Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monologue AUDIO IN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demonp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Monologue AUDIO IN Reply with quote

Hi! I cant understand how it works. I try to plug the guitar into my monologue to use its filters and drive etc, but there is no sound.
Audio IN is enabled in settings.
I can hear that the guitar is pluged in if I press the key, but in this case I hear the sound of a key also.
I tried to connect it through the mixer also, but no result or at least not what I want.
The manual doesnt say a word about it. Please help! Embarassed

There are videos on youtube, people playing like this, but no description on how they did that.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the guitar is plugged in directly, its level may be too low. Passing the guitar audio through a mixer with line level out may help. The Monolgue needs a mono jack plug. If a stereo/TRS type jack plug is being used for the guitar signal, the monologue may be shorting out the audio from the guitar.
demonp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, but I tried to plug through the mixer also. With all mono cables. All I can get is highly distorted (clipping) sound (because of a high volume from guitar) IF I press press some key and play a guitar. And the guitar voice will not be edited by filter as I can hear it out.

I was watching the guy, who made a track with monologue and guitars/volca/mic. He made a sequence to make it work, but I can't get how to make a sequence without internal sound?
LM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn the levels of both oscillators all the way down?
demonp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! Thank you, I figured it out already. Why didn't they mention this in manual???
I better leave it here, just in case someone will be in same situation:
1. Plug your instrument in AUDIO IN (for guitar no additional amp is needed)
2. Record any sequence
3. Turn both VCO volume down
4. Play sequence than play instrument
- you can use Filter, Resonance, Drive and EG
- if you record one pressed note all the way in sequence, it will be smooth
- if press a note in every single step it will make slicing
- switching off SEQ buttons wil add some "rythm".
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to have to run a sequence to hear the audio input signal, use a sustain pedal to hold a trigger note open.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
demonp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
If you don't want to have to run a sequence to hear the audio input signal, use a sustain pedal to hold a trigger note open.

I dont have it Smile
LM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also the Monologue itself does not have a sustain pedal input.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LM wrote:
And also the Monologue itself does not have a sustain pedal input.

Wow, weird. Does it respond to CC 64? Using a controller you could send a sustain on/off message to achieve the same effect as using a pedal.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
mono-mono83

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in the manual, page 3 (Block Diagram). Audio is going between the VCO and VCF. The VCO can be at whatever volume you want to blend with the audio input. You don't need to play a sequence, sound is coming through as long as sound is getting through the envelope.

I don't see the point of holding a continuous note, then you're just running it through a straight filter and drive, and that's boring.

I think there are more unique possibilities here, like syncing the beat of the audio in, that way you can use the LFO and EG in interesting ways. I guess if you're playing a live instrument through it you can sync to a sequence, but that's just one of many possibilities since you can run any type of audio through.
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or just pin down a note (with tape, a match...etc etc) to open the VCA
demonp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mono-mono83 wrote:
This is in the manual, page 3 (Block Diagram). Audio is going between the VCO and VCF. The VCO can be at whatever volume you want to blend with the audio input. You don't need to play a sequence, sound is coming through as long as sound is getting through the envelope.

I don't see the point of holding a continuous note, then you're just running it through a straight filter and drive, and that's boring.

It doesnt work otherwise.
And the main problem is, that acording to manual, you just plug in something noisy in audio in and it works, but NOT! Only if the key is pressed.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demonp wrote:
And the main problem is, that acording to manual, you just plug in something noisy in audio in and it works, but NOT! Only if the key is pressed.

The synth's envelopes need to triggered by something for the sound to come through. It would be useless if a lead plugged into the Audio In were to bypass the envelopes as it would mean you could never play the synth properly if the external input was jack regardless of whether any audio passing into the synth.

RC-IA wrote:

I used to use a lead in between the keys for holding notes on my MS-20. Not too good for the lead or the keys I don't think but, it worked.
demonp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
demonp wrote:

The synth's envelopes need to triggered by something for the sound to come through. It would be useless if a lead plugged into the Audio In were to bypass the envelopes as it would mean you could never play the synth properly if the external input was jack regardless of whether any audio passing into the synth.

RC-IA wrote:

I used to use a lead in between the keys for holding notes on my MS-20. Not too good for the lead or the keys I don't think but, it worked.

Thats why I use SEQ Smile no need to hold anything. Just hold a key, record it through all 16 pads and there you are Smile
mono-mono83

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding a key down is silly, you don't get use of the EG that way. Running a sequence through the monologue is neat, but limiting. If you want something really unlimited, hook up to a DAW and record longer sequences that can sync to the audio. You can convert audio to MIDI, and tweak it and run it through the monologue.

Does anyone have any interesting samples of running audio in? I can't come up with anything that sounds really cool, it's all kinda 'meh'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: