Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change patch on M50 from Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkAngel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Change patch on M50 from Kronos Reply with quote

First post on this forum, just hope someone can help.
I have Kronos,73 and M50,62 midi via usb. Kronos is principle Keyboard. From Kronos set list, is it possible via midi to select patches on the M50 thus tying both patches on the keyboards to a particular song from the Kronos set list?

I use the M50 for incidental phrasing on songs and it is a pain switching patches between songs while performing on the M50. I makes matters worse when the Bands set list is adjusted before a gig for the M50. Easy on the Kronos as I can cut / insert or paste songs in set list order.

Any Help would be welcome
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not without also organising the Programs / Combis on the M50 in set list order.

DarkAngel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Patch Change on M50 from Kronos Reply with quote

On the M50 they are in Order on combi "D" pages, but how do I get the kronos to change the patch on the M50 from Setlist on Kronos, is there a setting somewhere I am missing?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you cn send on the Kronos a program change, if you use a combi, and set for eg. MIDI channel 2 (your M50) to EXT (or EXT2) and a value for the change. They don't even have to be in the same order, but maybe in the same bank.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DarkAngel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I have been able to learn from another source that it is not possible to do what i want connected using USB, it has to be via Midi Cable. But then patch change, from Kronos to M50 defaults to Combi bank A. My set list combi's are in Bank D on the M50.
So it's back to the drawing board on this one.
A short solution I think is to add an additional cable to the footswitch I use on the Kronos and then plug into the M50 so both patches change sequentially on both Keyboards. I just have to set Bank D to start on the M50.
Its a work round until I can figure out a better solution. Maybe using a PC tablet running an App of some description as a controller.

I have seen keyboard players with some sort of controller switching keyboard patches to racks of instruments so there must be a solution.
DarkAngel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I have been able to learn from another source that it is not possible to do what i want connected using USB, it has to be via Midi Cable. But then patch change, from Kronos to M50 defaults to Combi bank A. My set list combi's are in Bank D on the M50.
So it's back to the drawing board on this one.
A short solution I think is to add an additional cable to the footswitch I use on the Kronos and then plug into the M50 so both patches change sequentially on both Keyboards. I just have to set Bank D to start on the M50.
Its a work round until I can figure out a better solution. Maybe using a PC tablet running an App of some description as a controller.

I have seen keyboard players with some sort of controller switching keyboard patches to racks of instruments so there must be a solution.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For multiple instrument patch controllers, take a look at Rick Wakeman's rig for the ARW tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQNWiCqFJaw

There's a multi instrument MIDI controller on the right hand end of the rig, looking from Rick's perspective. It may be a Sycologic.

And there's:

http://www.rocktron.com/midi-raider.html

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bank Change can be disabled, either in the M50 Global MIDI settings, or alternatively in the Kronos Global MIDI, so it is possible to stay in Bank D on the M50, whilst changing Program Bank, Combi Bank, or Setlist slot on the Kronos. A MIDI cable is required, as you mention, and the M50 will play notes struck on the Kronos. To stop M50 notes being played from the Kronos, use an in line MIDI event processor e.g.:

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

Last edited by voip on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkAngel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, at last I have something I can work with.
Now I think I'll hook up my old Korg Poly800 with a long Midi Lead and play at the front with the fret *ankers Laughing
lighthawkva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: M50 combo change from Kronos Reply with quote

Did you figure out how to use the Kronos to change banks and combos on the M50. I just purchased the Kronos and am not having luck. I have a Kurzweil PC3 and it is so easy to change banks and programs. Thanks in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: