Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALMOST NO VOLUME

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smifenuf1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: ALMOST NO VOLUME Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I spent a lot of money on this machine and have very high expectations but I can't even get out of the gates.

I get almost no volume even when the volume is turned up all the way on the machine and the powered monitors. I had old monitors so I went out and bought Sterling MX3 monitor set and same results. The manual says- NOTHING- just plug in powered monitors and use the master volume. I'm not one to complain without checking it out to see what I"m doing wrong. Again, manual has no info; I tried two different monitors- including brand new ones and I looked through the menus and I don't see any way to fix this. I'm sad and desperate. machine was bought in May 2017 and due to unforeseen circumstances- I am just now able to start using it. Sad and frustrated.

Interestingly, I have a Korg D1600 digital recording studio and they do work when plugged into that. BUT I should note that even with headphones on- I can barley hear volume through the keyboard. something seems very wrong. If you've heard of this please let me know of a solution and be detailed if you would
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are playing styles, check the style play volume balance control knob
If you are playing MP3/MIDI (Song Play mode) check the MP3 volume slider and check the player1/2 fader control

Does the low volume happen the same in STYLE PLAY, SONG PLAY and SOUND PLAY modes?

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Go to the Global > Audio & Video > MP3/Speakers page. and turn the speakers ON.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ALMOST NO VOLUME Reply with quote

smifenuf1 wrote:
Hi folks,
I spent a lot of money on this machine and have very high expectations but I can't even get out of the gates.

I get almost no volume even when the volume is turned up all the way on the machine and the powered monitors. I had old monitors so I went out and bought Sterling MX3 monitor set and same results. The manual says- NOTHING- just plug in powered monitors and use the master volume. I'm not one to complain without checking it out to see what I"m doing wrong. Again, manual has no info; I tried two different monitors- including brand new ones and I looked through the menus and I don't see any way to fix this. I'm sad and desperate. machine was bought in May 2017 and due to unforeseen circumstances- I am just now able to start using it. Sad and frustrated.

Interestingly, I have a Korg D1600 digital recording studio and they do work when plugged into that. BUT I should note that even with headphones on- I can barley hear volume through the keyboard. something seems very wrong. If you've heard of this please let me know of a solution and be detailed if you would
Hi,
First welcome to the forum.
Just some basic questions, no offense, in order to help you.
1- Is your keyboard Pa4x?
2- Are you trying/playing with the Factory styles through the headphone?

Just trying to help.
Regards

Last edited by BR on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi smifenuf1, there are a few things that you can look at to resolve your issue.

1. Ensure that the outputs are set correctly in global. Go to Global/Audio & Video/Audio In And then set the Audio Out to Left+Right (page 498 of the full manual gives more details).

2. Ensure the volume knob is turned up on your Sterling speakers.

3. Normally, I'd suggest to use a small mixer in between the Kbd and the powered speakers but I see that the Sterling Mx3 operating manual suggests that you should be able to connect the kbd directly to the Sterlings, so theoretically, your setup should work even without a mixer (be careful you don't overload them though!). FYI, a mixer is generally one of the best ways to boost a mismatched signal/level and to properly power powered speakers (I always use one in between my kbd and my powered pa speakers) but if you want to keep gear/expenses to a minimum, you should still be able to get good levels without one, with your particular setup.

4. Finally, (and probably most importantly) if you want to massively boost the kbd levels that the Korg is sending out (and, in my opinion, significantly enhance the sound quality of the entire Korg kbd too), one of the simplest/best ways to do this is by using the Maxx Master EQ settings - Go to Global/Maxx Master EQ (page 502 of the manual for more info). Here, you can fully adjust the EQ of the entire kbd PLUS adjust the master Bass, Treble and Stereo.

Also, which is particularly relevant to you, you can adjust the Master Volume too here. Adjusting the volume alone, will boost the overall output of the KBD massively. I personally have my Master volume set to 8.5-9 (without adding any significant noise/hiss or other issues).

I hope that this helps.
Best wishes,
Jon

Last edited by Jonyblues on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:17 am; edited 2 times in total
smifenuf1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Didn't work Reply with quote

Hello
Thanks.
It has almost no volume in any of those modes. Volume balance on screen and knobs and sliders all the way up.

karmathanever wrote:
If you are playing styles, check the style play volume balance control knob
If you are playing MP3/MIDI (Song Play mode) check the MP3 volume slider and check the player1/2 fader control

Does the low volume happen the same in STYLE PLAY, SONG PLAY and SOUND PLAY modes?

Very Happy
smifenuf1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: didn't work Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes they are all the way up and on already.

pawlikp100 wrote:
1 Go to the Global > Audio & Video > MP3/Speakers page. and turn the speakers ON.
smifenuf1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ALMOST NO VOLUME Reply with quote

Thank you

1. Yes Pa4X - I didn't mention that because I thought I was already in that section.
2. Mentioned already that it doesn't work with headphones nor with different powered monitors including a brand new one i bought: Sterling MX3 monitor set; out of the box.

First welcome to the forum.
Just some basic questions, no offense, in order to help you.
1- Is your keyboard Pa4x?
2- Are you trying/playing with the Factory styles through the headphone?

Just trying to help.
Regards[/quote]
smifenuf1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the detailed response.
1. Already correct and double checked.
2. of course, already did that but thansk
3. I've never had a keyboard where a mixer was a requirement- not even the manual says that- says powered speakers are fine.
4. thanks, did that. didn't help. i shouldn't have to massively boost anything just to simply hear something other that the faintest of whispers out of this machine.

I appreciate your time.

i've got everything turned up. all settings correct and up. all knobs turned up. i think this keyboard is junk only it's too late for me to return it as i didn't get a chance to use it until now. i should have stuck with Yamaha. this is starting to really make me angry now.

Jonyblues wrote:
HI Pawlikp100, there are a few things that you can look at to resolve your issue.

1. Ensure that the outputs are set correctly in global. Go to Global/Audio & Video/Audio In And then set the Audio Out to Left+Right (page 498 of the full manual gives more details).

2. Ensure the volume knob is turned up on your Sterling speakers.

3. Normally, I'd suggest to use a small mixer in between the Kbd and the powered speakers but I see that the Sterling Mx3 operating manual suggests that you should be able to connect the kbd directly to the Sterlings, so theoretically, your setup should work even without a mixer (be careful you don't overload them though!). FYI, a mixer is generally one of the best ways to boost a mismatched signal/level and to properly power powered speakers (I always use one in between my kbd and my powered pa speakers) but if you want to keep gear/expenses to a minimum, you should still be able to get good levels without one, with your particular setup.

4. Finally, (and probably most importantly) if you want to massively boost the kbd levels that the Korg is sending out (and, in my opinion, significantly enhance the sound quality of the entire Korg kbd too), one of the simplest/best ways to do this is by using the Maxx Master EQ settings - Go to Global/Maxx Master EQ (page 502 of the manual for more info). Here, you can fully adjust the EQ of the entire kbd PLUS adjust the master Bass, Treble and Stereo.

Also, which is particularly relevant to you, you can adjust the Master Volume too here. Adjusting the volume alone, will boost the overall output of the KBD massively. I personally have my Master volume set to 8.5-9 (without adding any significant noise/hiss or other issues).

I hope that this helps.
Best wishes,
Jon
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
I would suggest doing a factory restore just in case before doing anything else!
If this doesn't help too i may be able to help you diagnose the problem through PM (as getting into different modes isn't allowed to be discussed public here and i will respect the rules of the forum).
smifenuf1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did that already- thanks!

musiccankill wrote:
Hello!
I would suggest doing a factory restore just in case before doing anything else!
If this doesn't help too i may be able to help you diagnose the problem through PM (as getting into different modes isn't allowed to be discussed public here and i will respect the rules of the forum).
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi smifenuf1, (sorry for getting your name wrong in my previous post) the only other thing that I can suggest is to reload the OS in case it is corrupted. I know that you've tried a factory restore but a full reload of V 2.0 OS (and then, if that works v2.1 afterwards) may make a difference.

Also, I know that you've probably checked this already but ensure that you don't have any pedals plugged in to the kbd just in case they are sending an expression level message (and/or are in the wrong socket).

Finally, when making sure that any of the sliders on the kbd are at the top, bring them down to the bottom first and then take them all of the way to the top (just in case some volume info has been programmed into them mistakenly).

Also, if nothing else works, try to have a look inside the headphone socket, just in case anything is stuck in there (as this would prevent the headphones from working and would also, potentially disable the outputs.

Good luck.

Best wishes,
Jon
smifenuf1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: THANKS EVERYONE- PROBLEM SOLVED Reply with quote

THANK you all so much; problem solved. Even though I bought new monitors they were still too cheap at only $100 for both (Sterling). I went out and bought JBLs at $150 each ($300) and now it works fine; same with headphones. My Yamaha worked fine with anything. for some reason Korg only works with better monitors- strange but...problem solved.
Thank you everyone.

SHannon

Jonyblues wrote:
Hi smifenuf1, (sorry for getting your name wrong in my previous post) the only other thing that I can suggest is to reload the OS in case it is corrupted. I know that you've tried a factory restore but a full reload of V 2.0 OS (and then, if that works v2.1 afterwards) may make a difference.

Also, I know that you've probably checked this already but ensure that you don't have any pedals plugged in to the kbd just in case they are sending an expression level message (and/or are in the wrong socket).

Finally, when making sure that any of the sliders on the kbd are at the top, bring them down to the bottom first and then take them all of the way to the top (just in case some volume info has been programmed into them mistakenly).

Also, if nothing else works, try to have a look inside the headphone socket, just in case anything is stuck in there (as this would prevent the headphones from working and would also, potentially disable the outputs.

Good luck.

Best wishes,
Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: