Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create Tremolo Strings from Stacc.Strings Compi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valadis.mel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Create Tremolo Strings from Stacc.Strings Compi Reply with quote

I'm looking for tremolo strings (ensemble) on kronos. I checked at Kronos' presets but nothing interesting , so i am thinking about an other solution. I have a good compi with Stacc.Strings. So, which is the best solution for playing this compi in loop in fast speed by holding a key? I tried “Mallet roller 2” GE from karma presets but I can t use the karma parameters for the sound that I want . Any help? Thank you in advance!
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give you some general tips on how to synthesize realistic staccato strings. What you'll want to do is utilize a wavesequence that steps through a different sample with every note trigger. You're correct in trying to utilize KARMA as it's continuous note retriggering will be necessary.
I'm not sure if the Kronos already has such a wavesequence, or how many similar but slightly different string ensemble samples it has in it's banks but you can make your own. If you have a library with some round robins then utilize those for sure. Or try creating variations with the same sample with very small differences in pitch and time stretching. The purpose is to avoid the "machine gun effect" that occurs when you have the same exact sample playing over and over.

Another trick is to layer two such wavesequences on top of each other. NOT the same wavesequence mind you, that would just double the amplitude of the sound obviously. Use a wavesequence with different round robin samples or different time/pitch shifted samples. Make both wavesequences different lengths. That'll help curb the illusion of a static, repeated pattern.

It's worth noting that KARMA can also add variations in velocity, not just for musical purposes but also subtly randomized timing and velocity. Try using the same GE for the two wavesequence programs in a combi but then choose different start seeds and bar lenths. Making your own GE would provide the best results.

Everything I'm talking about is very advanced and it'll be quite the undertaking but it's totally possible to do almost everything I mentioned (save the custom GE) right inside the Kronos itself. You'll need to know a lot about the open sampling system, wave sequences, KARMA, the saving architecture... definitely not for the faint of heart. Goodluck.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more things: you could simply trigger different samples by velocity instead of going the wavesequence route but then you lose the ability to actually use velocity for amplitude as you would want consistent volume while stepping through the different samples.
If you do happen to have different velocity string samples to begin with then you could create the wavesequence variations I mention in the earlier post with every velocity layer... but that's an insane amount of programming at that point! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: