Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No More Cakewalk
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RKfan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: No More Cakewalk Reply with quote

Gibson are closing down Cakewalk - this means no more Sonar.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/11/21/cakewalk-cease-product-development/

Crying or Very sad
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: gibson cake walk shutdown Reply with quote

cake walk shutdown
that is a sign of the times!!
WOW!!
I would to have never guessed that one!!

I wonder what gibson is thinking....
that is a bad move for sure....
as for me I gave up on Gibson guitars...
poor quality, not much bang for the buck..

I went with schecter here in the studio as the only guitars we use for production...
not crazy about the bats on one of them.... lol!!
but the sounds I get off the 4 of them here....
with the emg's they are one of the cleanest sounding guitars I have ever used!! and you can twist the knob to 12 (LOL!!) and get as much drive as anyone needs!! 2 of the guitars have the sustainiac on them...
with one exception my old noland epiphone custom 12 string I had them make it for me from back in 1977.... rosewood sides and back..

I have always used cakewalk in one form or another in the studio...
wish I had the bucks to just buy them!!
surprised that korg or avid did not buy cakewalk for sure!!
hint hint!!

this is why I always say hardware first!!
software can always fail in one form or another...
lol I miss the old 1/2 track reel to reel days!!
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 some years ago, I had a cakewalk midi sequencer with a SoundBlaster system! Eventually I moved on to other DAWs so never got to try out Sonar. I had no idea Gibson had bought them out. Who's going to be next?

amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad,
Cakewalk / Twelwe Tone Pro Audio was my first foray into digital/DAW around
1996-1997.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
LM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is beyond sad.

Cakewalk Professional for DOS was my first sequencer on the PC, back in the late eighties / early nineties.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed sad and a complete surprise. Only a matter of time before the authentication servers are shut down and people's investments become worthless.

These days I don't invest in any software that requires a server for authorisation.

Hope all the fine folk at the Cakewalk office are doing okay.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
20 some years ago, I had a cakewalk midi sequencer with a SoundBlaster system! Eventually I moved on to other DAWs so never got to try out Sonar. I had no idea Gibson had bought them out. Who's going to be next?

This was mine also! Hated it and went back to the M1 and using the SB16 for games, heheh.

SeedyLee wrote:
It is indeed sad and a complete surprise. Only a matter of time before the authentication servers are shut down and people's investments become worthless.

There maybe hope:
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/11/21/cakewalk-cease-product-development/ wrote:
Cakewalk issued a statement via their forum that "Cakewalk's servers will continue to operate, you will still have access to all of your online assets, and your software will continue to work normally. A dedicated team has been established during this transition period to continue to serve the Cakewalk community."

I like how the article mentioned that the once grand guitar company are in strife over illegal hardwood use. Part of me wants to get a little Gibson guitar pin and a little Marshall PC speaker stack for the irony of that is what the two fallen legends are now selling. I can't help but think that if Cakewalk was owned by a software company this wouldn't have happened....
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using this exclusively for MIDI sequencing since I first started with a Roland MT-32 and a PC-200 MIDI controller in 1993. I am kinda devastated. I know I can use my current version of the software. I wonder how long you will be able to install it before they pull it from the servers.

Question going forward: What OTHER DAW sequencers have you used that are good for MIDI editing and recording? I found Sonar's staff view (though it hasn't been updated since Sonar Pro Audio v6 many years ago) invaluable because it gave me an easy way to view notes and edit them. PRV just isn't quite as fluent for me, though I use it a lot for Drum part editing.

I've heard great things about Logic Pro, but that one is exclusively for apple, and I am not mac-friendly at all. So, anyone know the best alternative DAW for MIDI?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your precise needs, renoise can be pretty good. You can certainly send arbitrary CCs and so on.

These days even LMMS and Muse are getting quite decent for MIDI, so consider the free options out there.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems cakewalk was loosing more and more ground in the last decade
Most loyal users allready moved on.

I am not surprised by this...
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
I've been using this exclusively for MIDI sequencing since I first started with a Roland MT-32 and a PC-200 MIDI controller in 1993. I am kinda devastated. I know I can use my current version of the software. I wonder how long you will be able to install it before they pull it from the servers.

Question going forward: What OTHER DAW sequencers have you used that are good for MIDI editing and recording? I found Sonar's staff view (though it hasn't been updated since Sonar Pro Audio v6 many years ago) invaluable because it gave me an easy way to view notes and edit them. PRV just isn't quite as fluent for me, though I use it a lot for Drum part editing.

I've heard great things about Logic Pro, but that one is exclusively for apple, and I am not mac-friendly at all. So, anyone know the best alternative DAW for MIDI?

Reaper you can give a try it's very efficient and can display midi staff.
Pro tools HD also has that feature.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Cakewalk Sonar for a few years, when their UI and effect and VSTi addons looked better to me than that of older Cubase-versions. Sad for the Cakewalk engineers how they lost their jobs despite working well, while it's rather the Gibson (mis)management that raises questions.

Some years ago I returned to Cubase and have not regretted it since. From my view the actual Cubase versions are the by far best overall DAWs you can get for the majority of tasks, including midi sequencing.

The only really important alternative concerns loop based music and is Ableton Live from my view.

That said, DAWs like Reaper, Presonus Studio One, Logic, ProTools and so far Cakewalk Sonar, just like Fruity Loops Studio etc. (for their own purposes) are all very well useable, with strong points in each of them. I am just convinced that Cubase definitely offers the best widespread overall package so far.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that's reassuring about Cubase. I remember having to use Cubase in college (it's what West Chester University used) and I had a rough time with it, but that was close to 20 years ago. Hoping it's better now, b/c from what I've read, it seems like one of the most solid choices, but i keep hearing something about needing some kind of a "dongle" for it, I can't imagine for what though. I also checked out PowerTracks but haven't tried it yet. That one has been around FOREVER, but it has a pretty nice staff view, and is primarily for MIDI sequencing.

I'm planning on sticking with Sonar until it is completely dead. Right now, they've just closed their store and halted future development, and seem to be in a holding pattern, but that doesn't mean someone good won't buy them out. A lot of Sonar customers are begging Microsoft to buy it and save it, and who knows if Korg, Roland, or Yamaha, or one of the other large synth manufacturers could decide to buy it - it is quite a commodity. There is even a #savecakewalk on facebook. At one point, Roland owned Cakewalk, something like that could happen again. Sonar has a great GUI, PRV mode, and Melodyne is extremely useful. It's staff mode is literally straight out of 1995, but I'm used to it and it does everything I need it to do.

The Cakewalk community is in a major panic right now. Many are jumping ship and not waiting to buy other DAWs. Cubase and PreSonus are offering crossgrade specials to Sonar users, and the rumors that are flying around are pretty crazy. Some people are under the impression that the subscription-version of Sonar (what I'm using currently) will revert back to demo mode in January, and there's a lot of not knowing what is going on. I actually spent all day yesterday previewing DAWs (not demoing yet), but kinda depressed b/c I have hundreds of projects saved in proprietary Sonar format, and I'm afraid suddenly I won't be able to access any of them. Also, since Sonar doesn't give you installation media anymore, it's all through an on-line installer, I'm afraid what will happen next time Windows 10 decides to patch itself poorly and i have to reinstall the whole thing again. I'm only about half-way through revoicing my M3 sequences to my Kronos, just not what I wanted to worry about right now. I am just holding tight, waiting for more news.

BTW, for any other Sonar users, Cubase 9.5 doesn't have a demo out yet, but you can download the one for 8.5 (9.4 Gb?) here: https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/cubase-pro-85-trial-available-3528.html

Thank you for all your advice, still need to check out a few more DAWs to see which one is right for me. Hoping to check out Cubase nad Muse again tonight.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when Gibson bought, and killed Opcode. Studio Vision was an awesome sequencer. Sad

iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: shame on you gibson Reply with quote

I hear you on the buying up company's just to trash them or bury them..
and or the products they own...
I still stand by the wish we all could do a co op and buy some of these good company's and or the property's.

and try to keep the share holder boards out of the new company.
so many bad decisions are made at the board room tables...
all about the bottom line, and not about the music anymore.
so I guess I will post this in the real forum...
shame on you Gibson.. for killing the best first music software out there.
you will have to say several millions of hail Mary's to get out of this one..
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: