on their internal clearance goals. I am not even sure they do much Kronos volume.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very rarely get into these speculative discussions but as far as I can guess, Korg has no reason to come up with a new workstation for the immediate future.
Think about it. Why do they need too? They've already got the market cornered. What else is there that can realistically compare with the Kronos?
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I very rarely get into these speculative discussions but as far as I can guess, Korg has no reason to come up with a new workstation for the immediate future.
Think about it. Why do they need too? They've already got the market cornered. What else is there that can realistically compare with the Kronos?

Hard to say what sales of Kronos are the past few months.

If they are declining they should not sit on their hands.

Business is typically a numbers game. They have the #'s and understand them.
TomasDemcak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that all will be good, if they make some sofrware improvements in Kronos. They could make better look for UI. For example make AL-1 engine graphicaly "more interesting" and use full potential of this engine with faster workflow. Of course next point is piano roll in sequencer which we have in M3 for years. And as was written higher they really have to make 64-bit support for Kronos Editor. My personal oppinion is that they don't need to make some new workstation becasuce they can work with Kronos for many years.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomasDemcak wrote:
I think that all will be good, if they make some sofrware improvements in Kronos. They could make better look for UI. For example make AL-1 engine graphicaly "more interesting" and use full potential of this engine with faster workflow. Of course next point is piano roll in sequencer which we have in M3 for years. And as was written higher they really have to make 64-bit support for Kronos Editor. My personal oppinion is that they don't need to make some new workstation becasuce they can work with Kronos for many years.

typically we evaluate whats happening today with keyboards, alternatives.

A manufacturer looks ahead 2 or more years. And its not a simple flip of a switch to roll off a sophisticated new keyboard from the assembly line.

We will continue pushing polyphony limits on the Kronos. Sample Libs are getting larger. Sure, storage is cheap. Paying $3000 for old tech is sort of annoying. But thats just me Smile

For us home musicians, and song writers there are already decent alternatives
with DAWS - quite sophisticated . This is nothing new , of course, but another 2 years and this platform will be more significant.

I see Kronos remaining strong for the gigging keyboardist. No doubt about that.
Thats 1 segment of the so called W/s marketplace.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is : Is Korg ready to put another big workstation with a price near 4000€ in a world music market full of kids who nowadays are just making music and hearing it with their iphones !

Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
The question is : Is Korg ready to put another big workstation with a price near 4000€ in a world music market full of kids who nowadays are just making music and hearing it with their iphones !

Very Happy

LOL

Kronos is like a 10,000 pound hammer compared to the simple music tools used or needed for the simple music kids listen to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: