Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Pa4x user passionate (a little) worried keys too hard?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
espaceV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: New Pa4x user passionate (a little) worried keys too hard? Reply with quote

Hello to all

I browse your forum for quite some time.
I decided to buy a Pa4x for 1 week.
I also discovered and heard various musicians during a stay in Hungary (in hotels etc) (pa3x and pa4x)
I was looking to replace my Tyros 5 (76) that I still own.

From the first sounds, WOW, I said (to the headphones)
What a warmth, richness of sounds, The piano ... M'm fantastic
Whenever I pick up my T5 I find it sounds are "cold" aggressive, "shouting" etc.
Not decidedly, this Pa4x is extraordinary.

Unfortunately, I have small light hands Embarassed and there .... difficult to play as "easily" as on the T5
I have a lot of keyboards in my life (I'm 60 years old) the first a wersi 248s (built with my dad) a lot of Wersi Organ still today a Gala Cd 900 (still a wersi ), the Tyros 5....and now Pa4x Wink
I bought a PortableGrand (E Piano Yamaha) to strengthen my little hands "because alas I learned on keyboards without dynamics and it's not easy to relearn everything

My concern is that the keyboard of the Pa4x very pros has been calibrated "piano"
But then very difficult to play fast as I would on the Tyros 5

I know it's a question of technique but also in the art of using the weight of his hands ...
It's a bit of a shame for an arranger keyboard that Korg produces on the keyboard Pa4x as "Hard" as a piano
The Tyros 5 is too light and easy, the Pa4x too hard for my case "little light hands"
We are not all virtuoso "big pro" on the keys. no more
A dealer told me that many customers prefer the Yamaha easier (as the Japanese elsewhere)
If you are looking for a heavy touch, there are other products.

But why also on the Pa4x?
I see him practicing on the E-Piano. Playing a delicate French musette is ok on the Tyros but neither on the E-Piano nor on the Pa4x

What to do ? I'm sure I'm having trouble with it.
I have a right of returns (still 22 days)
But difficult to give it back, so it sounds good ... much better than the T5
(not to mention the possibilities of extraordinary settings)

In other words it's a shame that the Pa4x is also hard to play
Too Pro?

Forgive my english (google helped me a little) Embarassed

Thanks for reading me...
See you soon
François Wink (From Switzerland) Wink

PS I have a "musikant" version of pa4x
seaside

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Touch control Reply with quote

Hi, Have you set in global- controllers-hand-velocity curve- soft 3 ? I found the Tyros 5 touch harder than the Pa4x best of luck-Terry
Stilli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Francois,

I don't find the PA4X hard to play at all but then it's all a matter of what you are used to.

My advice would be to persevere with both keyboards, do some daily workouts (scales, arpeggios and Hannon exercises are great for this) using a metronome. Start slow and increase the tempo when you can complete each exercise until your speed matches your expectations.

Couple this with your normal playing of songs etc and I'm pretty sure you will soon be wondering what you were worried about. The exercises will help put some strength in your fingers but I don't think strength is the real problem (little kids can play piano really fast), it's your brain you have to convince and the muscle memory which will come very quickly.

It will be worth it in the long run as your new skills will allow you to play any keyboard with ease.

Good luck.

Martin
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
cloumet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salut Francois,
Il y a deux ans j'ai vendu mon tyros 5 pour le pa4x, et comme toi le clavier ne me plaisait pas car trop dur par rapport au tyros.
Moi aussi j'ai des petites mains , mais je peux t'assurer qu'aujourd'hui je me balade sur le clavier comme sur un tyros.

Il faut jouer jouer et jouer et cela vient tout seul crois moi ' j'ai 65 ans)

Amicalement Patrick
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloumet wrote:
Salut Francois,
Il y a deux ans j'ai vendu mon tyros 5 pour le pa4x, et comme toi le clavier ne me plaisait pas car trop dur par rapport au tyros.
Moi aussi j'ai des petites mains , mais je peux t'assurer qu'aujourd'hui je me balade sur le clavier comme sur un tyros.

Amicalement Patrick
+1
espaceV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seaside wrote:
Hi, Have you set in global- controllers-hand-velocity curve- soft 3 ? I found the Tyros 5 touch harder than the Pa4x best of luck-Terry

Really?
I can hardly believe it.
Are all versions of Pa4x the same?
Finally, whatever the country

To press a key on the Pa4x I need ~ 92 gr and on the T5 ~ 55 gr
What annoys me a little is the pressure from the bottom to the top of the keys especially when I play chords of 4-5 sounds (C E G A C) -> (c6)
it is ~ 450 gr in the wrist;)

Playing guitar chords in the right hand, consisting of 4 sounds, on an octave (between the thumb and the little finger to quickly arpegiate pasodoble style ... pfff it's not easy with such a pressure "requested"

Yes I set the parameter to medium everywhere.

Stilli wrote:
Hi Francois,
My advice would be to persevere with both keyboards, do some daily workouts (scales, arpeggios and Hannon exercises are great for this) using a metronome. Start slow and increase the tempo when you can complete each exercise until your speed matches your expectations.

Yes children can play very well and quickly, like Mozart for example. I doubt that small hands can chain cords which Franz List uses a lot or can for example interpret studies of Chopin, not so sure ... (reassure you, me either)Wink

To get an idea, my hands are the size of Alicia De La Rochat .... and it is specialized in Mozart (eg)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgy0d2lJv9M#t=6m2s

Yes I did a lot of Hanon, but exercises very controversial by some piano teacher.
But I know that I made a mistake. For 1 year I have not touched my E-Piano (Portable Grand) ... and also ... I played too fast on the T5 and when I took the EPiano back, I realized that I create false habits Hard to play now scales very regularly ...

Yes you are right, I'm going to work slowly on the Pa4x each piece for the moment, and forbid me to play fast,and no longer to touch the Tyros for ... 6 months at least ... (?)

What worries me is the sequence of simple chords "à la Wunderlich style"
Let's say that for now I'm going to consider the Pa4x as "fitness gym" lol

After 1 week I finally start reading the doc of Pa4x, sincerely impressive what it offers to who want to "have fun" to configure the sounds etc ...

On the other hand I am a little disappointed by Drawbars because they do not offer the possibility of being linked to the many effects?

I say that because I would have liked to use the sounds through effect in "Phase Vibrato" etc as some DPS under the T5 and I get something not too bad "style wersi" (not the Helios anyway) it's almost like imitating the Hammond sound like Ethel Smith's ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCis_JktXI For that is the T5 good...

Short.
Thank all for your very nice comments

cloumet wrote:
Salut Francois,
Amicalement Patrick

Very Happy
Me voila rassuré...j'y retourne (I go back on my Pa)
merci
Jetwoman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Question about PA 4x 76 keys Reply with quote

I curently have a PA 900. The keys are light and plastic....I don't like them for piiano but good for other things. I am thinking of buying a PA 4x 76 key and am wondering if the keys are the same. The specs on both say semi weighted. If they are that light and plastic, I don't think I would spend the extra money. Thanks for any help you can give me. No where local to try out higher end arrangers.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about PA 4x 76 keys Reply with quote

Jetwoman wrote:
I curently have a PA 900. The keys are light and plastic....I don't like them for piiano but good for other things. I am thinking of buying a PA 4x 76 key and am wondering if the keys are the same. The specs on both say semi weighted. If they are that light and plastic, I don't think I would spend the extra money. Thanks for any help you can give me. No where local to try out higher end arrangers.
I had Pa900 and now have Pa4X.
The keys on Pa4X are not like Pa900, it's much better and heavier.
Anyway it's better you try a Pa4X keybed before buying.
Jetwoman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Question about PA 4x 76 keys Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I would like to try before buying but I don't think there is anywhere local. But you've helped...ie: not the same. Are the PA 4x keys plastic or something different? I am also wondering if the new PA 1000 has the same keys as the PA 900. I've sent a question about that to Korg tech support. Am trying to decide whether to go with the PA 4x from the PA 900. What difference has it made for you?
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about PA 4x 76 keys Reply with quote

Jetwoman wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I would like to try before buying but I don't think there is anywhere local. But you've helped...ie: not the same. Are the PA 4x keys plastic or something different? I am also wondering if the new PA 1000 has the same keys as the PA 900. I've sent a question about that to Korg tech support. Am trying to decide whether to go with the PA 4x from the PA 900. What difference has it made for you?
For me personally the main reason (beside the more advanced specification of Pa4x) I moved from Pa900 to Pa4X was
the good quality keybed and Tactile display of Pa4X for avoiding light's reflection on the stage.
Jetwoman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: question about PA 4x and keys Reply with quote

yeah i hear you. i have the same thoughts about it. i did find out from Korg that the new PA 1000 has same keys as PA 900. Your feedback really helps. Now Ill have to decide about the PA 4x. Thanks again.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pa4x user passionate (a little) worried keys too har Reply with quote

espaceV wrote:

What to do ? I'm sure I'm having trouble with it. I have a right of returns (still 22 days)
But difficult to give it back, so it sounds good ... much better than the T5
(not to mention the possibilities of extraordinary settings)

My advice for your issue is to exchange Pa4X with new coming Pa1000 that has a lighter keybed and you
can also save almost half of your money with a keyboard with very close factory sound library (except pianos)
and OS features with Pa4X.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
espaceV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: New Pa4x user passionate (a little) worried keys too har Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:

Hope this helps

Hi Antony
Yes I thank you very much for your advice it helps me.

François
espaceV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Honestly, it's almost easier to play on a good acoustic piano than on this kind of keyboard.

My games use a lot of polyphony (3, 4, 5 sounds many time "legato"...in one hand (Right)). and there I am not at all comfortable on such a keyboard .. On a piano once the key pressed, we do not feel the strength of the springs as on the Pa4x ...

As I said I do not have the cultural reflexes of the pianist, I always had electronic organ in the past, and the Yam go in this direction in terms of touch on their keyboards.

I will continue to use the T5 during these holidays. And I'll take next year a genos I think. I already tried it (yesterday) not so bad. But easier for my hands;)

François
end Wink
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Francois

Of course all what you say relates to your personal experiences and requirements.

Tyros/Genos is a nice keyboard but not in the professional category yet for me - I don't know what the Genos "feels" like to play but I sold my Tyros for that and several other reasons.

This is not about Yam vs Korg as they are VERY different keyboards in many ways and it is all about what we want as individual musicians.

Clearly the PA4X is not for you - all the best with your plans for the new updated Tyros (Genos).

Cheers
Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: