Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why No Kronos Orchestral Brass Libraries? (& woodwinds)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Why No Kronos Orchestral Brass Libraries? (& woodwinds) Reply with quote

The likes of Korg, Kapro and Karo (and other brands of course!) have tempted us with their wonderful orchestral string libraries for a good few years now but there don't seem to be any good orchestral brass (& woodwinds etc.) libraries - even Karo rely mostly on the stock Kronos brass and woodwinds to mix with their own samples

There is the odd instrument here and there (e.g. Sonatina) but every time I search the web the tumbleweed keeps blowing past.

An example of the brass I'm taking about is here: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/orchestral-cinematic/symphony-series-brass-collection/ - no advertisement intended...

I'm not really sure why this is, maybe there just isn't the market for it...

Anyone got any recommendations ?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why No Kronos Orchestral Brass Libraries? (& woodwin Reply with quote

Peas&Carrots wrote:
The likes of Korg, Kapro and Karo (and other brands

An example of the brass I'm taking about is here: http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/orchestral-cinematic/symphony-series-brass-collection/ - no advertisement intended...

I'm not really sure why this is, maybe there just isn't the market for it...

I don't know if the Kronos is used for used for full on movie soundtracks/scores which is what your example sounds like. The film score producers likely use Digital Performer and a few PC's running Gigastudio, etc, etc for their platform.

Its possible that the Kronos can be used for indie productions.

Anyway, I like that demo. I don't recall hearing anything close enough from the 3rd party sample lib authors.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a silly question, but have you tried the brass expansion that comes preloaded with the Kronos? It's not loaded by default.

Personally, I use Extreme Sample Converter to port across sample libraries from Kontakt rather than buying expansions specifically for the Kronos anyway. Kronos libraries are expensive an non-transferrable, which doesn't make them more good long-term investment in my eyes.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Pa3XDK

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Probably a silly question, but have you tried the brass expansion that comes preloaded with the Kronos? It's not loaded by default.

Personally, I use Extreme Sample Converter to port across sample libraries from Kontakt rather than buying expansions specifically for the Kronos anyway. Kronos libraries are expensive an non-transferrable, which doesn't make them more good long-term investment in my eyes.

How are the results when you sample from Kontakt libraries to the Kronos? Some of the (e.g. Guitars from 3. party have alot of vel. layers and scripts) is that possible to replicate on the Kronos? I've never tried this myself, as I just got the Kronos this week - but I'm VERY interested in hearing more about your results, if you'd take the time to explain. Smile
NI Komplete Ultimate 9, and a hell of a lot VI's

Music demo's at;
https://soundcloud.com/hellan-n-rlev/sets
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Yes. Karo use these in their string libraries

SeedyLee wrote:
Personally, I use Extreme Sample Converter
I would give this a try but I'm on a mac with limited storage capacity left for the Windows operating system Crying or Very sad I wish they would make a Mac version...

SeedyLee wrote:
Kronos libraries are expensive an non-transferrable, which doesn't make them more good long-term investment
Agreed.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peas&Carrots wrote:

SeedyLee wrote:
Personally, I use Extreme Sample Converter
I would give this a try but I'm on a mac with limited storage capacity left for the Windows operating system Crying or Very sad I wish they would make a Mac version...

There are other apps that will do the same thing on a Mac. Sample Robot, Samplit, Logic Pro.

Peas&Carrots wrote:
SeedyLee wrote:
Kronos libraries are expensive an non-transferrable, which doesn't make them more good long-term investment
Agreed.

They are transferrable to a new Kronos. At least according to http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=668670#668670
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott

Thanks for updating this post re transferring Kronos libraries.

I've had mixed results with Logic Pro X. I haven't tried the others you mention... (but of course: £££/$$$)

ttfn
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peas&Carrots wrote:
I haven't tried the others you mention... (but of course: £££/$$$)

I think those other two have free downloadable demos.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Why No Kronos Orchestral Brass Libraries? (& woodwin Reply with quote

Peas&Carrots wrote:
The likes of Korg, Kapro and Karo (and other brands of course!) have tempted us with their wonderful orchestral string libraries for a good few years now but there don't seem to be any good orchestral brass (& woodwinds etc.) libraries - even Karo rely mostly on the stock Kronos brass and woodwinds to mix with their own samples

I have a few KARO/KApro libraries. There are some new brass sounds and even a few woodwinds (woodwind and flute ensembles, duduk, several pan flute variations, and uilleann pipes).

Nothing fancy, but here is a video of me going through several orchestral brass programs, from KApro and Korg's EXs 16. The focus is on orchestral brass, but obviously there are many saxes and other horns I didn't get to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQTuYMA_No0

I also suggest going through the EXs 3 samples, as there is some decent variety there.

I haven't tried these, but there are some woodwinds in the first set.

KApro
127 & 128 16 bit Classics
116 Power Brass
methusala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg did a brass/woodwind upgrade for the Oasys and they're fantastic.

Patrick
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

methusala wrote:

Yep, that is EXs3, which is included in the Kronos. It is quite good! Search those sounds out.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have something to do with money and effort. The amount of work that goes into creating multisamples from an entire orchestra is substantially more than sampling a single instrument or a sound, you have to pay all those musicians, too! Since Korg included EXs3 with the Kronos, everyone probably chose to work on other projects, especially because EXs3 was so good.
exsequor699

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
methusala wrote:

Yep, that is EXs3, which is included in the Kronos. It is quite good! Search those sounds out.

I deleted by mistake the EXs3 PCG file in my Kronos. Can someone please share the PCG please? (The PCG, not the sample file)
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exsequor699 wrote:
I deleted by mistake the EXs3 PCG file in my Kronos. Can someone please share the PCG please? (The PCG, not the sample file)

PM me your email and I will help you !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:

PM me your email and I will help you !

This request was posted on two different threads. He ended up finding the PCG file in his restore DVDs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: