Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi! New here, and S/PDIF question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyrth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Hi! New here, and S/PDIF question Reply with quote

Hi everyone! This is my first post. Just got a Korg Kronos, moving up from the Yamaha Portable Grands I've been using for the last several years. I'm blown away by how much I can do now. But also blown away by the daunting learning curve. Smile TLDR question at the bottom.

What I want to do is connect my Kronos to my DAW to record audio. I used a regular analogue audio cable with a Focusrite Scarlet Solo, which worked ok, but I had to be real careful with the gain or else it would clip. But since the Kronos has S/PDIF digital outputs, I figured I might as well take advantage of those for the best quality.

I returned the Solo and I purchased a Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 specifically for its S/PDIF capabilities, only to discover it was a different kind of S/PDIF. Apparently S/PDIF comes in two formats: optical (which the Kronos uses to output) and Coaxial (which the Focusrite uses). It's a learning experience.

I searched the forums and the internet, and looks like I need a converter. But I also saw people having trouble even with the right connections.

TLDR: What converter would you recommend for recording S/PDIF digital output from the Kronos? I found this one. https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Converter-Bi-Directional-Repeater-ROOFULL/dp/B01N32C5GT Would this do the trick?

Before I continue buying cables and converters I thought I'd check here Smile Or is just using USB for audio just as good in the end (it's way easier and cheaper, but the audio quality seems iffy) Loving the Kronos so far. Most of my time with it has been in the manual and watching tutorials though. haha Thanks for your time.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return i8i6 and get Focusrite 18i8 Gen 3 ( it has one OPTICAL INPUT that connects directly to Kronos via TOSLINK cable ) , or Focusrite 18i20 ( is even better option: 2 x IN/OUT )

I do NOT know much about Focusrite optical connections ( I own MOTU, which works very well ), and how reliable they are, but I would not use the converter.
fclef

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Other choices Reply with quote

Check out the Audient iD14. It contains numerous inputs including an optical ADAT/SPDIF input. It uses a USB computer connection, has a small form factor and is built well. The included software is also very easy to use. I've been using an iD14 for several years and have found the sound to be excellent. Check out the reviews.
In the past: Korg DS8, M1, T3, Trinity, O1W, Wavestation, Triton Extreme, Triton Studio 76
kyrth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOoooh that looks perfect. Thanks a lot for the help! I'm returning the Focusrite and ordered the Audient. Glad I don't have to have a super Frankenstein cable setup (or settle for noise) Smile
Perilous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about this. The Kronos S/P DIF is not the same as ADAT even though the ports look identical. Different formats, I guess. Never able to get the Kronos to work in this way with the Antelope Audio Orion Studio. While that Amazon converter should work, it would be so much better to go directly into your main audio interface. I have heard a few success stories with Motu and RME devices in this regard.
Keep us posted!
Poseidon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid works with Korg Kronos with only one TOSLINK cable. MOTU interfaces anable you to set the format of digital data.

Before buying an interface, a TIP would be to look in a manual for any statement that optical input can be used as either ADAT or S/PDIF.
IAA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used my Kronos spdif direct to my apogee interface for several years. I prefer it to taking the audio out.

Hope it goes well
fclef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Audient will work... Reply with quote

Just to clarify: the Audient iD14 will work with an optical SPDIF cable from Kronos. I've been using it to record into Cakewalk for several years. The output port is listed as a combination ADAT/SPDIF port.
In the past: Korg DS8, M1, T3, Trinity, O1W, Wavestation, Triton Extreme, Triton Studio 76
Xenophile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an answer, but a related question...

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Kronos' USB audio out versus S/PDIF for recording audio to a DAW?
Poseidon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Kronos' USB audio out versus S/PDIF for recording audio to a DAW?

Those who prefer Thunderbolt/firewire or PCI express interface, thanks to S/PDIF, they can have a clean most transparent path.
So we could say it's Thunderbolt/firewire/PCI express vs USB.

In my case I find even old Firewire better option than USB.

Should I choose a FireWire or USB audio interface?

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210046023-Should-I-choose-a-FireWire-or-USB-audio-interface-

USB, Firewire & Thunderbolt: Which Is Best For Audio?

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/usb-firewire-thunderbolt-which-best-audio
kyrth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, and a quick thanks to everyone who replied! The iD14 came in today, and after several hours of learning how things work and troubleshooting, it's working perfectly! I'm super excited. Smile

Xenophile wrote:

I'm a newbie to the technical side of things, but from using both, the USB sound quality is really bad. S/PDIF is near perfect to my ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: