Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Kronos, why now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimDavis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Why Kronos, why now? Reply with quote

I recently bought and immediately returned a PA700... It was too weak for my taste...

After watching Youtube demos I realized I want something like either a Korg Kronos or Yamaha Genos or PA4x....

But what makes me nervous is that being so close (6 weeks away) from NAMM 2018 and I live in CA, close by to Anaheim.

I don't want to commit an instrument just to find out I should've wait for 6 more weeks.
If Korg or Yamaha comes out with something new version of these instruments I'd like to get my hands on that model.

I am not a keyboard player so to say. Just want to buy for developing/recording my own jingles, soundtrack themes and so on...
Serious hobbyist you may call...

Please exclude the cost from the consideration and let me know what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Thanks,
Old Sparky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I would wait 6 weeks. It will be here before you know it.

TBH if you are "developing/recording my own jingles, soundtrack themes and so on...Serious hobbyist you may call... ", do you really want to spend around £3K on a keyboard (which is admittedly one of the best) when you can get software packages like Native Instruments Komplete 11 for around £400. Or you could get this with the Komplete Kontrol keyboard for about £,1300. So less than half the price of a Kronos 2 61 at around £2,700

I have invested in hardware myself (my Kronos X61 and a Montage 7) but that is because I gig, and whilst I will be using soft synths on stage, I still (for now) want the comfort blanket of hardware synths as well, that and the fact that a well specified PC will still not run more than a few instances of the more resource hungry synths, which is not enough for me for live use for some things I wish to do.

But if I was not gigging I doubt I would by another new hardware synth now. So worth thinking about (the software route) as an option if you have no plans to gig.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Why Kronos, why now? Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:
I recently bought and immediately returned a PA700... It was too weak for my taste...

After watching Youtube demos I realized I want something like either a Korg Kronos or Yamaha Genos or PA4x....

But what makes me nervous is that being so close (6 weeks away) from NAMM 2018 and I live in CA, close by to Anaheim.

I don't want to commit an instrument just to find out I should've wait for 6 more weeks.
If Korg or Yamaha comes out with something new version of these instruments I'd like to get my hands on that model.

I am not a keyboard player so to say. Just want to buy for developing/recording my own jingles, soundtrack themes and so on...
Serious hobbyist you may call...

Please exclude the cost from the consideration and let me know what would you do if you were in my shoes?
Thanks,

Here in the US, many retailers have 30 day no questions asked , 100% refund before " X " days.

But you also say you are not a keyboard player. The Kronos is way to much for novice.

I would remove it from your list and consider the Krome.

I think you also need to demo as many beinner- intermediate keyboards , hands on as possible.
leonh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by leonh on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
leonh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another one

Last edited by leonh on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
leonh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And again

Last edited by leonh on Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:25 am; edited 3 times in total
leonh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we may have maybe new synth engine for Kronos in 2018 rather than all new one and that is in my opinion companies in general don't tend to change bestselling model just for sake of it ,only when competition catches up or sales dry .
For keyboard itself you can't go wrong with Kronos it's a complete package nothing better out there.
exsequor699

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kronos satisfies the keyboard needs of so many musicians all around the world, including major artists, it will get the job done for you as well. There is no evidence of a Kronos successor from Korg, not even a hint. I don't think we'll see a Kronos successor soon. And if it does come out soon, it won't take away any of the marvelous features of the current Kronos.

Try to analize your needs in order to make your choice, Kronos is a very complex instrument. And each keyboard have more convenient options depending of what you need.

Last edited by exsequor699 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg does usually drop some kind of hint. When the Kronos came out, it was just a teaser video, just told us the name, and not what it actually was, but it got us all to pay attention to NAMM 2011. So far, we've heard nothing. No hype whatever.
JimDavis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I forgot to mention but recently I am retired and looking for a challenging hobby.
I know either KRONOS or GENOS are sophisticated instruments with steep learning curve.
Yes I am not a keyboard player. Guitar and bass and drums for many years but keyboard was always a step child of my hobbies.
I also have a computer background, so complicated electronics are not strange objects to me...

The reason I want the best possible instrument, so it has to seduce me with it's looks, capabilities in order me to spend many hours day after day with that...
I don’t want to buy something just for the sake of having one at home and then forget about it somewhere in my closet.
leonh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:
BTW, I forgot to mention but recently I am retired and looking for a challenging hobby.
I know either KRONOS or GENOS are sophisticated instruments with steep learning curve.
Yes I am not a keyboard player. Guitar and bass and drums for many years but keyboard was always a step child of my hobbies.
I also have a computer background, so complicated electronics are not strange objects to me...

The reason I want the best possible instrument, so it has to seduce me with it's looks, capabilities in order me to spend many hours day after day with that...
I don’t want to buy something just for the sake of having one at home and then forget about it somewhere in my closet.

Well if you like complicated then you can't go wrong with Kronos it can do everything you want so I don't think you will get bored anytime soon .
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:

A computer background might help. But the sticky parts of Kronos for a total beginner are file management , navigation from A to B and very small font size .

For example, do you have excellent reading vision ? You will need it.

You should view the Kronos training videos on Kronos. There is 1 on navigation and it is excellent. Absorbing that will get you past a 'you don't know what you don't know ' situation.

BTW, there are other outstanding keyboards that are much less than Kronos and will significantly challenge you starting today.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:

A computer background might help. But the sticky parts of Kronos for a total beginner are file management , navigation from A to B and very small font size .

For example, do you have excellent reading vision ? You will need it.

You should view the Kronos training videos on Kronos. There is 1 on navigation and it is excellent. Absorbing that will get you past a 'you don't know what you don't know ' situation.

BTW, there are other outstanding keyboards that are much less than Kronos and will significantly challenge you starting today.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wwait of course. 6 weeks is enough time to browse around online and in stores to familiarize yourself with the many details of each of your favorites.
No matter what you get, you won't get it all in one but you can come very close with Kronos.
if you do not have any pressing detail requirements that must be onboard your choice gear, then Kronos will be the best and even better IF a newer upgraded version is only 6 weeks away.

After Kronos, the only thing that gets me rubbing my wallet is computer based options. Most of what is missing in any hardware synth is more than compensated for by any of a good number of computer based options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: