Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMS : two questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: AMS : two questions Reply with quote

Hello,

I have two questions about AMS :

1°) The Step Sequencers are part of AMS. Is there a mean to easily know their destination ? Yesterday I tried to study some preset Progr. We can easily see, on the overview, that Step Sequencer or Common Step Sequencer are used inside the Program. But I've found it's really long and difficult to find out where there are used. Because sometimes it's very subtle and difficult to hear.
Do you know a way to do that ?

2°) About AMS again : what is Controller (CC#83) MIDI control change (CC#83). There no explanation on Parameters Guide. I don't understand this controller because there are all Midi Controllers !! So, what does this particular one do ?

Thank you all for your responses

Fred
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Look around page 184 of the Kronos Parameter Guide for more info on assigning the step sequencer. Basically the step sequences needs to be assigned as an AMS source for the desired destination e.g. pitch. The AMS needs to be given an intensity value to have anyeffect.

2. MIDI CC#83 is a general purpose on/off control CC, according to the MIDI spec. 0-63 for off and 64-127 for on. The Kronos offers a good degree of flexibility in assigning CCs.

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
1. Look around page 184 of the Kronos Parameter Guide for more info on assigning the step sequencer. Basically the step sequences needs to be assigned as an AMS source for the desired destination e.g. pitch. The AMS needs to be given an intensity value to have anyeffect.

I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough. I do already know how to use Step Sequencer. What I'm looking for is a quick way to know easily to what parameters the Step Sequencer has been attributed inside a preset Program, without going over the whole parameters.

voip wrote:
2. MIDI CC#83 is a general purpose on/off control CC, according to the MIDI spec. 0-63 for off and 64-127 for on. The Kronos offers a good degree of flexibility in assigning CCs.

Ok thank you.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AMS : two questions Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

1°) The Step Sequencers are part of AMS. Is there a mean to easily know their destination ? Yesterday I tried to study some preset Progr. We can easily see, on the overview, that Step Sequencer or Common Step Sequencer are used inside the Program. But I've found it's really long and difficult to find out where there are used. Because sometimes it's very subtle and difficult to hear.

not possible, there is no way to tell which destinations are using specific ams sources. I wish that was true, so you have to guess based on the effect on the sound you hear. For the stepsequencers most people are using it one way or another for filters, volume or pitch, so those are the areas i would check first.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: AMS : two questions Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

not possible, there is no way to tell which destinations are using specific ams sources. I wish that was true, so you have to guess based on the effect on the sound you hear. For the stepsequencers most people are using it one way or another for filters, volume or pitch, so those are the areas i would check first.

Thank you Qui, I was afraid it was the case. It would be a very convenient improvement : for example, on the LFO2 tab, getting an option in the menu "List of destination", the same on LFO3, EG2 and so on.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why i always suggest AMS search whenever people ask about a mystery modulation or characteristic over their sound that they cannot source or get rid of.
If there were a good place for something to be hiding, the maze of AMS would be it. So many AMS destinations and each with a list of sources.

Easiest way is the hard way and that is learn all chatcteristics of the AMS enabled parameters and then learn the modulation characteristics of each modulation source and then you will get closeo telling what is coming from where in the AMS setup across each synth engine.

Not easy but possible. AMS is worth it either way.

Great idea for future systems improvement in Korg workstation. A quick summary list of active AMS destinations and related sources. It would really narrow things down for most users.
Rigel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 19Naia. We need a way to tell which controller modulates what. I have this perfectly implemented on my Blofeld,
Ultranova, and Kurzweil PC3K, all of which have sophisticated synthesis engines. Surely Kronos needs an improvement to overcome this.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: