Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How likely Korg will release a new upgraded Kronos in 2018?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hag01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: How likely Korg will release a new upgraded Kronos in 2018? Reply with quote

This is a coninuation post to this post:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=112225

So after a serious talk with my piano teacher yesterday, I've got to the conclusion that I shouldn't replace my Kawai VPC1 to a Kawai MP11SE.

I need a digital piano for pure piano experience with headphone, and the VPC1 is the best I can get from a digital instrument, the MP11SE won't be better, and maybe even worse, because the MP11SE action is lighter, that is why my piano teacher strongly recommend to stay with VPC1, he knows me well and he knows how I hate light action for pure piano.

So now all my budget is available for a second board, for all the none piano stuff and for gigging.

So I'm aiming to a Korg Kronos in 2018.

But I have few questions.
I enter to Korg official website, and I see various different Kronoses, what are the differences between all of them?
Also, in my country Kronos 2 sold as the flagshipe Kronos, but in the official Korg website I don't even see Kronos 2 in the catalog, very odd.

Now for the main question, getting a Kronos is not very urgent for me, I really don't want to buy now a Kronos 2 or Kronos X or whatever the flagship Kronos right now, and then Korg will release an improved Kronos few months after.
How likely do you thing is it that Korg will release an upgraded Kronos up to about a year from now, considering that Kronos 2 was released 3 years ago(that is what written in Wikipedia)?
exsequor699

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Kronos 2" is a name users gave it to differentiate it from previous models, is not an "official" name. Not so likely we'll see a sucesor soon...

The main differences between Kronos models are the size of SSD and RAM memory, wich you can upgrade whatever model you have, the other differences are esthetic ones. (the LS has lighter keyboard action with no Aftertouch). Every other OS updates you can get them via download.

Check this post: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=112327

Last edited by exsequor699 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
hag01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exsequor699 wrote:

The main differences between Kronos models are the size of SSD and RAM memory, wich you can upgrade whatever model you have,t=112327

Do you mean I can buy a Kronos and add SSD and Ram by my own?
exsequor699

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg recommends to do this in an authorized Korg service center. Since we don't have those in my country, I did my homework and got documented about it and did the process with a qualified technician (from another brand 😅). There are plenty of videos of this process over here, youtube and other forums. If you have Korg service centers where you live, do it with them. Hope this help you in some way.

Here are some links:

https://youtu.be/v1mBfamwMlc

https://youtu.be/ZjJaG89t7lk
hag01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
May I ask how do you know that Korg isn't going to release a successor in the near future?
Is it a guess, or do you have some internal information?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hag01 wrote:
Thank you.
May I ask how do you know that Korg isn't going to release a successor in the near future?

keep in mind, you are on the Internet. Korg employees do not discuss plans.
exsequor699

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed over here several times, try to use the search engine to find posts about it. There is no concrete evidence or even a hint from Korg or elsewhere that a sucesor will come soon. My personal take is MAYBE in 2019.

Last edited by exsequor699 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hag01 wrote:
Thank you.

Anyone who really "knows" about plans for a Kronos successor has a non-disclosure agreement with Korg and isn't talking...so at this point anything you read or hear about it is just someone's guess, either well-informed, or totally off-the-wall, or anything in between...if the current Kronos does what you need right now, buy it, or you may be in for a long wait ("or maybe you won't", as David St. Hubbins said)...

df
hag01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to clarify that I'm not expecting to something entirely new that will replace the Kronos.
The Kronos is here for a long time, and I'm pretty sure it is here to stay in the foreseeable future.

But the Kronos history tells us that Korg refreshs the Kronos line occasionally.
At the begining ther was Kronos, then Kronos X, then Kronos 2.
I really want to know if ther's a Kronos 3(or whatever will be name of the new Kronos) in the near future.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hag01 wrote:
Just want to clarify that I'm not expecting to something entirely new that will replace the Kronos.
The Kronos is here for a long time, and I'm pretty sure it is here to stay in the foreseeable future.

But the Kronos history tells us that Korg refreshs the Kronos line occasionally.
I really want to know if ther's a Kronos 3(or whatever will be name of the new Kronos) in the near future.

I think a lot of people want to know this. We won't know until January... look for anything that says NAMM 2018 in the title, that's when NAMM convention takes place and Korg drops its big announcements and new products.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hag01 wrote:

Wait 1-2 months. I say 50% chance.

If nothing, after January, its a total guess.
leonh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what would new version of Kronos do better than current one in musical way make better music ?
Waiting for newer model is never ending game it will always be a "better one" so how long will you wait .
exsequor699

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far all the upgrades of the various Kronos models have been available for download and purchase for all Kronos models. I don’t see Korg changing that, not soon anyways (hope they keep it this way actually).
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
And what would new version of Kronos do better than current one in musical way make better music ?
Waiting for newer model is never ending game it will always be a "better one" so how long will you wait .

Some of us long time Kronos owners have a wish list of improvements.
Dig around for those posts.

If the tech has more power and the OS more robust, that will open up greater room for incredible programming and more features. IMO, Korg has had the best minds for programming, for decades.

If we have all the above ,we truly have another dream W/s.
hag01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exsequor699 wrote:
So far all the upgrades of the various Kronos models have been available for download and purchase for all Kronos models. I don’t see Korg changing that, not soon anyways (hope they keep it this way actually).

Including hardware upgrades?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: