Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Midi Interface w laptop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chucksykes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: USB Midi Interface w laptop Reply with quote

I downloaded the driver as instructed but I can't get my laptop to recognize krome as the recording source.

I am using the DAW Audacity.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driver is a MIDI driver, and is required to set up a MIDI connection between keyboard and computer. MIDI is data only, like note on, note off, key velocity, modulation wheel/joystick position. There is no audio transferred over MIDI.

To record audio from the Krome into Audacity will require an audio cable between keyboard and computer, with two 1/4" jacks on one end to go into the Krome's main audio outs and the other end to suit, so probably merging into one 1/8" or 3.5mm stereo jack at the other end to go into the laptop's audio in port. Many laptops now combine the headphone/line out jack with audio in, so both cannot be used at the same time, which is a bit limiting for audio use. It might be preferable to get an external USB audio interface for more serious recording, but the above should get you started.

chucksykes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: USB Midi Interface w laptop Reply with quote

I tried that but the problem is, audacity will not recognize it as a recording device. I have the MAudio external 2/2 which works fine but I like the pure sound of the krome without the filter of the m audio.

So, when I go the the taskbar, options to select input from krome do not show up.

I have tried everything I can think of. do you have any other suggestions.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the OS version, and the laptop make and model?

The M-Audio 2/2 drivers may trigger a user interface to load, accessible from the Windows taskbar, but it is unlikely that the internal drivers will do so, so the Taskbar is probably not the place to go looking.

When the Krome's audio outs are connected to the laptop's own audio ins, the Krome won't show up as a distinct audio device, sice there is no Windows specification for this because there is no provision for any data signalling over the audio cables, since the audio is in the analogue domain at this point. It will be necessary to select the laptop's onboard audio chipset, or possibly select something like MME (Microsoft Multimedia Extensions). It should be possible to do this from the Audacity Edit | Preferences screen under the Devices category.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: