Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos+Boss Dr.880. Good choice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Kronos+Boss Dr.880. Good choice. Reply with quote

As far as arrangers go, i think kronos and Dr-880 was the right choice for me.
Dr.880 doesn't have all the pad buttons to cue in various fills in real time, but it does have a wide variety of fills and a song mode where you can stitch together full length drum songs with fills, endings, silence, intros and count-ins.
Then you can run kronos drum machine in tandem as well as dump Dr-880 pattern songs into kronos to be put to kronos drum track patterns(or dump kronos drum track pattern data into Dr-880 to use there). And on top of that, add Karma. 7 midi channels max, needed between Dr-880 and Kronos if you want the sections all separated. 4 karma module sections, one kronos drum track section. Dr-880 has a Bass section and Drum section, each with its own midi channel setting.
That adds up to 7 possible midi channels with each doing its own pattern, responding to its own midi channel. The real time fills that Dr-880 cannot do, i can have drum track do one and karma do 4. Tapping the drum track button to bring one fill in and out and tapping Karma controls to bring others in and out. The big advantage is the 500 preset patterns with bass and drum lines, that each come with a shelf full of intro, fill and ending options. you can even set how long the fills run. 500 user patterns too. Even Genos or PAx4 hardly do better than 500 preset patterns.
Karma, drum track and dr-880 can all run at once on the same midi channels or separate channels.

I like Dr.880 bass sounds. Lots of preset bass lines and 40 different bass instrumemts to match. They cut through more and more realistic than Kronos. Korg has always gotten less appeal for most of its bass sounds.
Dr.880 drum kits are good but i like the Kronos drum kits sound much better.
So i have the mixer set up to capture Dr-880 and kronos on their separated line outs and then both linked via midi. The bass and drum section on dr-880 get their own independent midi channel setting and also their own independent volume controls and feature settings, all on the front panel of Dr.880. also 2 assignable individual line outs similar to kronos 4 line outs. They carry effect bus or bass sections to separate speakers or external mixer channels if you want to do separate parts from the mixer. Also each instrumemt of a Dr.880 kit can be assigned to its own effect, volume, and output. Similar to kronos but kronos drum kits go further with HD-1 potency behind them.

I can use the Dr-880 drum section to send midi patterns to kronos kits and use kronos to send bass line midi data to the bass section of Dr-880 or just use dr-880 arranger for the midi bass lines. Yes the bass lines follow the beats in the way and arranger does as you play. Auto arranger function for dr-880 bass lines. And just imagine throwing in some Karma on that.

So i have basically an arranger at hand with Kronos, Dr-880 and a small mixer. Not quite as dynamically control surfaced as dedicated flagship arrangers out there but it has the basics down solid. Bass line, drums and then kronos drum track plus Karma to seal the deal.
I haven't even mentioned moving to sequencer mode where RPPR and audio tracks can be had.

The truth is, Kronos is the key to making Dr-880 so worth while.
Did i mention that dr-880 lets you plug in a Guitar and run it through dr-880 effects and plug switches and EXpression pedals to work the guitars amd more via the on board effects dedicated for guitars plugged into Dr-880?. It is a Boss dr-880 and that means Boss pedals and stompers will imterface well with it.
Any way, kronos has excellent midi filter feature in tracks to block dr-880 program change signals and more if you want. Each kronos track can take a midi section of Dr-880's 2 midi channeled sections. Bass and drum sections. Plug a guitar into Dr.880 and leave kronos inputs free for other things or vocals.
Actually 3 dr-880 sections when you include the guitar plug-in with effects and boss pedal power processing.

I done did good Mama! Finally! Laughing
jbeliz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted to get that drum machine, so it looks like you got the hang of using it with the Kronos, so how does it work when you connect it thru midi can you control the drum machine thru midi like change keys as your playing accompaniment with bass and guitar riffs.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbeliz wrote:
I always wanted to get that drum machine, so it looks like you got the hang of using it with the Kronos, so how does it work when you connect it thru midi can you control the drum machine thru midi like change keys as your playing accompaniment with bass and guitar riffs.

The drum machine has key a change feature while kronos of course has the same and more.
I don't have too much of a grasp on deeper controller link between the two. I had to disable program change in combi timbre(midi filter page) so that i could stop kronos programs from changing when i cursored or scrolled Dr880 patterns. Dr880 pads can play kronos keys(midi note numbers). I just use it for more elborate patterns to drive Kronos Kits, so all my adjustments are over kronos kits(OSC) and timbres. I change Kronos Tempo and it shows the same change on Dr880. I do pitch shift on Kronos to align the Dr880 midi data to the right instrument set and order to match Dr880 instrument set and order. It is +12 pitch in kronos timbre to align kronos kits with Dr880 kits.

I prefer to keep kronos controls dedicated to kronos and Dr880 controls to Dr880. I can set up dr 880 over the far right surface panel of kronos and use it like it is just another control region of kronos. Midi cables make that possible.
Eventually i want to have all my Dr880 pattern songs in kronos user patterns or sequencer and just use kronos.
Soon i will be back to just Kronos with Dr880 midi data blood flowing through Kronos midi file veins. I will eventually do the same with virtual drum machines off of the computer.
Kronos is all i really need because it can graft into itself from anything else i would need. Ok, maybe not everything -like advanced vocal harmonizers.

There is a midi implementation section in the user manual. It is there for making deeper controller interface possible for those who need to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: