Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for advice to save Polyphony in SEQ mode
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I am reading there is little audible diff between 16 and 24. ( Kays Karma forum).

There is some other issue about using 24 bit and the SEQ.

There is definitely a difference, especially with the bass response. I've tested both and my 24 bit files sound bigger. (Or rather the 16 bit files compress a bit smaller.) I'm am not aware of any issue. All my audio track recording is 24 bit. I never use 16 bit, unless it is on the OASYS, which doesn't have the 24 bit option.

If you could link to that "issue" info, I will read it. You may be thinking of 24 bit sampling. You can sample to Disk at 24 bit and Insert that sample into an Audio track. But if it goes to RAM (for editing) or multisample playback, it will down-convert to 16 bit. To keep it at 24 bit, use the Sequencer Audio Tracks.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Btw, I wasn't knocking the Roland sounds. I find that they mix really well in dense arrangements, because they aren't too full sounding.

psionic311 wrote:
I'm finding Integra supernatural synth sounds fuller than AL-1 in general.

AL-1 is not that thick, especially since it lacks Supersaw, Hypersaw waveforms. I'm sure the number of Tones that can be stacked has something to do with that, also. That ability really went up, since the JP-80. Greg hit it on the head, Korg uses lossless samples, so tone to tone, the Kronos samples sound less compressed. Another aspect is that Roland Notch and HP filters are off the hook, when it comes to resonance, so the sounds cut through a mix and can sound thin, literally.

Kronos filters are very neutral, so I like sounds made with different filters, like on the Virus and many analogue synths, that tend to have character. I'm going to grab that Behringer Model D, just because of how gritty it sounds.

Agreed that the AL-1 filters are somewhat 'neutral' sounding. The Virus definitely has character in its filters, although I still find the overall sound thin... which is probably great for multi-tracking. I'm more of a live sound guy. I imagine the KingKorg is probably yummy with all those filter types, but that filter type GAS is satisfied with my Micron on my end. Funny how that dorky little synth sounds "fatter" than a Kronos or an Andromeda... it's low-res while those other 2 are HD, but it's still thick for live purposes.

The Integra synths have more mid-range presence, which is where a lot of the character is. While that low-mid bump is missing on many patches, boosting it does all of a sudden harken back to the analog Roland synths of yesteryear.

Anywho, the whole point is that more polyphony does often mean more gear. I seem to recall some old advice that you should not have one sole keyboard for all your sounds, else you suffer a sort of "sameness" to your overall mix...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: