Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using Kross 2 audio over USB?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone using Kross 2 audio over USB? Reply with quote

I'd like to hear from anyone who is using the USB audio feature of Kross 2. I can't find any reference to how it works in the operation guide...I guess Korg figures everyone can just figure it out on their own!

I am especially interested in finding out if it has the same flaw as Kronos where any audio from the computer gets mirrored back out to the computer.
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess not a lot of folks are using USB audio Confused

I have emailed Korg support about this. If/when I get a reply I'll post it here.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB connection presents the Kross 2 as two devices a MIDI device and a USB audio device. The standard USB audio drivers that come with Windows or Mac OS should be sufficient for audio.

For more details, try downloading the Kross 2 Operation Guide and Parameter Guide and use the pdf reader's text search function to help find the sections related to USB audio. Using "USB audio" as a search term should locate most of the relevant bits.
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem...the manuals have no text whatsover about how the interface works. Nothing.

There is only this diagram:

This suggests that anything arriving from the computer loops back to the computer Shocked If that is the case, it is not possible to listen to DAW tracks while recording output of the Kross. Which makes the audio interface basically useless. Without a functional audio interface, I have no use for Kross 2. That's why some actual text would be really helpful...otherwise I have to drag a laptop and USB cable down to a music store and try to do some recording just to confirm the loopback behavior. There is no mention of actually using the USB audio interface in any text or video reviews I have seen online so far, just the statement that it exists.

Isn't this also a known "feature" of Kronos? Ugh... Crying or Very sad

PS no email from Korg yet Rolling Eyes
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More limited than I thought! At least on the Kronos, USB audio can be passed through the effects in sampling mode.

KalvinB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Kross 2 usb audio Reply with quote

Meatball:

Just received a Kross 2 on Friday and tried playing with audio over USB tonight. This is my first Korg synth: I'm a Yamaha guy and there's a learning curve involved but I got the USB audio to feed the computer OK into Reaper (but with some latency problems when laying down additional tracks). I found the Kross 2 operations manual to be almost worthless regarding USB audio (the "quickstart guide" that comes in the box is a real waste of time). I'm unimpressed so far with the Kross 2 (as compared with the Yamaha MX) but will post if I come up with more info on USB audio use.
arc1953

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Kross 2 audio Reply with quote

Hello.....
FWIW I have not tried the usb functions yet on my new Kross 2. I've had it just 9 days. I did hook up the MacBook Pro to it via the audio input jack. My intent was to load a pre-recorded sound effect onto one of the sample pads. After quite a bit of time, I managed to accomplish what I set out to do. I had not previously tried to do that kind of thing. While the audio was playing through the Korg, I didn't attempt to play along with it, or I might be in a better position to shed some light on your question. I'm still trying to learn this new machine.....just telling you what I know so far.
Telstar5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.. Very informative answered. I also have the Kross 2 and the operations guide explains NOTHING about the usb function. I recently had a Yamaha mx61 which I returned. Really happy with this thing. Really an edge over the Kross 1. Let’s hope Korg addresses some of these concerns in future updates.
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email reply back from Korg. They simply regurgitated the non-information from the manual which simply says to hook up the USB cable. No information whatsoever about controlling the audio routing. I replied back that I specifically wanted to know about the routing. What a PITA.
Telstar5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same email! Apparently they just look stuff up and regurgitate it.. useless
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you guys with a Kross2 want to try this:

1. hook up to your computer with USB

2. open your DAW, open a new project

3. Create two audio tracks

4. Record Kross into the first track with monitoring OFF, play it back to confirm audio returns to Kross

5. While listening to first track, record Kross into second track with monitoring OFF

6. Mute first track and play second track...do you hear both parts you played or just the second one?

That's all I want to know.
KalvinB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Audio Over USB Kross 2 Reply with quote

I'm giving up on the Kross 2 but I'll try recording over USB with the setup you suggest just to see if it works. I spent several hours trying the audio over USB setup and had no luck getting it to work (in a normal way). I loaded the recommended Korg driver and got audio input to Reaper but no midi over usb--the Kross didn't show up as a MIDI device! Uninstalling the driver got me MIDI and audio over usb using the stock Microsoft driver (Microsoft driver gets installed when you first connect the Kross2, installing the Korg driver results in having 3 drivers for the keyboard: Microsoft and 2 Korg drivers). I recorded a Combi onto track one and that worked, but trying to record another track onto track 2 led to a huge latency problem. That could have been my setup monitoring through the computer sound board. I tried monitoring through the Kross headphone jack and that worked with no latency except the audio from the first track (being monitored through the Kross headphone jack) was mixed with the second track of audio I was recording live. Not the desired result. Again, it could have been my monitoring setup and I'll check that. What did work well with that setup (after uninstalling the Korg driver and getting MIDI back) was playing the Arturia Moog soft synth on the computer hearing it combined with the Kross output via USB and the Kross headphone jack.

I bought the Kross 2 to use for live playing and really wasn't happy with the Korg Program sounds. The rotating speaker effect sounds really bad to my ear as compared to a real Leslie or even the effect on my Yamaha keyboards (Motif 8, MO6, and MX61). The rest of the Program sounds are "just OK", and that combined with the horrible .pdf manual and audio over usb problems were the deal killers. My son just wants something to practice on the Kross2 will be going to him, but I'll try to test your setup suggestions before it leaves and post the results.
KalvinB

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Audio over USB Reply with quote

Meatball,

I tried a recording test this morning using the setup you suggested. As long as the Korg Kross 2 headphone jack is used for monitoring the two tracks are mixed. That's in accord with the flow chart shown in the manual. Unless there's some item in one of the menus on the Korg itself that I've missed the keyboard will always mix each new track into the headphone outs and usb audio. I tried the same setup again but recorded track 2 using the computer headphone out and the 2 tracks are separated with no apparent latency (I used a faster 8 core computer this time rather than the laptop I used in the previous post, so that may account for the latency difference). It would seem to be the internal design of the Kross that's causing the mixing and I doubt that could be fixed with a firmware upgrade.
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that is what I feared. OK, scratch getting a Kross 2...
rogerlevy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I to understand that the Kross 2 USB Audio Interface doesn't really work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: