Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe S2+Minilogue=chaos changing patterns/programs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceanfade87

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Electribe S2+Minilogue=chaos changing patterns/programs Reply with quote

Hi all. Long-time reader, first-time poster. Here's my workflow-breaking problem:

Background:
Life with Electribe Sampler 2 (ES2) + Minilogue had been going great. I have the Mini slaved to the Tribe, and do all my sequencing on the Tribe. It worked perfectly...until I added a Volca Bass into the mix, started messing around with MIDI channels, and switched the MIDI in/out to use the Mini as a controller for the Tribe. Which somehow triggered...

My problem:
Now, using the same setup that has always worked, changing patterns on the Electribe changes the Minilogue program to the corresponding number. So if I jump to pattern 50 on the Tribe, the Minilogue jumps to program 50.

Here's a video demonstrating how I can turn Electribe pattern knob willy nilly and the Minilogue programs happily match the number: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KWYZOB7J57VsU2Bdg8wW-m8CbtK0oAk6/view?usp=sharing

What I've tried:
—Updating firmware (on both)
—Messing with the Mini's Rx/Tx MIDI functions (Rx stops the problem, but also stops the sequencing messages I want to send from Tribe > Mini)
—Messing with the Tribe's MIDI send filter (anything but "off" also stops sequencing)

Other notes:
—When I switch the MIDI ins/outs, the problem is present in reverse: changing the Mini's programs changes the Tribe's patterns.
—The "chain to" function on the Tribe (which I use extensively) does NOT change the program on the Mini. It's only when I manually change patterns.
—My Tribe's global MIDI channel is 16, which is the same channel I'm using for the Mini—this is how I've had it set up for ages with no issue, so I'm presuming this isn't problematic.
—Since the problem showed up, I added an AmpTone splitter to sequence the Volca and the Mini from the Tribe. The problem persists.

That's where I am. I'm inexperienced with this kind of problem, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I've looked over the manual, and nothing else jumps out. Any guidance appreciated.
slug

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIDI SEND FILTER ................................[Off, Short, Short+Program]
Specifies which MIDI messages are not transmitted.
OFF: All messages are transmitted.
Short: Short messages (Note On/Off, Control Change) are not transmitted.
Short + Program: Short messages and program change messages are not transmitted.

You didn't say what you are currently set to, but should be "Short + Program" if you want to exclude program change being sent.
oceanfade87

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
MIDI SEND FILTER ................................[Off, Short, Short+Program]
Specifies which MIDI messages are not transmitted.
OFF: All messages are transmitted.
Short: Short messages (Note On/Off, Control Change) are not transmitted.
Short + Program: Short messages and program change messages are not transmitted.

You didn't say what you are currently set to, but should be "Short + Program" if you want to exclude program change being sent.

Thanks for the reply! Saw that, tried that, alas, didn't work. Well, it DOES stop the program change issue, but it also stops all the sequencing I'm trying to send from the Tribe to the Mini, too.
mattjay84

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get this figured out oceanfade87? - it's driving me nuts.

Had the same issue with MicroKorg XL+ too.

I have sequenced quite a few non-Korg synths with the Tribe 2 and never had problems with them.
oceanfade87

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did! For me, the problem was that I had accidentally changed the global MIDI channel on the Electribe from 1 to 16 (my Minilogue channel). Once I switched it back to 1, the problem went away immediately.

Best of luck!
mattjay84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - will give it a whirl tonight.

Just out of interest - what Midi Send/Receive filter settings are you using?

Cheers Matt
oceanfade87

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them both set to "off" on the Electribe, and that works!
mattjay84

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bingo! Just need to set the Global Midi channel on the Tribe to a different channel than the Minilogue - I knew it would be something as simple as that.

Thanks,
Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: