Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trigger Sequence From Set List

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulmellors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Trigger Sequence From Set List Reply with quote

Hi, is it possible to automatically start a sequence from the set list?

I'm wanting to trigger some voice-overs.

THanks

Paul
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean: being able to choose a performance from the setlist and have it start playing without inputting any MIDI notes? No that's not possible. You could automate patch changes and trigger notes via an external sequencer but I'm pretty sure you want to be able to dynamically choose patterns on the fly similar to something like Ableton Live's session view.

Your best bet would be to create samples and map them across the keyboard so you can trigger them whenever you want.

Dave Champagne has a video on sampling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OurA3eeaxxA

Similarly you can take advantage of KARMA scenes. Making a custom GE would require the KARMA software though.

http://www.karma-lab.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=50
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I have never done it, but I believe you can put a “Song” in a Set List just as you can a Program or a Combination.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4GodnWV wrote:
Hmm... I have never done it, but I believe you can put a “Song” in a Set List just as you can a Program or a Combination.

I believe its possible, too.

But all the SEQ songs have to be pre-loaded.

In addition , the Song has to be started. An extra step, that can be solved by using a switch pedal and assigning SEQ/Song start to it.

I haven't tried this, but it should work.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Wonder if that can be auto-loaded on start-up like a saved multi-sample?
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily put a song into the setlist. It's important to note, in Set List mode, if you are playing back a sequence, and you happen to touch another sequence tile, it will immediately stop the first sequence and begin the 2nd. It's not very practical, unless you have a use for interrupting one sequence for another.
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
Your best bet would be to create samples and map them across the keyboard so you can trigger them whenever you want.

I really like this idea.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4GodnWV wrote:
GregC wrote:

Wonder if that can be auto-loaded on start-up like a saved multi-sample?

I don't see any ' auto load ' menu item or a check box for it.

don't believe there is any programming to support the function.

IMO, I don't expect Korg to invest much money in the SEQ. Most/many are using DAWs for recording
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

IMO, I don't expect Korg to invest much money in the SEQ. Most/many are using DAWs for recording

My sequencer videos get far more views than a lot of my others. There is a strong interest in that part of the keyboard. Just look at the flack the Montage took for not having a full sequencer.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
GregC wrote:

My sequencer videos get far more views than a lot of my others. There is a strong interest in that part of the keyboard. Just look at the flack the Montage took for not having a full sequencer.

What Y did with the Montage was,, well, wrong IMO. The pricing esp bugs me.
The no SEQ was just 1 issue.

If folks are using 4 or 5 midi tracks plus an audio here and there, the SEQ is a grand slam. I have gotten to the point where I am using all 16.

I am planning to go over to the other side and get into cubase. I feel stifled with 16 midi tracks on the SEQ. Another part is an interest in other instruments to record tracks on.

And some of the beefier Programs ( Mod 7, heavy FX) are chewing up Polyphony where I lose notes, get pops.

I am experimenting with polyphony tricks , such as muting tracks . I will start a post on polyphony tricks and would welcome your expertise.

Thanks
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
It's important to note, in Set List mode, if you are playing back a sequence, and you happen to touch another sequence tile, it will immediately stop the first sequence and begin the 2nd.

I think that's exactly what the OP is looking for. Tried verifying that on my Kronos and it didn't work. Loaded up two of the factory demo songs, loaded them into the setlist... started playing Interstices and then touched Children's Celebration. Switching the song stopped playback.

As GregC pointed out you can assign a foot switch to song start/stop in the Global Controllers/Scales tab under Controllers. At the top of the window is a box with the parameter Food Switch Assign... choose song start/stop.

4GodnWV wrote:
CharlesFerraro wrote:

I really like this idea.

Thank you. I think that's the best option for triggering voice-overs. Load the recordings, map to keys, load samples into a program and viola.
paulmellors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
I have been experimenting with trying to run a theatre show completely from the Kronos but I think I need to stick with Ableton Live for the immediacy to triggering cues.

Thanks for all the input.

Paul
paulmellors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
You mean: being able to choose a performance from the setlist and have it start playing without inputting any MIDI notes? No that's not possible. You could automate patch changes and trigger notes via an external sequencer but I'm pretty sure you want to be able to dynamically choose patterns on the fly similar to something like Ableton Live's session view.

Dave Champagne has a video on sampling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OurA3eeaxxA

Similarly you can take advantage of KARMA scenes. Making a custom GE would require the KARMA software though.

http://www.karma-lab.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=50

Ableton's session view is y go to app for this. Perhaps the best option is to stick with that.

I had intended to run the whole show from Kronos but these voixeovers have now entered the equation😊
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulmellors wrote:
I had intended to run the whole show from Kronos but these voixeovers have now entered the equation😊

I think you can do what you’re decribing. I can program what you need if that helps. Would just need the voiceover stems.
I’m assuming you’re playing along with the performane. I can set your keyboard sounds up in a combi while saving an octave for the voice tracks. If you’re utilizing the full range of keys on your Kronos then I’d just implement an octave switch on SW1 or 2. These are the details we’d need to discuss via direct message so feel free to reach out.
paulmellors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:

Ableton's session view is y go to app for this. Perhaps the best option is to stick with that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: