Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting PA4x to PreSonus mixer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orasikh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Connecting PA4x to PreSonus mixer Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

i am seeking your advice on how to connect my PA4x to PreSonus mixer to record music on the built-in memory on the mixer and at the same time to use the keyboard speaker (PaAS) as a monitor. is anybody tried that and is it possible?

Thanks
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orasikh, I haven't had experience with that specific mixer but the connection should be easy. Simply connect your main left and right outputs of the Pa4x to two separate input channels on your mixer. You will be able to hear/monitor your sound via the Paas (and you could, if you want, also record into the internal korg recorder at the same time as a backup).

Depending on what you're trying to record (i.e. Are vocals essential etc), you may be even better (and have more flexibility) if you record into the pa4x sequencer or quick backing recorder (if you don't have an external DAW) as that will give you the option of tweaking sounds, notes, mix, mistakes etc. after you've played it. Then, once you've cleaned up the midi data to how you want it to sound, then you can simply press play (of that midi file) and record it into your mixer's recording section.

Finally, remember that as a way of monitoring the mix and sound that you're getting in your final mix, the Paas may be rather inaccurate (especially if you have custom Maxx settings for it) so you may need to check you final sound/mix on systems with typical hifi sound.

P.s. Use balanced cables in order to maintain the best signal to noise ratio.

Hope this is useful and gives you a few ideas to think about.
Best wishes,
Jon
orasikh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jonyblues
I actually would like to record on the mixer because it has a good mic effects. The mixer has 4 inputs and one main output(left&right) I might also record addition live instruments e.g. violin, guitar etc. through those inputs and as I said I would want to use the keyboard speaker to record my live performance Only in mixer
I appreciate your advice
orasikh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any help please...
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orasikh, I think that if you don't want to record to the korg sequencer and you just want to record live into the mixer's recorder/drive, then just follow paragraph one of my previous post. Sorry not to give you more info than that but I would assume that once you've connected the kbd to the mixer and adjusted your levels, fx and eq on the mixer, you should only really have to start the recorder on the mixer and you'll be up and running.

Hope this helps a little.
Best wishes,
Jon
orasikh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon. My worries that might impact the sound system of the keyboard when connnecting 2 cables in and out to the keyboard in order to use the KB speaker as a monitor to connect one or more instruments to the mixer. Also note that the mixer is not powered
I don’t want to try this before I make sure it will not affect the sound system of the keyboard. If this away will work,it will avoided me buying monitor speakers

I appreciate your response as soon as possible
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orasikh, from your last post I now understand/assume that you are intending to not only connect the l/r outputs from the kbd to the mixer channel inputs but to also connect the l/r main outputs of the mixer back into the l/r inputs (i.e. Inputs 1/2) on the back of the kbd.

As long as the mixer is definitely not a powered mixer, I think that will be fine, as it's just like my set up now, apart from the fact that I'm sending the sound of an external sound module back to the kbd instead of sending a mixer signal.

A couple of things to consider though:
1. I hope that you are aware that once you use the inputs in the back of the korg, the mic input (if you are using one, will be disabled). If you need to use the mic during recording, simply unplug the two input cables.
2. I would, to avoid looping and/or feedback issues turn fully down the output channels of the mixer, when you are recording the kbd, so that no signal is being sent back to the kbd. Then, turn them up again whenever you want to hear/play back the recordings that you have made. I hope the reason for doing this already makes sense but in summary you don't want to be re-recording the recordings in the mixer multiple times.

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: