Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Ipad App for use with Pa4x - Forscore/Songbook +/Other?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Best Ipad App for use with Pa4x - Forscore/Songbook +/Other? Reply with quote

Hi all,

After XX (censored Wink) years as a pro musician, I've finally decided to make the transition from carrying around dozens of heavy music books to using a brand new 512gb Ipad Pro (which, I've just bought).

I've searched old Korg forum threads and see a couple of people championing Songbook + and a couple of others briefly mentioning Forscore (I sent a PM to one person about Forscore a week or so ago but haven't heard back from him yet).

Based on my initial research, Forscore (with over 8000+ 4 star+ reviews on the app store) appears to be the biggest and most well established in the marketplace. Plus it sells for only $9.99.

Songbook +, on the other hand, appears to have more comprehensive (at least in the manual/product description) midi options/functionality but doesn't appear to have enough users to rank on the app store ranking chart). Plus it retails for $49.99.

As you can imagine, it will take quite a lot of work to set up (converting all of my fake books, sheet music etc. into pdfs and then loading them into the app), so, I'd like to know if anyone out there has used one or both of the apps and has any strong recommendations or pointers, as to why I should choose one of them over the other.

I'm not too worried about the price difference but am keen not to waste too much time on the wrong solution.

I'm currently slightly leaning towards Forscore, mainly as it seems to be such a mainstream, well supported app but am slightly apprehensive about whether it can do all of the midi connectivity that is needed with the Pa4x (i.e. Importantly, I want to be able to select and search for songs (songbooks) on either the iPad or the Pa4x and instantly call up the complete kbd settings at the touch of a button). I also, read that Forscore can also now use a songbook entry to play audio files too (which may potentially be handy, I guess).

So, any ideas, comments and suggestions you can share will be very welcome (I am, of course, especially interested to hear from those that are already using either app in regards to the Pro's, Cons or issues/problems that you've encountered).

Many thanks,
Jon
Stilli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to check out UnrealBook! https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/unrealbook/id370135173?mt=8

Brilliant app - I've been using it for years. It is rock solid and really easy to use! Full MIDI control operations, song playback, setlists, and much more.
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Miden, I'd seen the name of that app around on some of the notice boards but hadn't really looked at it in any detail before.

I've just had a quick look at the Unrealbook website and app features/description and, on the face of it, it does appear to offer very similar functionality to Forscore and Songbook +, so, I'll definitely look into it some more and will add it to my shortlist/options.

Thanks for letting me know that it has been working well for you.

Best wishes,
Jon
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Songbook+ is the ultimate app for KORG and YAMAHA!!!
I use it for years!!! You can use MIDI Commands also!!!

Regards,
Dimitris
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with Forscor, so cannot offer a comparison. I use Songbook+ which I really like -
* Tag each song with the Korg song code (ie as attached to an entry in the Pa4X Songbook). Select a song in Songbook+ and it will automatically open that on your Pa4X with settings
* Conversely, select an entry in Pa4X and it will auto display the score in Songbook+
* Create setlists in Songbook+ or just type name of the song you are looking for
* Add 'Action Buttons' to your scores for such functions as 'Go to page' or send 'Send Midi' which can be used to trigger a style variation, break, etc or voice volume

Getting your pdf's into Songbook+ in bulk can be done easily using iTunes, and likewise backing up all your Songbook+ scores and settings to PC.

There is a free version which has full functionality, just limited to number of songs you can load, so can try all the features.
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dimitris and Pa4x_user, for your input/advice.

It's good to hear that you've both been using Songbook + without any issues for quite a while.

And yes, from what I can see, the midi implementation/functionality definitely seems to be one of the strongest of all of the similar apps and the whole app seems to be based around good connectivity/interactivity with arranger kbds.

Out of interest, which interface do you guys use and/or recommend to connect the iPad to your Korg kbd (am particularly interested if you've found connectivity with the interface to be stable (i.e. no crashes) and if it uses USB or midi connections on the kbd)?

FYI, I'm planning to use a 12.9 inch iPad pro once it arrives (it's currently on back order), so it would be great if the interface powered it too (I read somewhere that some interfaces can't power the pro series iPads).

Thanks,
Jon
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use the Apple camera connection kit with lead plugged into USB Device on rear of the Pa4X. Never a problem
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pa4x_user, thanks for letting me know that you use the CCK.

Best wishes,
Jon
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using UnrealBook for years, I'm a ForeScore convert.

They just keep improving it and releasing updates almost monthly. I use the Midi functionality with my Kronos and Nord Stage 3 Compact.

I can't seem to find the correct Midi sequence to select a song in a Setlist, but I can select a songbook entry.
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kbrkr, that's interesting to know.

Yes, I'm not sure if Forscore have a bigger development team than the other apps but they definitely seem to be very active on the ios app development front and also seem to have a very large user base too, which, I guess, helps them to pay for future app dev work.

I'm definitely interested to see how much can be done on the midi front with their app though and it sounds quite promising that you've already got things partially worked out with your app-to-Korg songbook midi communications.

For such a popular app, I'm surprised that I haven't heard that more Korg arranger owners are using it though (unless the midi functionality isn't quite there yet, of course).

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Best wishes,
Jon
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep as does Unrealbook which also (in fact sometimes it has updates twice a month) further it too can control your PA remotely. haha I even did video of it years and years ago on Youtube Smile

You can even add things called a "hotspot" anywhere on the chart sheet and even THESE can gave MIDI commands (sysex included) so you cna not onyl select a songbook entry with the chart loading you can also at the tap of a hotpsot send midi data dynamically as the song progresses.
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Miden, that's good to know.
Best wishes,
Jon
400nvd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Onsong for 5+ years now. I play in a rock band and need to be able to fast select my instruments set up with midi. It can handle Chord&Lyrics charts text based as wel as PDF sheets. Midi, drawing, music playback from an internal or external l library is supported. And much more.
http://onsongapp.com/

I have my iPad connected to 2 instruments (Korg PA4 and Nord E5) with an Apple camera kit and a USB splitter. Onsong support separate midi instructions on multiple channels for the individual instruments.

Last edited by 400nvd on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Snoopy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jonyblues:

Hi,

if you want to do it "the quick way" with Songbook+ (SB+)

Just use your iPad and take a photo of your sheet(s). SB+ saves it as pdf and you can address it to any SB+ entry.

I use a YAMAHA Razz MD-BT01 Adapter ( MIDI via bluetooth ) for the connection of SB+ and my PA4X.

Works excellent in both ways ( the PA4X selscts SB+ entries and vice versa ) and you´ve got the connector of the iPad still useable ( e.g. for power-supply ).

The support from SB+ shall be excellent ( I had no need to use it so far... ), the programmer usually answers within 24 hrs ( even he is suiss he should do it in english language too ) Wink

5 Years ago I owned a Ketron Audya5, and SB+ was the only reason for me to buy an iPadAir and I did never regret it.

PA4X MUSIKANT, OS 3.1.0, PKG-Version
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: