Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arturia Vintage Collection V6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Arturia Vintage Collection V6 Reply with quote

This release surprised me - Version 6 includes 4 more classic keyboards:

Clavinet
Fairlight
DX7
Buchla Easel

€399 new or €199 upgrade, but I'm not upgrading for the time being as I'm spent up.

All the synths in Version 5 have been updated with high resolution graphics (great with a 4/5K iMac).
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a toughie as there is not much there that really interests me in terms of new synths, the Buchia probably the most as a source of abstract sounds, but the upgrade offer is time limited until 10th Jan.

It is probably worth it for the feature improvements for the resolution/scaling upgrades and my ageing eyes! Smile And of course keeping up to date for the next big upgrade! Smile

I think that Arturia missed a trick on their choice of emulating an FM synth. The DX7 has been done before, e.g. Native Instruments have FM8. I have so much DX7 compatibly in my studio: FS1r, Kronos, Nord G2 and Montage (and via my own conversions by sy.factory for my TG77 and SY99).

Now I am sure that Arturia's DX7 implementation will be a fine synth, but for me the holy grail would have an SY77 or SY99. I would have been much more excited if Arturia (or anybody!) would do an SY AWM/AFM model. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, if you have a previous version of V Collection run the Arturia Software Centre and do an update.

You will get the new versions of the plugins you already have and also AL3 which contains the new synths engines and a load of patches that use them.

All for free to give you a taste of what you are missing Wink

P.S. The DX7 is well worth a look, I guess you can download a demo.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
Guys, if you have a previous version of V Collection run the Arturia Software Centre and do an update.

You will get the new versions of the plugins you already have and also AL3 which contains the new synths engines and a load of patches that use them.

All for free to give you a taste of what you are missing Wink

P.S. The DX7 is well worth a look, I guess you can download a demo.

Good point. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love and use V Collection, but for the first time I'm disappointed with their update: the upgrade price is steep at 199 Euro; and, while all previous releases have been faithful feature wise, the CMI V plugin is not a faithful reproduction of the Fairlight. There are likely licensing issue; but I'd sooner they not do it at all than not do it faithfully. Nobody is interested in the Arturia-specific added sample features - people will stick to the likes of Ableton or Kontakt for that.

If we're interested in the Fairlight it's because of i) its famous edit, synthesis and sequencer "Pages" and ii) it's sample library - and while they are partially represented here, it's authenticity we're interested in at this stage.

Given it's one of few digital synths they've reproduced, and given their ability of emulate the likes of the Minimoog and CS80 with such completeness and authenticity; one would have hoped for a quite comprehensive emulation of the Fairligh; unfortunately this is not one.
Davd C. Polich

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
It's a toughie as there is not much there that really interests me in terms of new synths, the Buchia probably the most as a source of abstract sounds, but the upgrade offer is time limited until 10th Jan.

It is probably worth it for the feature improvements for the resolution/scaling upgrades and my ageing eyes! Smile And of course keeping up to date for the next big upgrade! Smile

I think that Arturia missed a trick on their choice of emulating an FM synth. The DX7 has been done before, e.g. Native Instruments have FM8. I have so much DX7 compatibly in my studio: FS1r, Kronos, Nord G2 and Montage (and via my own conversions by sy.factory for my TG77 and SY99).

Now I am sure that Arturia's DX7 implementation will be a fine synth, but for me the holy grail would have an SY77 or SY99. I would have been much more excited if Arturia (or anybody!) would do an SY AWM/AFM model. Smile

NI's FM8 never sounded like a DX7, and never worked like one either.

Your Montage is essentially the SY99 reborn, with features the SY99 never had. And it sounds loads better than the SY99.

I think V-Collection 6 is outstanding, all of the new synths sound great, and all of the older synths sound better (much better) than previous versions, with the possible exception of the Jupiter 8V, which is beaten by Roland Cloud's Jupiter-8.

The B3-V still doesn't sound like a B3. It does a reasonable emulation of the old Hammond L-100, though.

Back to the rest of the collection, all of the GUI's have been much improved, and every synth has a brand new set of presets, which are all top notch contributions from excellent programmers I personally know and can vouch for.
xp50player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can wait until the next $99 upgrade sale for vCollection6. I hope they change the default velocity response of the DX7V, as not many people are triggering it from a Mk1 DX7 with velocity 0-99.

Not a fan of Arturia’s electromechanical emulations, but I understand they are meant to be light on CPU and storage.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xp50player wrote:
I can wait until the next $99 upgrade sale for vCollection6. I hope they change the default velocity response of the DX7V, as not many people are triggering it from a Mk1 DX7 with velocity 0-99.

Actually - what you propose here won't work - since the sounds were designed on a keyboard with velocity of 0 - 100; playing them on a keyboard with a velocity of 1 - 127 doesn't work - they always sound too bright! When i play SY77 / 99 sounds from my OASYS they always play wrongly, and I have to adjust the velocity curve of the OASYS to get close to their original intent.

Updating this post - actually - I think I read somewhere that Arturia went to a lot of trouble to make all the presets the provide sound correct - so I suspect they may have manually edited a lot of original DX presets (lowering Operator levels) to make them sound correct on a keyboard that plays to a velocity of 127. If the case - what it means is that any new sounds will sound just fine on a modern MIDI keyboard too. Must do a little digging to find out what it was they did to improve the presets - because currently A-B tests reveal then to be the same as the originals (when played on a MIDI keyboard).
xp50player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this video and you will see how the Arturia DX7V velocity works.
https://youtu.be/iHycGwuWcn0

The MOD-7 OSC page in Kronos has brightness and vel/brightness macro parameters to offset the 0-99 vel limit in the original DX synths.
dranandj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought aturia4 on sale for £144. Then I paid €100+tax20% for an aturia4 update. Then I paid another €100+tax20% for upgrade to aturia5. Then they are asking for another €200+20%tax for upgrading to aturia6.

Eventhough their products may be very good and worth the money, most of us here are not multi-millionaire professional musicians yet to spend €700 in 2years for a few vintage instrument upgrades. Moreover there are equivalent products available with great sounds. Not to forget Oasys & Kronos have a ton of beautiful sounds that after almost 10years of using it, I still haven’t fully explored.

I have decided to stop upgrading Arturia completely and will stop using their products when the support runs out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: